The Wall

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

The Wall

Post by David Smith »

What did everyone on this list think of The Wall movie?

I thought, not bad stuff, the acting was good e.t.c but it was ruined by some totally corny moments (watch the comfortably numb section) and perhaps there should have been more animation so the animated sequences didn't look so out of place, but other than that most of the action was fine and gave a glimpse of how Waters saw the wall.
jizhomer
Blade
Blade

Post by jizhomer »

I first saw The Wall when I was about 14 - 15 I think, so I was too young to be able to follow what was going on, but I gotta say I loved it! :D .
I was just getting into Pink Floyd and after hearing the album, the movie was the next step. It opened my eyes to the power of music, which has stood me in good stead for the rest of my life.

Now I'm older I still think The Wall is an excellent movie. It's still tricky to keep up with everything thats going on but the basic concept is just amazing! Congrats to everyone involved on an excellent production. :D
(In my humble opinion anyway :oops: )
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

It's good

Post by Stiggs »

Actually I saw the movie before I bought the CD. I liked the movie a lot, and I had some Pink Floyd songs on my computer, so I knew most of the songs. I thought it was an interesting movie to say the least, so I bought the album. I honestly prefer the album over the movie because there are a few parts of the movie that I felt weren't necessary, or should have been something different. All in all it's great, but the CD's better, because I can have my own private screening in my head...hmm...kinda makes me wonder if The Wall could be performed on Broadway...interesting...
djproject
Axe
Axe

Post by djproject »

As far as with the film, it was a good attempt to capture it theatrically (as oppose to musically in both album and live form). However there were some things I would have done differently with the showing. The key one is I would have made thoughts and rationale behind the wall. For an example, "Vera" will have Pink behind his wall watching TV and acting out his grief. This is all visually happening although it represents something metaphorical.

Broadway could be the way to go as far as realizing that idea. However I think using Flash animation and having access to the Internet is better because: it's accessible to everyone (contrary to limited live shows) and (here's the biggie) it's demonstrating that it's communication that cures alienation and what better why to show that by using a tool for massive communication. It be interesting to see both.

Shine on!

DJP
pinktim
Axe
Axe

The Wall, the Movie

Post by pinktim »

The first time I saw the Wall movie I was not impressed at all. Since then I have seen it several times. I have never seen it in a cinema or movie house. All viewings have been on video at home. I think that the movie is not a good representation of what Roger originally wanted to put forth. I get the feeling that it is an afterthought and some what cobbled together after much too much filming. There are some points in the film where some of the ideas do get explained somewhat. Comfortably Numb is an example of that. But, then there is Another Brick in the Wall Part 2 which has gotten some good press, but, I find it more gruesome than in any way carrying a message.

There is one thing that I have always found weak in the Wall which is not bolstered in the film version. That is the end. There is just no real end to it. Actually the only time I have ever heard what sounds like a real end to the project is on the Live In Berlin concert. The film certainly does not give any closure in this area. At least as far as I am concerned.
sound_chaser
Axe
Axe

Post by sound_chaser »

I could never get into the film. I found it too bleak and depressing. I'll have to give it another go. As for the ending of the album Pink Tim, I think it's really poignant. Pink has descended into complete madness and everything he held dear has slipped away from his grasp. He has sunk just about as far as it’s possible to go. And that’s where there is hope. Pink didn’t commit suicide, which for him would have been the ultimate price to pay. For him, everything will now have to change as he begins the slow recovery from mental illness. But the point is he won’t be alone. Listen to the final song again. Supporting him will be his real friends and family that he can count on. And as in real life, they won’t give up. They will continue to “bang their hearts against some mad buggers Wall”! Pink will eventually have got better. That for me is the whole point and why I find more optimism in the album.
pinktim
Axe
Axe

disjointed

Post by pinktim »

I have always been of the opinion that the album is a little disjointed. From the first time I heard it, when it came out, I found that is is not as smooth as say Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here or Animals. I think that it would be hard to follow if I did not actually all of the story behind its development. I understand the points about Pink's fate. But, I ask you do you know this from listening to the album, watching the film, listening to Live in Berlin? I think if all I had was the album I would find it hard to really tell the story.

