Solo or PF

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Solo or PF

Post by David Smith »

So people, do you prefer Roger's solo work or Pink Floyd. This is what i personally think.

Roger's solo work has to much female singing to give it the Roger Waters feel, i mean, it's not really him, it's him and a whole group of women singing away.

i always felt Roger's solo work was misssing something that the final cut has, and hear it is. Direction.

Roger's solo albums seem to shift genres without really finishing exploration of each. He seems like he's trying to hard to get another hit to show Pink Floyd he doesn't need them and tries to hard to do so without establishing a proper style.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Roger uses female singers on certain tracks to contrast his singing (He used Paul Carrack for this on "The Powers That Be," too) and for backup vocals. You're making it sound like female singers have never been used on Pink Floyd albums and tours before, which is clearly not the case (Ex. "Great Gig in the Sky," MLOR and DB tours, etc.).

I feel that the PACOHH, Radio KAOS and ATD are solid concept albums that are lyrically on par with Animals, TFC and The Wall (Arguably Pink Floyd's three best albums lyric-wise).
pinktim
Axe
Axe

PF vs. Solo

Post by pinktim »

I do not think there is a comparison. When Roger left Pink Floyd he made it clear that he had other ideas he wanted to develop. His spent force comment showed that he no longer wanted to make music as a part of Pink Floyd. Final Cut in all fairness is more of Roger solo album than it is a Pink Floyd album albeit that there is still some of the folks who played in and with Pink Floyd. But, it is still issued under the Pink Floyd name plate.

Now that Roger is solo his music is different. It if nothing like what he did with the band. The use of the singers may be a hold over from what he did with Pink Floyd in some ways. But, he is using them even more in his music.

And, what has come out from Pink Floyd still follows the line that the band had come to be known for. But, the newest stuff is more in a vein that one would expect from David and Rick. And, note that they are still using the singers, too.

This is a good point to ponder. Thank you for the stimulus.
jizhomer
Blade
Blade

Post by jizhomer »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:I feel that the PACOHH, Radio KAOS and ATD are solid concept albums that are lyrically on par with Animals, TFC and The Wall (Arguably Pink Floyd's three best albums lyric-wise).
Agreed!! :D
Ailbhe
Axe
Axe

Post by Ailbhe »

Isn't it quite clear that Roger uses female singers because HE CAN'T SING!Pros and cons was the last album with any decent singing from Roger.his voice still sounded okay back in those good old days.

I :evil: mean,just listen to ATD !!!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I think Roger can sing and has a "distinctive" style. Gilmour is better though especially on the chorus to comfortably numb when on the Wall Tour. Nice. :D

I prefer the Floyd Roger Waters but Amused To Death is a great album as is pros and cons. Radio Kaos is also interesting but I suppose Roger is more about lyrics and meaning than music itself. That is just a vehicle for his words I feel. :lol:
mostHigh
Axe
Axe

Post by mostHigh »

rogers solo stuff doesn't even compare to pink floyd. as much as i think roger is a God, lets be real here for a moment.

radio kaos is way too 80s sounding for me. the lyrics and concept are brilliant i suppose but not my kind of album no matter if Jesus releases it...I won't like it no matter if Floyds name is on it., etc.,

pros and cons is brilliant along with amused to death. but still doesn't compare to floyd.

i think if roger would use less female singers like pp arnolds stupid ass then his solo music would be better studio wise and live. let doyle sing! let doyle sing some parts on the new album... let jon carin sing a few parts on the new album! it will make it better

pp arnold sometimes i think should be kicked out of rogers band

imagine pp arnold slapping roger cause roger grabbed her big butt
Benedictusdespinoza

Post by Benedictusdespinoza »

Mosthigh: I completly agree with you.
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

Roger's peak as a solo artist is AMUSED TO DEATH, and i'm looking forward to seeing where he goes with his next solo album.
RADIO KAOS has some great songs, but is let down by the production. It would also have been better had the other songs written for the album ("Going To Live In LA", "Get Back To Radio", "Molly's Song") been included, although PROJECT KAOS goes some way towards resolving that problem. But, as more than one person has said, Roger actually sounds like he's enjoying himself on the album.
Musically THE PROS AND CONS OF HITCH-HIKING is the weaker of the three, but it is still a bloody good album. Eric Clapton's solo on "Sexual Revolution" is worth buying the album for alone. And also "Every Strangers Eyes" is one of Roger's best songs.
Not sure if MUSIC FROM THE BODY counts, but I have to say that "Give Birth To A Smile" is annoyingly catchy. And I have a soft spot for the WHEN THE WIND BLOWS soundtrack.

Post by Guest »

Roger was best with Pink Floyd and even then he was better before it all went to his head. The Wall isn't all that great in my opinion and Final Cut even less so. Feel free to feel other-wise.