Without
9%

Total votes: 46

drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

The great gig in the sky

Post by drafsack »

Although this is a great track I think it would be better without Clare Torry warbling all over it. To some that squeel of pain makes the track but behind her tortured screams is some great music.
Comfortably_Floyd
Blade
Blade

Post by Comfortably_Floyd »

Being a massive floyd fan i try to learn all my favourites on my guitar and keyboard.....
i have great gig in the sky practised to perfection.....but i must say, the part where clare is supposed to come in leads to an anti-climax because i am obviously playing without clare......from there it's just not interesting enough....just a few chords over and over again.
i feel it is very emotional and i love it.......although when your on a bus listening to it on your personal stereo, and there are non floydians all around you that don't know the song.....you get a few funny looks :roll: :shock: :wink: :o
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

With, for me! A very emotional and stirring piece of music... with. For me. Thank you. :lol:
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

Feeling Very Pink wrote:With, for me! A very emotional and stirring piece of music... with. For me. Thank you. :lol:
Ditto. :)
eternalechoes
Axe
Axe

Post by eternalechoes »

Without her vocals, it just wouldn't be the same song. Her screaming parts complement the music very well.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

For me her singing is as much a part of the thing as the music.Yes I love the music but her singing(if it should be called that)is vital to the piece.
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

agreed. with
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The great gig in the sky

Post by Keith Jordan »

drafsack wrote:Although this is a great track I think it would be better without Clare Torry warbling all over it. To some that squeel of pain makes the track but behind her tortured screams is some great music.
That is crazy speak!! :lol: I find it to be moving and emotional! :D It certainlty does "make" the song!
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

That song wouldn't work without screaming. That's what makes it such a good song, it's what makes it different from everything else.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

I personally prefer the pre release version - its alot sadder and alot more emotional than the released version.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

drafsack wrote:I personally prefer the pre release version - its alot sadder and alot more emotional than the released version.
That is a nice piece of music indeed but would not have "fitted" on the album in my opinion. It would destroy the narrative of the album and the way it takes you on a journey through the mind of a rock star, afraid of flying, dying and other pressures of life. :-)
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

Every time I read on this thread...it's kinda funny to notice the "With....Without"....makes me think of "Us and Them".
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

do0es anybody know which the roio is where the piano only version is on there? i will share it with the community here. :D
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

SydsMadcapGirl wrote:Every time I read on this thread...it's kinda funny to notice the "With....Without"....makes me think of "Us and Them".
And after all, it's what the convo's all about! :|
marlowe
Axe
Axe

Post by marlowe »

without it, it would be a rather dull piano track imo.