The film puts a little unity into the image. And, Live in Berlin adds some more ideas.
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

The Wall's the schitt

Post by Stiggs »

I had heard about half the songs from the Wall before I saw the movie. The movie made a lot of sense, and then I got the album. I can honestly say that I prefer the album over the movie, because there are just some parts that I don't agree with.
As for understanding everything, I can understand The Wall just perfectly by just listening to the album. The movie does a great job of showing some things that can't be explained by words, or showing what Roger Waters meant by what he said. As for Live At Berlin, I honestly haven't heard it. Guess I should.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I like the movie but it is not successful in creating depth of character for the audience. As a movie, it is badly made and very poor indeed. As a big music video, it is great!

I can't wait for The Wall Musical. I think Roger is working on that or wants to. Can anybody shed any light on this? :D
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

Musical

Post by Stiggs »

I have read no reports about Roger Waters thinking about doing a The Wall musical. But to be quite honest, I have a great idea about what I could do. But in some parts I'm absolutely clueless. For example, take the song "Hey You." How can I represent that on stage? And in Waiting For The Worms, when Roger is using that bullhorn to represent Pink yelling at his legions of followers, what the heck is he saying? I can understand the first, like, 5 seconds. But I do believe that given enough time and work, The Wall - The Musical could be a masterpiece. The album sure is.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I am going to listen to The Wall album right now! I was going to do some revision for my exam on 29th but I have most certainly changed my mind now!! :lol:

Re: disjointed

Post by Guest »

pinktim wrote: I understand the points about Pink's fate. But, I ask you do you know this from listening to the album, watching the film, listening to Live in Berlin? I think if all I had was the album I would find it hard to really tell the story.
My thoughts are purely from the original album. For me, Pink’s whole world caves in at Stop. Here, he is just a frightened schoolboy again. He’s pleading for a return to some sort of normality and focus in his life. That is like an alcoholic standing up in a room full of strangers and admitting he’s got a problem. In, The Trial, there is no one but poor frightened Pink. Everything that’s thrown at him from his Mother, his Wife, The Schoolteacher and The Judge are nothing but figments of his imagination. But in order to transcend to a better life, Pink has got to exorcise the demons of his past. Not just the physical presence of the people who have hurt him (most notably his Mother and The Scoolteacher. The damage was long done when he met his wife!)), but also the vicious mental scars, which have driven him through superstardom to a complete mental breakdown. In order to get better, which he will in time, he must lay the ghosts of his past behind him. He will have to say to himself, “Well those things happened to me. There’s nothing I can do about the past except put it to bed and stop torturing myself. My future starts today and it’s going to be different.” You know the song, One Day At A Time? Well that’s what it’s going to be like for a while. And more like One Hour At A Time! The songs Stop and Outside The Wall, indicate Pink’s desire to change his life. This is merely the end of a chapter. We obviously don’t know what happened to Pink, but my guess is that he recovered, learnt to love himself and his life, found and fell in love with the woman he’d been longing for and resumed his career, but with a totally different focus. If Pink has learnt anything, he will have learnt how to be happy with what life has given him. I mean, if he’s that famous, he’s going to have wads of cash with which to enjoy himself. Of course, it’s always possible that he chose an entirely different route. He may have found it impossible to heal the wounds. In order to change and enjoy your life, it’s something that you really have to work hard at. With Pink, I can only hope he chose wisely; the next Wall he builds can be one entirely of his own creation!
sound_chaser
Axe
Axe

Post by sound_chaser »

Oops, forgot to sign in. I'm sure you knew it was me pinktim.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Great stuff, Sound_Chaser. I also love how open-ended The Wall is at the end.
Furious
Knife
Knife

Post by Furious »

I think even Roger has stated that The Wall doesnt really end.

but a lot of literature never ends

even 2 lined jokes dont have resolutions (if they did,they wouldnt be funny).

it just stops ata logical point.

with the open endedness of The Wall, Roger kind of says to me "Well, if you ever find yourself likethis, in a postion where you block everything around you, but come out of that haze, I can't tell you what you have to do next, it's something you have to figureout for yourself. Do it your own way"

Lyrics like that of Pink Floyd, look hard enough at it, and you'llseethat what they are really about is a force of change. The Wall tells us of a story of a man who isolates himself from humanity, and by doingthis, Floyd are effectively saying 'Dont Do What Donny Dont Does!' :p

embrace others. embrace yourself. and if you find yourself in this postion, get out of it!

maybe you have to trial yourself,too. I don't know.

I don't have all the answers

(I might act like I do,sometimes, though :p)