Shine On You Crazy Diamond

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

Okay... I've talked to SydsMadCapGirl about this one. We all know Wish You Were Here was based around Syd. But while driving around singing to the album I had an Epiphany (A sudden manifestation of the essence or meaning of something).... Some probably already know this, or it might just be common knowledge. If it is... sorry I didn't realize it and I'll go jump off of a cliff. But anyway to the point:

S.hine Y.ou D.iamond- S Y D

Okay thats it... if you never have noticed that I'm sure you'll like, if you have then.... :twisted:
eternalechoes
Axe
Axe

Post by eternalechoes »

:P
Interesting! I never thought of that. I always wondered why they chose such a strange name for the song, compared to the others.

By the way, I like your avatar! Those were the days...
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Interesting!! The Beatles Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds is LSD!!!! :shock:
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Shine On You Crazy Diamond

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

meddler wrote: Some probably already know this, or it might just be common knowledge. If it is... sorry I didn't realize it and I'll go jump off of a cliff. But anyway to the point:

S.hine Y.ou D.iamond- S Y D
Yeah, I noticed that on my own a few years ago. It is quite interesting.
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

eternalechoes wrote::P
Interesting! I never thought of that. I always wondered why they chose such a strange name for the song, compared to the others.

By the way, I like your avatar! Those were the days...
Thanks! I've been wanting to get it up here, had some probs, but got it working. I've made several others. But I figured this would be the best. Those were the days.
Keith Jordan wrote:Interesting!! The Beatles Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds is LSD!!!! :shock:
Funny you should say that... I'm listening to Let There Be More Light and it has the lyric:

The outer lock rolled slowly back
The service men were heard to sigh
For there revealed in glowing robes
Was Lucy in the sky

Which is a refrence to Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

SYD, my god you're right.

Well spotted :D
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

that is neat

Keith Jordan wrote:Interesting!! The Beatles Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds is LSD!!!! :shock:
john lennon denies it. the story is that julian lennon came home from school one day with a picture, and when john asked what it was, julian said "its lucy in the sky with diamonds" i honestly dont know what to think about it. great song none the less, really cool on yellow submarine
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Tommy wrote:great song none the less, really cool on yellow submarine
Yeah, I like the Lucy In The Sky sequence in Yellow Submarine as well. :) An enjoyable, if flawed film. :P
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

If The Beatles had provided their voices it would have been so much better though.
rollinder
Blade
Blade

Post by rollinder »

Tommy wrote:that is neat
john lennon denies it. the story is that julian lennon came home from school one day with a picture, and when john asked what it was, julian said "its lucy in the sky with diamonds" i honestly dont know what to think about it. great song none the less, really cool on yellow submarine
Lucy (Julian's childhood schoolfriend) appears to exist - she was on a documentary series on Radio 4 on people who had songs written about them. According to her she'd found out the song was about her (it's just the title dear via Julian - not the whole song :) ), told people in her class, only for them to respond no it isn't it's about LSD
(& she didn't know what that was)

She didn't seem to actually know much about the song - thought one of the lyrics was "picture yourself in an aeroplane", and that it was beyond something a child would write (I think she'd thought it would all be about her from Julian's point of view), & hadn't seen the picture until the presenter showed it to her.

The actual song's been atributed to john trying to write something Alice in Wonderland (never seen that myself) & later by John as being about wating to find his imaginery dream woman later fulfulled by Yoko (something like that).

I used to think it was about LSD but now think it isn't a drug song, but partially inspired by them (same for Strawberry Fields) - the name probbaly did come about by coincidence but I think John was aware of the intials and kept it as a joke. There was somebody in either Mojo or Record Collector once who was talking about Jimi Hendrix's The Stars That Play With Laughing Sams Dice (STP LSD) & reconned John & Jim had had a secret pact to smuggle drug acronyms into song titles
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

rollinder wrote:The actual song's been atributed to john trying to write something Alice in Wonderland (never seen that myself) & later by John as being about wating to find his imaginery dream woman later fulfulled by Yoko (something like that).
:roll:
Marshall
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Marshall »

I had hear about Lucy in the Sky...a long time ago, but never connected the dots about Shine On...Interesting.
Big Kelv
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Big Kelv »

David Smith wrote:If The Beatles had provided their voices it would have been so much better though.
Didn't the bloke who played Eddy Yates (old coronation street) do one of the voices?
Funny you should say that... I'm listening to Let There Be More Light and it has the lyric:

The outer lock rolled slowly back
The service men were heard to sigh
For there revealed in glowing robes
Was Lucy in the sky

Which is a refrence to Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.[/quote]

Were PF recording PATGOD in the next studio to the Beatles while they were recording Sgt Pepper. Was Norman Smith prevented from producing Sgt Pepper as he was commited to PATGOD?

I suspect a coincidence, this is not.

Help! How does the 'Quote' function work on this board?
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Big Kelv wrote:Help! How does the 'Quote' function work on this board?
Well, press the "quote" button in the post you want to quote from! That will create a new post from you, with your quote in it, which you can then edit and add your comments to. :)
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Big Kelv wrote:Didn't the bloke who played Eddy Yates (old coronation street) do one of the voices?
No idea, but i do know every member of the band said "i like what you've done with the others, but my voice is nothing like that."