A good friend of mine died

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
oldhippy
Judge!
Judge!

A good friend of mine died

Post by oldhippy »

I travelled over to Bridport early today and heard about this. I feel so gutted and sad at what has happened. :cry:

Here is the story from the local paper.

Tributes after death of Big Issue seller

FLOWERS mark the spot where popular Big Issue seller Martin Pugh, who died suddenly on Monday, could normally be found selling his magazines, writes Charlie Francis-Pape.

The 38-year-old and his dog Rhubarb had a regular pitch next to the Town Hall, where tributes and messages have been tied to a pillar. Mr Pugh, also known as Pugh, collapsed at about midday on Monday while visiting a friend in Charmouth, but was dead before paramedics arrived.

Tributes from friends and shopkeepers describe a smiling happy man who loved to chat to people.

Girlfriend Amanda Wright said: "A lot of people judged him because they saw him on the streets, but nobody knew the real Pugh, who loved animals and would travel early mornings, sometimes 60 miles, to get his papers to sell."

Friend David Cockeridge, who described the Big Issue seller as like a brother, said: "He always had a smile for everyone. He would stop and talk to anyone, even if it meant missing a sale of the Big Issue."

The pair lived together in a tent at Asker Meadow for three months until it was burnt down by vandals and they slept rough for a while.

Mr Cockeridge said: "We used to read books together, he loved reading. We also had a radio and used to love listening to Wessex FM on a Sunday night when they play three hours of 1970s rock music."

Originally from Southampton, Mr Pugh had lived in Bridport for many years, but had also lived around the world, including India.

He was a punk in the early eighties and then a traveller who loved living on the road and spent two years in Ireland.

Miss Wright said: "Pugh loved life and loved to party. He was loved by his friends and will be sadly missed by many people internationally.

"He was the life and soul at all the parties. He was a good stepdad and a generous, loving, kind boyfriend. I am going to miss him and hope he is at peace."

First Choice travel agents were among those to place flowers at the site.

Jackie Glynn, of First Choice, said: "Martin used to come in every day to change the money that he had earned. "He was a really lovely man, he used to chat to all of us. We couldn't believe it when we heard."

Staff at Frampton's also paid tribute to Mr Pugh. He stored his bag in the shop and would often be given a bone for his dog by butcher, Phil Frampton.

Bruce Joy, who works at the butchers, said: "On Christmas Eve, after he finished work, he came in the shop and had a few beers with the staff. It was great to chat to him." Colleague Adam Smith said: "We used to give him cups of tea and bacon sandwiches, which he really enjoyed, especially on a cold morning."

A heart-felt poem placed with the tributes by Mr Cockeridge includes the lines: "Martin your heart is bigger than any man alive. Little town of Bridport, don't let Martin down, Remember just how hard he worked to earn his money in this town."

Many people got to know the Big Issue seller after stopping to talk about his faithful friend Rhubarb. The three-year-old dog is now living with Mr Pugh's girlfriend.

An inquest is due to be opened and adjourned today. Police said there were no suspicious circumstances.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Oh jeez, sorry to hear that, sounds like he was a real nice guy. I guess theres not much that can be said really other than offering my condolencies.

All the best,
Stu
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Sounded like a good guy. :(
Jack Dempsey
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jack Dempsey »

It's a nightmare when people like this pass away

My thoughts are with you Old Hippy
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Very sad, especially to go so young. Why is it we always have to lose the good ones so young? Condolences to you Old Hippy.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Sorry to hear that Oldhippy. :(
My cincere condolences.
jonesy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by jonesy »

sorry to hear of your loss of a great friend :(
Slambient Expressway
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Slambient Expressway »

sorry to hear that man :(
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

It's very sad that a person that young could just die suddenly. Condolences.
oldhippy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by oldhippy »

Thank you all for your kind messages. At times like this it?s comforting to know I?m among friends no matter how far apart we might be.
Maisie
Axe
Axe

Post by Maisie »

from one old hippie to another sorry to hear of your friend's passing... hard to lose a friend.... :cry:
MadJedi
Judge!
Judge!

Post by MadJedi »

damn that is shitty, my best wishes to you and his family :cry:
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

damn...
it's always a sad thing when good people leave.
my condolences...
Palomafloyd
Knife
Knife

Post by Palomafloyd »

he was a very good person, died very young, was your friend....thats sad...
:cry: :cry:
my best wishes to you old hippie
Colinmiles
Embryo
Embryo

Re: A good friend of mine died

Post by Colinmiles »

I’m so sorry to hear this. Me and Martin were mates at school but then drifted apart.I’d always wondered what he’d been up to and decided to try and look him up hence I’ve found this.
RIP Martin (punky Pugh)