On An Island: Full details courtesy of Brain Damage

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
Gem
Hammer
Hammer

On An Island: Full details courtesy of Brain Damage

Post by Gem »

At long last, we can now bring you full details of David Gilmour's new album, On An Island, which hits the stores on March 6th in the UK and Europe, and March 7th in the US.

The album will mark the release of David's first studio recordings since Pink Floyd's 1994 multi-platinum The Division Bell.

The press release makes a number of revelations about the album. "From the first moments of the sound collage that begins On An Island, you know it's a special experience that not only bears comparison with the best of Pink Floyd, but also confirms their lead guitarist and singer as an outstanding solo artist.

"Here he reveals a personal vision and a breadth of styles -- folk, jazz, orchestral and rock -- brought together as a unified piece through his lyrical guitar playing and instantly recognizable voice.

"With orchestrations by the renowned Polish composer Zbigniew Preisner and a luminous production (assisted by Roxy Music's Phil Manzanera), virtuosity abounds. On An Island Guest artists include David Crosby and Graham Nash singing harmonies, Robert Wyatt playing the cornet, Caroline Dale on cello, Alasdair Molloy on glass harmonica and Pink Floyd's Richard Wright guesting on Hammond organ.

"Gilmour shares writing credits with writer Polly Samson, continuing a collaborative partnership that began with The Division Bell. The album's songs tell of shared experiences that evoke a breadth of moods, from the hauntingly beautiful title track 'On An Island' (with a guitar performance set to enter the Gilmour canon of classics) to the meditative 'The Blue' and 'A Pocketful of Stones,' as well as the heavier rock and blues numbers 'Take A Breath' and 'This Heaven.' In the spirit of intimacy, this album sees Gilmour's debut on the saxophone, as well as contributions by contemporaries from his pre-Floyd days.

"On An Island is a collection of songs and instrumentals that had its genus in the critically acclaimed 2002 London Festival Hall concerts. Gilmour has stepped out of his super-group to discover he's still at his peak -- and he's rightly pleased. "It's my best and most personal work," he says. "Making it with my musician friends has been a positive experience on so many levels." And touring it this spring can only take him to a new high."

The ten tracks on On An Island, which has been produced by David Gilmour, Phil Manzanera and Chris Thomas, are:

Castellorizon
On An Island
The Blue
Take a Breath
Red Sky at Night
This Heaven
Then I Close My Eyes
Smile
A Pocketful of Stones
Where We Start

Additional performers on the album include David Crosby, Graham Nash, Richard Wright, Robert Wyatt, Phil Manzanera, Jools Holland, Georgie Fame, Caroline Dale, Guy Pratt, Willie Wilson, and, from Pink Floyd's earliest incarnation, Rado 'Bob' Klose. We set up a page on this site quite recently (click here to visit it) that has been showcasing each artist that appears on the album, as we've got to hear about their involvement.

Read the full Brain Damage article here.
Gem
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Gem »

On An Island press release PDF

Track credits are listed on the discography page of David's site.

Polly Samson contributed vocals to Smile, and played piano on The Blue. :shock: Nice to see Rick Wright contributed vocals to The Blue, as well as playing Hammond organ on the title track. :)
ironbaden
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ironbaden »

Nice to see Mr. Klose and Mr. Wright on more than 1 track :D
MadJedi
Judge!
Judge!

Post by MadJedi »

gem, why did you lock a post that already had this? it seems to me the original post was fine, did you feel like you could do better? kinda rude in my opinion...things like that will make others wonder why post if a mod is gonna lock it and repost it themselves. im not trying to be a "troll" but you could have posted to THE OTHER post what you wanted to say.
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

As there is only 10 tracks on the album, the songs must be long, which is good news.I'm getting excited about this album.Come on March 6th.
Gem
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Gem »

jedi with crazy diamonds wrote:gem, why did you lock a post that already had this? it seems to me the original post was fine, did you feel like you could do better? kinda rude in my opinion...things like that will make others wonder why post if a mod is gonna lock it and repost it themselves. im not trying to be a "troll" but you could have posted to THE OTHER post what you wanted to say.
This thread was posted 6 hours before the one that was locked, Jedi. There's no cause for complaint. I locked a thread that duplicated the content of an existing thread.

I can't imagine how easy your life must be for something this trivial to register as a concern.

Drop it.
Rambutan
Axe
Axe

Post by Rambutan »

I cannot wait for this album. It's the first album I've been excited about in a long while.

There's just something special about David Gilmour.

As already stated it's awesome to see Bob and Rich on more than one track. roll on march :D
Narek
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Narek »

Gem. wrote: This thread was posted 6 hours before the one that was locked, Jedi.
Umm the other thread was posted on Jan. 20th at 7:00 AM and this one at 1:25 PM. Maybe there's something wrong with my computer but I doubt that. :?
ally
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ally »

does it really matter?

anyway...i love the album cover...i'm getting pretty excited about the album.
Ultraman
Axe
Axe

Post by Ultraman »

Gem. wrote:
jedi with crazy diamonds wrote:gem, why did you lock a post that already had this? it seems to me the original post was fine, did you feel like you could do better? kinda rude in my opinion...things like that will make others wonder why post if a mod is gonna lock it and repost it themselves. im not trying to be a "troll" but you could have posted to THE OTHER post what you wanted to say.
This thread was posted 6 hours before the one that was locked, Jedi. There's no cause for complaint. I locked a thread that duplicated the content of an existing thread.

I can't imagine how easy your life must be for something this trivial to register as a concern.

Drop it.
Hmmm... it does appear that I posted first. Perhaps Ms. Gem is annoyed that I scooped her :wink:
Gem
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Gem »

Ultraman wrote:Hmmm... it does appear that I posted first. Perhaps Ms. Gem is annoyed that I scooped her :wink:
Genuine mistake. Sorry about that Ultraman.
b.king
Knife
Knife

Post by b.king »

I don't know about you, but there is too much cello on this album. What we need is moe cowbell. Gotta have more cowbell!
rot66
Axe
Axe

Post by rot66 »

b.king wrote:I don't know about you, but there is too much cello on this album. What we need is moe cowbell. Gotta have more cowbell!
Agree on that, too much cello may make it sound dull I'm afraid...

But, anyone noticed that some tracks are credited: Gilmour/Samson
while two others are credited Gilmour/GilmourSamson.. What you make out of that?

Tor
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

Gilmour/Sampson means David wrote the music, Polly wrote the words.
Gilmour/Gilmour-Sampson means David wrote the music, and they both co-wrote the words.Although to be honest, seeing as they are married, it could be Gilmour/Gilmour & Gilmour/Gilmour-Gilmour.But that would be getting a tad complicated.
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

A bit of trivia, the album was recorded at various studios, including Abbey Road, and The Astoria, David's own house boat studio.Plus some was also recorded at British Grove Studios, which is owned by Mark Knopfler!!.A Good friend of David's.