alot of pissed off people

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.

do you think its fair?

yes, i got mine at prerelease
50%
no, its the only way some of us could get tickets and now they are no good
50%

Total votes: 16

MadJedi
Judge!
Judge!

alot of pissed off people

Post by MadJedi »

holy shite! there is going to be ALOT of pissed off people:
Monday 30th Jan 2006: Albert Hall targets eBay reselling
Some questions have come to the FAQs Page, asking about the validity of tickets sold on eBay for various David Gilmour shows, as we highlighted on the Features page on December 27th. So far only London?s Royal Albert Hall has taken a stance against tickets re-sold on eBay and other sites, and actively seeks to prevent the practice.

Promoters Harvey Goldsmith Ltd. obtained the following statement from the Royal Albert Hall: ?Sale of tickets to the public are limited to four per person and cannot be exchanged, refunded or re-sold. Any tickets sold by the Royal Albert Hall which are found to have been re-sold will be cancelled. Tickets will not be sent out until one month before the performance and the fact that tickets may not be re-sold will be clearly printed on the face of the tickets. Where we have sufficient details about the tickets that are being re-sold, we notify the customer that we are cancelling the ticket, refund the purchase price, cancel the original tickets and then put the seats on sale again to the public. We would strongly caution people against purchasing tickets from sources other than the Royal Albert Hall Box Office and authorised agents, as tickets purchased from these sources may be refused entry?.

The Albert Hall has staff that scan eBay for tickets that are being offered for sale, so there is a very real possibility that your sought-after pair of David?s London show tickets from eBay may be invalidated.

At the moment, the Royal Albert Hall is the only venue that we know to operate this policy, but this may of course change in the future.

and what about all the ticket brokers selling them? are they going to target them as well?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I think people who buy/sell tickets at way above face value deserve all they get.

If there are 1,000 tickets on sale for ?10 each, then fans can sell that show out for a ?10,000 cost to the fans.

If half of those tickets are bought by touts and sold for ?20 each, then the cost to the fans will be ?15,000.

The reason touts are selling tickets at these prices and thus inflating the overall amount of money the fanbase is spending on concerts is that silly people are willing to pay silly prices for tickets.

On the other hand, allowing tickets to be sold at auction means that only the people who really really really want to go will be willing to purchase the tickets. So, the biggest fans will get their tickets first then we trickle down the list until the tickets are sold out.

One argument against this thought is that not everybody has the same income and art should not be about money really. People should have the same chance of getting a ticket regardless of how much spare cash they have.

So, in conclusion, those who promote the secondary market for concert tickets are firstly, costing the fan base as a whole more money to attend the show and, secondly, denying other fans a fair chance at getting tickets because of their financial position.

Well done the Royal Albert Hall.

Of course, selling your tickets to someone at face value is an honourable act!! 8)
MadJedi
Judge!
Judge!

Post by MadJedi »

i agree but at the same time there are alot of poor blokes (who could only get second hand tickets) who will be in for a suprise when they show up to the show. i feel if they are targeting ebay they shoud persue the online ticketbrokers as well, they are selling for prices higher then ebay. it is a rough situation as i am looking for tickets for the 2 new york nites and dont think i will be able to afford them along with my chicago trip, and if i could get face value tickets i could afford to go but not when paying $300 per ticket...
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

jedi with crazy diamonds wrote:i agree but at the same time there are alot of poor blokes (who could only get second hand tickets) who will be in for a suprise when they show up to the show.
By "second hand tickets" do you mean ones sold in a secondary market at an inflated price?
MadJedi
Judge!
Judge!

Post by MadJedi »

yup. i was one of the luckys to get tix for both nites in chitown (and only got 3 for each nite) but missed out on the ny shows and have been scurring aroud looking for 2 for each ny show but only find $250 + tickets. the true fans like me who are willing and able to afford to travel around and see his shows are the ones losing out. I FEEL GILMOUR IS WORTH $150 A TICKET, so i dont mind paying more for them
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

Keith Jordan wrote: Of course, selling your tickets to someone at face value is an honourable act!! 8)
Very true 8)
Floydian Slip
Axe
Axe

Post by Floydian Slip »

I bought my tickets on eBay because it was the only way I could. (It was sold out when I tried to buy them officially)

At the end of the day, we live in a market driven society and it all comes down to supply and demand.

I wanted the tickets, someone else didn't and so we traded at the market price.

Unfair? Annoying? Yes, but then so are most things in life...
MadJedi
Judge!
Judge!

Post by MadJedi »

Floydian Slip wrote:I bought my tickets on eBay because it was the only way I could. (It was sold out when I tried to buy them officially)

At the end of the day, we live in a market driven society and it all comes down to supply and demand.

I wanted the tickets, someone else didn't and so we traded at the market price.

Unfair? Annoying? Yes, but then so are most things in life...
very true.
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

I think the venues should offer up a deal to concert goers that states something like-

"If you happened to buy tickets on Ebay at an inflated price, you may send in your tickets, along with proof of purchase (maybe a Paypal reciept?) and details on where you obtained them, to our venue. We will send you legitimate tickets and will prosecute those responsible for selling the original tickets at an inflated price. Once those responsible are prosecuted, you will recieve a refund minus the actual ticket cost and a small prosecution fee."

