Clips from OAI!

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Clips from OAI!

Post by Damn!t »

Ok you thursty lot!

Columbia records opened a DG page.
With 30 sec clips from On An Island. (not that stuff from Dave's homepage)

Check 'em.

NOW! GO! Image
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

So, what do you think people?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I like it! I like track 3 in particular. I really must sotp listening to bits of it. Its going to ruin my first complete run-through of the new album at great volume!!! :o :cry: :)
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

sounds kinda mellow...you know, the more I think about it, Smile reminds me of Neil Young's Harvest Moon...in fact, on an island cover art and harvest moon cover art, have a moon and a solitary figure...hmmm

I like the clips on his website actually.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

nosaj wrote:... the more I think about it, Smile reminds me of Neil Young's Harvest Moon...
!!! youre right!
not a bad song to be influenced by
now I think about it, I'd like to hear a Neil Young Dave Gilmour jam
Neil Young playing the solos on Dogs, Dave playing on Cortez the Killer
yes, theres a good imaginary concert going on in my mind right now...
Narek
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Narek »

I like them! Take a Breath reminds me of 'Sorrow'/ Led Zeppelin's 'Kashmir'.
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

Castellorizon sounded beautiful. And take a breath sounded good as well, this album is gonna kick arse.
Narek
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Narek »

jambo wrote:Castellorizon sounded beautiful. And take a breath sounded good as well, this album is gonna kick arse.
Damn, Jambo the last two posts you made end with 'kick arse.' :lol:
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

First impression: it's diverse! much more so than his first two soloalbums, I like that. I'm really impressed by this diversity and scope of what I hear. I did expect less, wow... 12 days to go... :D
peesea
Knife
Knife

Post by peesea »

I'll be buying the album and will listen to it over the next few months, but I'm not knocked over by it...which is a shame...but it does have some great moments by the sounds of it.

Heres my take on it from the small samples I've heard.

1) On an Island. Nice melody, lovey dovey lyrics as Gilmour goes goofy over Polly. 7/10
2) Castellorizon. Fat tone, big orchestrations....gilmouresque geetar. Predictable, but nice. 6/10.
3) The Blue. Tiresome. Yawn. This is prolly where Geldof's eyes glazed over and he suggested Dave take some speed. 4/10
4) Take a breath. Sounds like an outake from "About face"...UGHhhGggGH. 3/10
5) Red Sky at night. Sounds like it could be an intro track to TDB or AMLOR. Gilmourfloydesque. Nice sax !! 7/10
6) This heaven. Uggh. Sounds TRULY awful..another that could be a leftover from "About Face". Terrible...really... 3/10
7) Then I close my eyes. Nice instrumental sound. Could be a fave from the album for me. Sweet. 8/10
8.) Smile. prefered his live version. Love the slide sound though. His wife can't sing...you'd think after yoko-ono and Linda Macartney people would learn :D. 6/10
9) A pocketful of stones. Something new sounding. Wonderful vocal melody. Daves voice sounds excellent. 8/10
10) Where we start. Kind of Filler stuff...A little too similar to the title track. Daveish lyrics. Nice Geetar tone. 6/10

For his first new stuff in 12 years thats less than a track per year...and half of them are filler to be honest. Dave certainly ain't what you'd call a prolific writer :D.

That list is just my first impressions. I'll prolly have a totally different idea of the album in 6 months.
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

peesea wrote: 5) Red Sky at night. Sounds like it could be an intro track to TDB or AMLOR. Gilmourfloydesque. Nice sax !! 7/10
yeah, i liked the sax too.... it reminds me of some of those soundscapes bowie did with eno at the end of the 70's
ReGen
Embryo
Embryo

Post by ReGen »

ganaffe wrote:First impression: it's diverse! much more so than his first two soloalbums, I like that. I'm really impressed by this diversity and scope of what I hear. I did expect less, wow... 12 days to go... :D
I agree. All the tracks sound great to me, and certainly not like filler. I'm really looking forward to this one.
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

I liked all of the tracks, and they will all grow on me, for sure. NONE of them are filler, what an evil word to mention around a Pink Floyd related album :o. Shame on you :P .
grelch
Knife
Knife

Post by grelch »

peesea wrote:I'll be buying the album and will listen to it over the next few months, but I'm not knocked over by it...which is a shame...but it does have some great moments by the sounds of it.

Heres my take on it from the small samples I've heard.

1) On an Island. Nice melody, lovey dovey lyrics as Gilmour goes goofy over Polly. 7/10
2) Castellorizon. Fat tone, big orchestrations....gilmouresque geetar. Predictable, but nice. 6/10.
3) The Blue. Tiresome. Yawn. This is prolly where Geldof's eyes glazed over and he suggested Dave take some speed. 4/10
4) Take a breath. Sounds like an outake from "About face"...UGHhhGggGH. 3/10
5) Red Sky at night. Sounds like it could be an intro track to TDB or AMLOR. Gilmourfloydesque. Nice sax !! 7/10
6) This heaven. Uggh. Sounds TRULY awful..another that could be a leftover from "About Face". Terrible...really... 3/10
7) Then I close my eyes. Nice instrumental sound. Could be a fave from the album for me. Sweet. 8/10
8.) Smile. prefered his live version. Love the slide sound though. His wife can't sing...you'd think after yoko-ono and Linda Macartney people would learn :D. 6/10
9) A pocketful of stones. Something new sounding. Wonderful vocal melody. Daves voice sounds excellent. 8/10
10) Where we start. Kind of Filler stuff...A little too similar to the title track. Daveish lyrics. Nice Geetar tone. 6/10

For his first new stuff in 12 years thats less than a track per year...and half of them are filler to be honest. Dave certainly ain't what you'd call a prolific writer :D.

That list is just my first impressions. I'll prolly have a totally different idea of the album in 6 months.
You're rating sound bites?!?
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

jambo wrote:I liked all of the tracks, and they will all grow on me, for sure. NONE of them are filler, what an evil word to mention around a Pink Floyd related album :o. Shame on you :P .
A NEW MACHINE!