most interesting american war

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!

What is the most interesting American involved war?

Civil War
24%
World War I
No votes
World War II
35%
Vietnam War
24%
Revolutionary War
6%
Other (please state which)
12%

Total votes: 17

Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

most interesting american war

Post by Tommy »

for those that like history and find war interesting, what is your favorite? which one do you like learning about in school or on your own, wherever you like? im just curious to see

if this thread offends any veterans or anything, please do not be offended by it, i dont mean anything, just talking about history here
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

WW II. It should have been the war to end all wars...
eternalechoes
Axe
Axe

Post by eternalechoes »

Other. Some of the lesser known wars America has been involved in are quite interesting and worth looking up. Some noteworthy ones are the Philippine War, the first Afghanistan involvement in 79-80s, and the "Reagan Wars." :roll:

My favorite war, although not quite a real war, is the cold war. It is an amazing subject to study. Some of the misunderstandings between the US and USSR are really quite ridiculous, especially the weapons buildup. To think that the United States had the power to completely destroy the world ten times over... as if once was not enough? :?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Interesting in what way? You seen what war does to people? I am not anti war but find this topic a bit odd. But then you are a texan, Tommy, who probably has a shorgun!! :lol:
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

Keith Jordan wrote:But then you are a texan, Tommy, who probably has a shorgun!! :lol:
Um. That wasn't very funny.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

SydsMadcapGirl wrote:
Keith Jordan wrote:But then you are a texan, Tommy, who probably has a shorgun!! :lol:
Um. That wasn't very funny.
Sorry. :oops: I thought most people in texas had guns and it was a very conservative state. Death penalty and all. :)
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

Just messing with ya, Keith. I guess I could've added an emoticon afterward, or something to indicate I was kidding. Sorry.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

SydsMadcapGirl wrote:Just messing with ya, Keith. I guess I could've added an emoticon afterward, or something to indicate I was kidding. Sorry.
You will be young lady.... :lol:
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

No, YOU will be! Heh. I live in Texas, don't forget that! We all have shotguns over here. ;) :lol:
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

You have to respect Texas. Cowboys everwhere, a shoot out all day and Clint Eastwood's big ugly face being the steryotype.

Actually i'm sure it's ntohing like the media make it out to be.

I find the question a bit strange to, i'd have to say Vietnam though just 'cause i liked the film Apocolypse Now. Hmm, then again i'm sure that wasn't an accurate portrayal of it.

Erm, this is possiballly a really stupid question, but what was the Revolutionary War?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

David Smith wrote:Erm, this is possiballly a really stupid question, but what was the Revolutionary War?
Isn't that when... well... they sort of broke away from the British Empire? I am not sure... oh no, that was the war or independence... july 4th and all that?
marlowe
Axe
Axe

Post by marlowe »

I'm hoping that either:

a) Texas is thrown out/ leaves the United States (at least then you won't have just about EVERY president being a southerner -- who says the North won the war?)

or

b) the mexicans reclaiming it, which has more or less already started.
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

Keith Jordan wrote:
David Smith wrote:Erm, this is possiballly a really stupid question, but what was the Revolutionary War?
Isn't that when... well... they sort of broke away from the British Empire? I am not sure... oh no, that was the war or independence... july 4th and all that?
You are correct, Keith.
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

Marlowe, why do you care what happens to Texas? Not being confrontational, just geniunely asking. Apparently you don't even live in this country........

I have lived in Texas since 1994. I have made my feelings about it very clear in the past...LOL...i.e. the thread, "Texas". (Austin's great though.) There AREN'T cowboys running around everywhere, not everyone owns a shotgun, but hey, the general mentality here stinks, as I've said in the past.

Thought I was going to get out of here 2 months ago...I did, only to return 2 weeks later! Argh! I think I may actually be getting out of here next month though...keeping my fingers crossed. ;)
marlowe
Axe
Axe

Post by marlowe »

you're right - I shouldn't single out Texas -- it's just that Texas has become the Symbol of certain negative things, which, as this is a generalisation are neither

a) absent from other places
b) happening all over texas