Animals
32%

Total votes: 37

alexfrentz
Embryo
Embryo

What album is better and why?

Post by alexfrentz »

There has been a long running debate among pink floyd fans concerning the superiority of either Dark side of the moon or Animals. Which album is truley superior in your opinion and disregard personal reasons because this debate is over the music writing itself.
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

Shouldn't this be in the Pink Floyd forum, instead of New Members? :)

"Animals", for sure.
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

DSOTM for me. The studioalbum of ANIMALS is IMO but a pale reflection of what it could have been. Just listen to some bootlegs of the ITF-tour 77.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

The Dark Side Of The Moon. Better songs, production and musical colour.
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

dark side of the moon by a long shot for me, greatest album ever made. also has a great variety of talent in the band shown, which was only done better with one other album (wish you were here). as far as a live setting goes, animals is better
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

Sometimes these polls confuse me. First, my favorite is Animals, although I love DSOTM, of course. It's a very tough call though. And even though my favorite is Animals, the question is, which is better, not which is my favorite. Perhaps DSOTM is better, but better by what standards?

I cannot answer this.
Piper
Knife
Knife

Post by Piper »

Animals is a brilliant album both musically and lyrically. I think DSOTM is perhaps better rounded however, for Animals is almost entirely made up of angry Roger Waters rants, which makes for a good rocker tho. The tracks on DSOTM are much more varied in mood and style, ranging from the mellow Us And Them to the much louder Money. In this way, DSOTM is "superior" in terms of encompassing a wider range of moods.
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Animals the forgotten album.

Post by Meddler »

Animals is frequently forgotten by people because it fell in between the huge hits Wish You Were Here and 'Roger Waters' The Wall featuring Pink Floyd ( :wink: ) But anyway. To me death, and going insane, are a much better subject for feeling and meaning then political satire. Animals is, however, a masterpiece. It's too bad it didn't get more attention. Animals marked the end of a Floyd Era. The electric rock era. ERE I shall refer to it... Anywho Dark Side is a better album musically and lyrically. It touches my soul. Like if there were ever a piece of music that was, somehow, made to penetrate the electrons through high frequency patterns and rhythms, Dark Side would be it. Again... I give major props to Animals. But, in my opionion Dark Side is the winner-
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Animals the forgotten album.

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

meddler wrote:'Roger Waters' The Wall featuring Pink Floyd ( :wink: )
Featuring Pink Floyd?
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

Thats what Roger wanted to originally do. I believe that was part of the reason for the break up... I might be wrong. I wasn't meaning it was mainly a Waters solo album.
eternalechoes
Axe
Axe

Post by eternalechoes »

Piper wrote:Animals is a brilliant album both musically and lyrically. I think DSOTM is perhaps better rounded however, for Animals is almost entirely made up of angry Roger Waters rants
Agreed! Although I prefer Animals for its lyrics, I think Dark Side of the Moon is more of a cohesive album. I see Animals as a prelude to the Wall, but it doesn't stand too well on its own.
dogs_pigs_n_sheep
Knife
Knife

Post by dogs_pigs_n_sheep »

I chose Animals. It is a very strong PF album, almost entirely devoid of commercial success. Commercial success pays the bills, but I'm always suspicious of pop hits. DSOTM is noticably pop, due in large part to the production values of Allan Parsons.

Still a great album (DSOTM), but Animals, Meddle, WYWH, TFC, SFoS, and PATGOD will aways hold up better to me since they had to hold their own without pop success.

This is actually why King Crimson's In the Court of the Crimson King is not among my favorite King Crimson album. I guess that makes me a popular music snob.
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Charade I am »

for me its the dark side of the moon, it shows the daily life of a human being, its about themes that concern every human being: death, money, lust, madness, etc....Animals is an excellent album, i lke it very much but dsotm is just more complete :twisted:
MikeWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by MikeWaters »

Animals all the way! Its a much better album than DSOM!

1. The lyrics are much better and have more feeling than DSOM
2. Songs are clearly better (i personally would rather listen to sheep than the whole of DSOM)
3. Better guitar solos! (and bass solo in pigs(3DO))
4. Overall Just a better album all around.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Can't say i've ever heard this debate before, and i also have to say it's quite blatantly DSOTM.

Infact i can't think of a single reason anyone would say Animals except the musicianship. The songs aren't written with half the meaning or conviction and with a song lasting 19 minutes (Dogs) it's important for the album to remain musicaly interesting, but IMO it doesn't. Unlike WYWH there's no short songs except 2 POTW songs (whcih are both perhaps a bit to short) and unlike TW it hasn't got such brilliant closure, instead the album just ends unlike other PF albums that build up towards an ending that leaves the listener with an experience (something DSOTM did brilliantly.)

Still, they're both very good albums, DSOTm is just the much better of the 2 that's all.