Recommendations ?

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
Neil

Recommendations ?

Post by Neil »

If you could recommend 1 'non-floyd-related' rock/pop album for other board members, what would it be and why :?:
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Well, shall we leave out The Beatles? :)

In The Court Of The Crimson King - An Observation By King Crimson (1969).

Anybody who doesn't have this album needs to own it now! I'm sure Grateful Pink will back me up! :wink:

Organ, flute, distorted vocals, powerhouse percussion, extended instrumental passages... they're all here, present and correct! :lol: It's melodic ('I Talk To The Wind'), at times barmy ('21st Century Schizoid Man') and always well played, even if the sound is a little, yes, muddy. :roll:

Every song is over six minutes, too! Yes! :lol:

Seriously though, buy it now. :twisted: You won't be disappointed. Great album cover, too. :P

To many this is where prog rock began (in a good way). Or was that Caravan? :-s :lol:
Neil

Post by Neil »

Yeah lets not include the Beatles - almosy EVERYONE knows about their albums.. I was hoping to find some less known hidden gems from this thread - and that King Crimson album sounds like a great example FVP :)

Funny thing is when I asked the question I couldn't think of which album to recommend myself!! I'll have a good think.
Spirit Catcher
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spirit Catcher »

Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti 8) :D 8)
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

:oops: Hmm, I don't know if King Crimson is "rock/pop", but still! :lol:
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

Brian Eno - Here Come the Warm Jets

1973 was such an excellent year.
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

Post by grateful pink »

Well, anything live by the Grateful Dead, of course. And yes, In the Court of the Crimson King is a great album! 8)
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

Post by grateful pink »

Pugs on the Wing wrote:Brian Eno - Here Come the Warm Jets

1973 was such an excellent year.
Any Brian Eno, especially in the 70's. Another Green World is also quite excellent!
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Tubular Bells came out in '73... :-;
dogs_pigs_n_sheep
Knife
Knife

Post by dogs_pigs_n_sheep »

Larks Tounge in Aspic is a much better King Crimson album.
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

The Who - Tommy
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

Try to find some Al Stewart. Non-"Year OF The Cat", though, that was his "commerical" release.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Hit to death in the future head - Flaming lips
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

drafsack wrote:Hit to death in the future head - Flaming lips
GOOD STUFF!!!!!

I'd also say.....T.Rex!
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

So much to choose from, how does one answer a question like this. Where do i begin, i guess The Beatles are a useless band to say, lets face it, most people on this board will already have their finest work. The Stones? Again, it's just to obvious.

I suppose i would have to answer either The Stone Roses debut album, After The Goldrush by Neil Young or The Velvet Underground And Nico (3 of my 10 favourite albums ever.) The Stone Roses was the most perfectly produced rock album yet IMO with every song being worthy of a listen. People may claim DSOTM to have a no bad songs policy, but this album ACTUALLY has one.

This was Oasis years before Oasis with more swagger, lyrical poetry and composser like guitar skills than the cream of the last 20 years.

Even better is The Velvet Underground and Nico. Words do not describe the sound, laid back, sweetly melodic and down right beatiful music. If Sunday Morning doesn't relax every muscle in your body listen to Heroin, Venis In Furs, Run Run Run or I'm Waiting For The Man. Superb. I would like to describe the music, but as i said words can't.

Neil Young, a famous guy we've all heard before yeah? Well this was his best album. The laid back acoustic album is darker than anything else you can find with Neil's lyrics being made even more painful by his voice. Elsewhere i slagged off November Rain, well unlike this that's not honest rock, that's based around building up an individual feeling rather than meaning something different to everyone who hears it. This is confrontational acoustic at it's best, anyone who doesn't almost have a tear in their eye by the end of Don't Let it Bring You Down must already be dead.