The Madcap Laughs: What Went Wrong?

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Was PF even a top 40 band in 1970?
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

nosaj wrote:Was PF even a top 40 band in 1970?
Not just a Top 40 band! Atom Heart Mother actually topped the charts in the UK when it came out.
henno

Post by henno »

Syds playing and lyrics on The Madcap laughs are so esoteric they wernt understood by the main stream pop media world.....

i totally disagree that there was any find of animousity from Roger and david towards syd, Roger was a childhood frined of syds and dave was very close also... you dont spend a summer busking around europe with someone you cant stand.... to suggest that they deliberatly ousted the main creative force behind the band because they were jealous and thought they could do it themselves is ridiculous.....just look at rogers first attempts at song writting....'doom gloom greasy spoon'..?? :P

syd was incapable of working coherently at that stage, its obvious in the outtakes from these recordings.... also any interviews with jerry shirley and twink substantiate this.... syd wouldnt play the same way twice, therefore production was impossible leading to the raw peared back final version we have....

lets be clear here, the reason it wasnt a commercial success is because it was a very difficult album to 'get'..... the lyrics to many songs wernt traditional, if anything they were surreal poetry..... the production was sparse, there was very obvious playing mistakes...... also remember that in 1970 this album was competing against such classics as...
Band of gypsies (hendrix), Lizard (king crimson), Black sabbath, Led zep iii, workingmans dead, after the gold rush, morrison hotel, let it be, moondance and the floyds own Atom Heart mother.....

by the way, 'She took a long cold look at me' is one of my favourite songs off that album, it has often been heard at house parties when ive had a few too many.... the last stanza to that poem is deathly sad...

The end of truth that lay out the time
spent lazing here on a painting dream
a mal amour in a foreign clime
to see farther inside of me.

And looking high up into the sky
I breathe as the water streams over me