Castellorizon.

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
Tails!
Axe
Axe

Castellorizon.

Post by Tails! »

I was just wondering what everyone thinks of the two minutes shown of Castellorizon on Gilmours site! it has wet my appetite even more than On an Island. it reminds of marooned but much more down beat! it is hauntingly beautiful!
ReGen
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Castellorizon.

Post by ReGen »

Tails! wrote:I was just wondering what everyone thinks of the two minutes shown of Castellorizon on Gilmours site! it has wet my appetite even more than On an Island. it reminds of marooned but much more down beat! it is hauntingly beautiful!
Fantastic! Very moving. :D
hummingman
Blade
Blade

Post by hummingman »

From what I've from the clips and the video, 'Let's Get Metaphysical', 'Raise My Rent' and 'Marooned' all sound better.

Still good though.
floydboy75
Blade
Blade

Post by floydboy75 »

I really enjoyed it also. Man, David sure can hold a note! I know it's not fair to say yet since I have not heard the entire song, but Marooned does sound better. Here lately I have come to the conclusion that Marooned would fit quite nice on this album. I'm betting he plays it during his shows. At leat I hope anyway!
Tails!
Axe
Axe

Post by Tails! »

i would have to agree marooned does sound better but it is one of my favourite songs EVER! and i also have to agree it would fit in perfectly with On an Island from what i hav heard so far! it would be fantastic if marooned was played on the tour as in my opinion it is a hugely overlooked song and deserved to be played on the 94 tour instead of take it back but hey...
grelch
Knife
Knife

Post by grelch »

From the clips I have seen, I think Dave's playing has improved since Division Bell. He's clearly been playing quite a bit over the past 24 months. What I really like about his playing now, and it reaaly shows in this clip, is that his playing is more spare but even more bluesy and emotive than before. The older he's become, the more he's understood that what you don't play is as important as what you do.

This is vintage stuff.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

I'm thinking....
Castellorizon is the name of a Greek Island that presumably is the one mentioned in the title track...
for concert setlist purposes I hope he remembers his keyboardist once put out an album about yachting round those islands and none of those songs have ever been perfored live!
they had a similar vibe too, some of them would fit right in
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

Im loving the song and the clip, it looks to be one of the instrumental highlights of the album, and probably a crowd pleaser live.
hummingman
Blade
Blade

Post by hummingman »

grelch wrote:From the clips I have seen, I think Dave's playing has improved since Division Bell. He's clearly been playing quite a bit over the past 24 months. What I really like about his playing now, and it reaaly shows in this clip, is that his playing is more spare but even more bluesy and emotive than before. The older he's become, the more he's understood that what you don't play is as important as what you do.

This is vintage stuff.
Although you could argue that this song shows a lack of progression in his guitar playing - compare this song to 'Let's Get Metaphysical'. They are very, very, very alike, both in the classical element and how sparingly and emotively he uses the guitar. 'David Gilmour' (the album) was released nearly 30 years ago....

Not that that is necessarily my opinion ^
grelch
Knife
Knife

Post by grelch »

hummingman wrote:
grelch wrote:From the clips I have seen, I think Dave's playing has improved since Division Bell. He's clearly been playing quite a bit over the past 24 months. What I really like about his playing now, and it reaaly shows in this clip, is that his playing is more spare but even more bluesy and emotive than before. The older he's become, the more he's understood that what you don't play is as important as what you do.

This is vintage stuff.
Although you could argue that this song shows a lack of progression in his guitar playing - compare this song to 'Let's Get Metaphysical'. They are very, very, very alike, both in the classical element and how sparingly and emotively he uses the guitar. 'David Gilmour' (the album) was released nearly 30 years ago....

Not that that is necessarily my opinion ^
Stylistically he's definitely shelved some of his tricks from the 80's (well, not tricks but accents is maybe a better descriptor). And I think he's using less overdrive, (for lack of a better word). In terms of expanding his technique, or trying anything new sounding; it's just not going to happen. He's settled where he is technically and stylistically. His sound will only become more spare. But spare doesn't mean he hasn't progressed or won't progress. Like Dizzy Gillespie, T Monk or Sonny Rollins, the older they got the more they practiced the less is more style of playing. That's where I figure Dave is these days: nothing but pure soul in his playing.