Thus, people like me who bought tickets on Ebay can still go the show with legitimate tickets in hand, get SOME money back, and try to put a stop to the practice of ticket-gouging. :lol:
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

cwta eugene wrote:I think the venues should offer up a deal to concert goers that states something like-

"If you happened to buy tickets on Ebay at an inflated price, you may send in your tickets, along with proof of purchase (maybe a Paypal reciept?) and details on where you obtained them, to our venue. We will send you legitimate tickets and will prosecute those responsible for selling the original tickets at an inflated price. Once those responsible are prosecuted, you will recieve a refund minus the actual ticket cost and a small prosecution fee."

Thus, people like me who bought tickets on Ebay can still go the show with legitimate tickets in hand, get SOME money back, and try to put a stop to the practice of ticket-gouging. :lol:
In a perfect world it might work that way but never in this 1 sad to say.The almighty $$$$$ rules and as long as some1 can try and make money they will.
floydboy75
Blade
Blade

Post by floydboy75 »

Seeings how I was at work during the time of tickets going on sale, I missed the very small window. I had to resort to going to EZTicketSearch.com. I had to pay roughly $550 for two tickets at Chicagos first show. The seats are not bad however, near dead center, first row of balcony. I'm not rich by any means, but I would have paid more. I don't think anyone should have to pay anywhere near those prices. I think the face value of the tickets are fairly steep as it is. But, what can you do?
"Money. Is the root of all evil today." So I once heard in a song.
BBM9999
Embryo
Embryo

The Ticket for the Chicago Concert thickens with controversy

Post by BBM9999 »

Hi There,
I asked on this forum for 1 ticket to either of the Chicago shows. You emailed me that you bought 2 on eBay and only needed 1 so you would let it go for the $200 you paid for it. Now you say you were lucky to get 3 tix for both nights. You are looking for 2 for NY. I think the evidence is in that YOU bought an extra ticket to sell to make a little bit on it (which in it self doesn't make you bad, it probably makes you smart actually). It's the preaching that the others who do this are less than honourable, and to a degree, some are. No hard feelings. You say Gilmour is worth $150 a ticket. Easily. I'm in Houston facing airfare, a car rental, $200 a night for lodging at the place next to the Allstate and I'm going to end up paying $500 for the best ticket I can find because this is probably the last time I'll ever get the chance to see him and Richard is a bonus - where's Nick? I'll make this an open letter to anyone who wants to sell an extra ticket. I'm here, ready and willing to buy a ticket for either Chicago concert. I guess I've said enough for now.
Peace,
Scott

PS: How can the venue know where someone got a ticket. I've noticed the eBayers are not telling the seat number, now it makes sense.

jedi with crazy diamonds wrote:yup. i was one of the luckys to get tix for both nites in chitown (and only got 3 for each nite) but missed out on the ny shows and have been scurring aroud looking for 2 for each ny show but only find $250 + tickets. the true fans like me who are willing and able to afford to travel around and see his shows are the ones losing out. I FEEL GILMOUR IS WORTH $150 A TICKET, so i dont mind paying more for them
BBM9999
Embryo
Embryo

Good For You

Post by BBM9999 »

That's a GREAT idea. Ever given thought to joining the Senate. A mind like your's could help fix this country. I don't know you but I'll go out on a limb and say you're not the corruptable type.
Scott

quote="cwta eugene"]I think the venues should offer up a deal to concert goers that states something like-

Thus, people like me who bought tickets on Ebay can still go the show with legitimate tickets in hand, get SOME money back, and try to put a stop to the practice of ticket-gouging. :lol:[/quote]
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Freddie Mercury »

But...the tickets sold on E-bay *are* legitimate in the first place.

Sounds like Gilmour will be playing to a half-empty house if they don't let all those people in. First the fans get screwed by paying too much, then the place doesn't let them in because the ticket seller (not the consumer) was in error in not having a better method of ticket distribution. How is it legal for them not to let someone in when they have a legitimate ticket? Just because it was sold on E-bay doesn't mean it hasn't been sold several times for a lower price since then to an unknowing customer...maybe someone found it on the street for free before going to the show, how do they know? If you have a legitimate ticket then you're AFAIK supposed to be guaranteed admittance...won't there be a class-action suit for not honoring tickets?

And...what if someone (like me) bought tickets off E-bay and they *weren't* at an inflated price? Is anyone checking the actual price the tickets were sold for, or just the fact that they were sold on E-bay?
MadJedi
Judge!
Judge!

Post by MadJedi »

Freddie Mercury wrote:But...the tickets sold on E-bay *are* legitimate in the first place.

Sounds like Gilmour will be playing to a half-empty house if they don't let all those people in. First the fans get screwed by paying too much, then the place doesn't let them in because the ticket seller (not the consumer) was in error in not having a better method of ticket distribution. How is it legal for them not to let someone in when they have a legitimate ticket? Just because it was sold on E-bay doesn't mean it hasn't been sold several times for a lower price since then to an unknowing customer...maybe someone found it on the street for free before going to the show, how do they know? If you have a legitimate ticket then you're AFAIK supposed to be guaranteed admittance...won't there be a class-action suit for not honoring tickets?

And...what if someone (like me) bought tickets off E-bay and they *weren't* at an inflated price? Is anyone checking the actual price the tickets were sold for, or just the fact that they were sold on E-bay?
well there are alot of places that clearly state that "tickets are non- transferable" that gives them the right to refuse admission and it clearly states on the back of all tickets that admission may be revoked.