Roger Waters - Two Ca Ira shows in Poland

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Roger Waters - Two Ca Ira shows in Poland

Post by PublicImage »

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/news/0602101.html

ROGER WATERS - TWO CA IRA SHOWS IN POLAND

The world premiere performance of Roger Waters' opera "Ca Ira", will be the high spot of this year's commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the Poznan riots in 1956 (which were against Poland's communist government). We are pleased to bring you news of this, and a second performance, both being held in Poland.

Authors of the project say that "Ca Ira" will be performed in two versions. The first will be as a big open air show, taking place on 7th July at Poznan's International Trade Fair site. The second will be the full staged performance premiere, held on the stage of Poznan's Grand Theatre, in November 2006.

"The work is inspired by the French Revolution," said a statement from the municipal authorities in Poznan. "The author speaks of the eternal thirst for liberty, of the fight for freedom and for ideals. In Poland, we have known many similar rebellions."

The director and choreographer for the show is Janusz J?zefowicz, who is very well respected in Poland. Guest performers for the productions will be the London Community Gospel Choir, Poznan's Boys' Choir, and the UAM Academic Choir.

More news on these two events as we get it. In the meantime, much thanks to our friend Marek Grzesiak for his help with this story.
Jascierto
Blade
Blade

Post by Jascierto »

Hi all

Here's an update to the Ca Ira debut in Poland for anyone who's interested. It will be interesting to see how they visualize it--could be quite a treat for the eyes

http://www.theage.com.au/news/music/pol ... 85764.html

But i wonder if it will be performed in English or French
carefule eugene
Knife
Knife

Re: Roger Waters - Two Ca Ira shows in Poland

Post by carefule eugene »

PublicImage wrote:http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/news/0602101.html

ROGER WATERS - TWO CA IRA SHOWS IN POLAND

The world premiere performance of Roger Waters' opera "Ca Ira", will be the high spot of this year's commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the Poznan riots in 1956 (which were against Poland's communist government). We are pleased to bring you news of this, and a second performance, both being held in Poland.
World premiere? Wasn't that in Italy a couple of months ago?
Jascierto
Blade
Blade

Post by Jascierto »

The performance in Poland will be the first time the opera is staged, in full costume, acted out. The performance in Italy was just the music

So, i'm interested to see what the opera will look and feel like.
Neil1567/2
Blade
Blade

Post by Neil1567/2 »

On a slightly different topic,has anyone heard anything more about the proposed Ca Ira performance at the Cardiff Millenium Centre in October? Rog announced this would be happening at the Magny-Cours press conference and that Bryn Terfel would be involved.
Bob Close
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Bob Close »

http://bobclose.narod.ru/caira_poznan_explication1.html
"?a ira" in Poznan - the explication

The Main Characters:

Barbare Gutaj - The First Soprano - MARIE MARIANNE - the Voice of FREEDOM, REASON, and also REPUBLIC (always dressed in the long, white tied robe with tricoloured sash, decorated with garlands)

Monike Mych - The Second Soprano - MARIE ANTOINETTE - QUEEN of France

Magdalene Nowacka - The Third Soprano - MARIE TERESA

Pawel Skalubie and Piotr Friebe - The First Tenor - the REVOLUTIONARY PRIEST

Robin Tritschler - The Second Tenor - the OFFICER

Wayne Elington - The Third Tenor - the REVOLUTIONARY SLAVE

Wojciech Drabowicz - The First Baritone - Master of ceremony
Bob Close
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Bob Close »

"there are fates of Ca Ira premieres"
http://bobclose.narod.ru/finance_sing_romance_eng.html
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

sounds like a lot of problems, and expensive ones too
I wonder if he's doing this populist PULSE-style tour to pay for the opera?
sorta like some filmdirectors will do mainstream action blockbusters to finance the personal artfilm they really want to do
MadJedi
Judge!
Judge!

Post by MadJedi »

i heard it and am not impressed, very poor music in my opinion, but i also dont like opera
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

J Ed wrote:sounds like a lot of problems, and expensive ones too
I wonder if he's doing this populist PULSE-style tour to pay for the opera?
sorta like some filmdirectors will do mainstream action blockbusters to finance the personal artfilm they really want to do
Yes, I've been thinking that a lot lately too...he's got to pay for the opera in some way.

Thanks for a copy of the premiere, it does play on my computer at work...its a laptop so I took it home and watched a bit of it this past weekend...I may actually sit through the whole thing one day. The visuals and screen films look very interesting...better than just listening to it.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

glad to hear you got it to play Nosaj
it sure is a different experience as a full theatrical production
the album sounds so polite
yet the live version, with all the choreography and props and films, is very dark and transgressive
I recommend everybody get a copy of the Polish premiere broadcast of Ca Ira
I think its only the first 2 acts but theres so much more to absorb than just through the audio