the wall live
61%

Total votes: 18

Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

The Wall, studio or live?

Post by Tommy »

which album do you prefer to listen to and why? i myself prefer the wall live, i think it is better than studio for the following reasons

in general, the songs are longer and of course i always like that. also i enjoy gary yudmans introduction and all that, very entertaining.

another brick in the wall part 2 is much better, and i really enjoy ricks work alot, i think its really cool on the live album. i also enjoy one of my turns more for some reason, just sounds better

i cant decide what to think about hey you. i think it sounds great on both, but i dont like how roger joins david before his normal part in the live version, in other words i dont like the duet, but it still sounds cool.

nobody home sounds a bit dead on the live version, but that said i still like it better than studio.

comfortably numb is great on both versions, but i think i like the tone of the studio better, so i dont know what to think.

run like hell, what can i say? live version by a thousand times. i actually dont even like the studio version, but it sounds great live. as for the end of the show, i personally dont like the ending to the wall that much, just doesnt close with an incredible song, though i thnk it has a fair ending. i guess im just used to the great endings of dsotm and wywh.

anyways, thats my two cents, so what do you guys think?
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SomeGhostsStepOut »

I love the Wall LIVE!! Very great... Pink Floyd is much better live...you have a different feel on the songs. In THe Flesh? sounds more fuller & powerful. Another Brick In The Wall pt.2 is much much better live, a great gutar jams by Gilmour & Snowy, with Rick on those fantastic keyboards. As for One of My Turns....it seems to have a faster tempo than that studio. Comfortably Numb is very great live, you can't go wrong with that extended guitar solo. Run Like Hell is a LIVE song! It just is...very appropriate.
Neil

Post by Neil »

The Wall Live is better !!

Infact it's my most played Floyd album at the moment.. The intro is great from Yudman.
I also love Rogers comments before Run Like Hell - cracks me up every time. 'C'mon clap your hands together - HAVE A GOOD TIME!!! THAT'S BETTER!!!!!'
I also think it has the ultimate (never too be beaten) version of Comfortably Numb too..
Peacock
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Peacock »

I like The Wall Live better, but not much. I enjoy the sounds in between the songs which are not as hearable in the live version. But the live version is also a great album, I would love to see the whole show on dvd.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Peacock wrote:I would love to see the whole show on dvd.
Absolutely !! :lol:
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Peacock wrote:I would love to see the whole show on dvd.
That would literally improve the quality of my life. :lol: :(
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

I like them both. I give each equal playing time.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I much prefer my various sources compilation which I call Uberwall.

However, given a choice of only these two...I prefer the studio version.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I know what Tommy's thinking. I don't remember putting a poll up.

Well i feel it's an efficient way of running it for the lazy user who doesn't want to go through the effort of justifying it.

I put in studio, the reason being because i feel the concert ruins the sound because a) Some songs go on far to long, ABITW2 comes to mind
b) It's so frustrating to not be able to see the spectacle
c) the intermission bits ruin the flow of the show
d) the trial should be so much more dramatic
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

I believe the studio album is the definitive musical statement, as far as The Wall is concerned. It's tight, crisp and concise. :)
davelucs
Embryo
Embryo

Post by davelucs »

.....i had no idea there was a live version of "th wall", can anyone help me get a copy...i simply have to have one, any help will be grately appreciated.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

davelucs wrote:.....i had no idea there was a live version of "th wall", can anyone help me get a copy...i simply have to have one, any help will be grately appreciated.
Yep, Is There Anybody Out There? The Wall Live - Pink Floyd - 1980-81 was released c. April 2000 on EMI. It's a two-disc compilation of live performances from the Wall shows in 1980 and 1981. It's still available! :)
davelucs
Embryo
Embryo

Post by davelucs »

....i do remember my dad having this album years ago, just ordered a copy. thanks for the help.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

The Wall live has some high points in my mind specifically RLH and YL. I do enjoy listening to it from time to time but IMO nothing beats the original :)
Spirit Catcher
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spirit Catcher »

davelucs wrote:.....i had no idea there was a live version of "th wall", .
Me either :shock: :shock: