whats you opinion of the new album so far?

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
MadJedi
Judge!
Judge!

whats you opinion of the new album so far?

Post by MadJedi »

from the clips i have heard i am rather pleased with it i was really sketchy when i first saw the lyrics but i must say i like it. the songs seem to flow very well
grelch
Knife
Knife

Post by grelch »

Loving it so far, although I'm ready to just sit down and listen to the damned thing once and for all, instead of being teased by snippets. I really love the last clip, Then I close my eyes. It has a very 'Pillow of Winds' quality to it, and I love that track.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

well i have it for three hours now... and after listening to it for three hours now i have to say it?s a very nice album. Very nice but completely meaningless. A very beautiful album to listen to in your hammock and fall asleep after 30 minutes (and this is not meant in a negative way). Just beautiful "songs", nothing to think about (opposed to Waters lyric albums). Makes you feel like you?re on an island (hehehe), very relaxing album... and then it suddenly is over. No finale furioso like Amused To Death or DSOTM, you can put it on repeat to listen to it over and over again....
ReGen
Embryo
Embryo

Post by ReGen »

I Love it. The music is beautifully constructed and very chilled. The lyrics match the music well. No point singing lyrics about the dark side of the human race with the music David has constructed for this album. Stick the headphones on, crack open a can, relax and enjoy. IMO this is Gilmour at his happiest best.
hummingman
Blade
Blade

Post by hummingman »

The music sounds great, although the lyrics are essentially detailing Gilmour's holidays =|
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

I was pretty hopeful when I played the first track "Castellorizon" but the rest of its far too bland for me, like his previous albums. It'd have been far better if he'd decided not to sing on it,... i'll give it a few more listens though.
deltaplano
Axe
Axe

Post by deltaplano »

sorry for my bad english... i'm an italian boy

i listen today the new album of David Gilmour and i think it is not a great album. It is too slow. for me.

I prefer the first solo album of David Gilmour. it's magic and very pink floyd sound.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

I now see exactly why Geldof told him to take some speed
very blissed out happily married old guy type music
not that theres anything wrong with that
Ive been trying to think how it compares to some of eno's stuff like Another Green World or Before And After Science, which also had a mellower than mellow sound but made such a sound witty and subversive...
I dont know, I think its just plain relaxed, nothing in anyway radical to it
he's earned his right to relax in his elder years and this is what it sounds like
oldhippy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by oldhippy »

I've had the complete cd for 2 - 3 days now. It's ok but there is nothing in it that sounds new its the same sound as A M L O R and T D B there is nothing to test you, Dave has stuck to a tried and tested sound which appeals to the masses. Which proves to me that the two mentioned cd?s weren?t P F but D G cd?s.

One other thing with all the well known musicians that have helped out they seam buried in the production. I know its D G baby but all you hear is D G.
MadJedi
Judge!
Judge!

Post by MadJedi »

oldhippy wrote:I've had the complete cd for 2 - 3 days now. It's ok but there is nothing in it that sounds new its the same sound as A M L O R and T D B there is nothing to test you, Dave has stuck to a tried and tested sound which appeals to the masses. Which proves to me that the two mentioned cd?s weren?t P F but D G cd?s.

One other thing with all the well known musicians that have helped out they seam buried in the production. I know its D G baby but all you hear is D G.
i hear a huge difference in this and the last 2 pf albums...
goldeneagle33
Blade
Blade

Post by goldeneagle33 »

I haven't heard it yet, however the comments I have read makes it sound like a pleasant, relaxing album that most people will forget about in 6 months. How about the guitar part of it-anything to get excited about there? I liked his first solo album, great guitar work but it lacked the addictive quality of the floyd sound, maybe he is trying to capture the floyd thing but getting stuck in it without breaking new ground.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

Damn seems like alot of you forgot that the title tells ya it's gonna be laidback.That's where Dave is at this time in his life and I can relate to that,hate to break it to ya.It's just Dave being Dave what did you expect. :roll:
Last edited by flashback on Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Narek
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Narek »

flashback wrote:Damn seems like alot of you forgot that the title tells ya it's gonna be laidback.That's where Dave is at this time in his life and I can relate to that,hate to break it to ya.It's just Dave being Dave what di you expect. :roll:
Totally with you on that Flashback...The song on an island owns and so is the album. :D
Mr-MOON

Post by Mr-MOON »

Although I was already given a torrented version (I think, it's a stream recording), I'm going to buy the cd...And the album..the album is, as it was promised, the most perfect work of all three works and it's so nice, soft, chillout, family-oriented album...I'm in a good mood after listening to it this morning.Just turn it on and prepare to fly far-far away...Respect, Mr.Gilmour...If I could, I would say thanks to him personally...I feel it's going to be my album of the year.
iwantmypinkfloydnow
Hammer
Hammer

Post by iwantmypinkfloydnow »

I'm intending to use this review, which I wrote, and I'm going to built on to it after I listen to the Album and post it on eopinions.

*Without the music, you can't hear the emotional tone the lyrics have, you can interpret them.

After reading the lyrics of DG's new album; I believe the album is supposed to give you an "isolation" feeling like "Close to the Edge" by YES. A feeling of being alone and stranded on an island.

When trapped on an island, you feel stranded from society, from your old life. All you can do is try to survive and think about life in society of which you miss so much. In Lord of the Flies, the main character remembers his childhood years, while in deep thought. Because he misses society, because he is trapped in nature. Remembering those times comforted him.

Same with what is going on with, what I theorize, a "character" in this album. The songs in this album talk about memories with the character and the character's wife and description of the island around him. This album can be interpreted as a story or an album with central themes.

Here are analysis of each song:

Castellorizon- Obviously an instrumental, so I've got nothing to analyze on. Mad

On an Island- The title song is a love song. The character and his wife talk about memories they shared ("Remember that night? White steps in the moonlight." "We lay side by side") and the memories relations to the world: "They walked here too, through empty playground..." The lyrics are very relaxing: "Let the night surround you. We're halfway to the stars." In reality, it is a love song written by Polly to David.

The Blue- A description of the ocean. "Shameless" and "Aimlessly...blue."

Take a Breath- Our "character" freaks out for being trapped on an Island. In this song, he is trying to calm down: "Take a breath. A deep breath now." "If you're lost you'll need to turn yourself. Then you'll find out there is no-one else."

The character's wife seems to be on the island with him on this song: "This kind of love is hard to find. I never got to you by being kind. If I'm the one to throw overboard. At least I showed you how to swim for shore."

Red Sky at Night- Instrumental

This Heaven- "All the pieces fall into place."

The character and possibly his wife are started to appreciate the Island they are trapped on. The Island is just as heavenly as the other places they have traveled before: "I've felt the power in a holy place. Wished for comfort when in need. Now I'm here in a state of grace. This earthly heaven is enough for me."

Then I Close My Eyes- Instrumental

Smile- "To find my way home to your smile." It seems more clear to me now that the presence of the characters wife is more spiritual then physical. Does this mean that they are connected spiritually from miles across an ocean? Are they almost talking to each other by thought even though an ocean splits them apart? Or is the character going crazy?

The character is trying to come back home to his wife, that's for sure: "Wasting days and days on this fight. Always down, and up half the night. Hopeless to reminisce through the dark hours. We'll only sacrifice what time will allow us. You're sighing... "

A Pocketful of Stones- Someone is talking to the wife about the character. The character is being referred in the third person. The person is comforting the wife, possibly about her accepting the fact that her husband is dead , or a comforting reassurance of his after life of a day when he might die: "One day he'll slip away....Until then he'll live in wonder."

Where We Start- This ending reminds me of the Taxi Driver ending: Is the ending really a happy ending or it is imagined by the character?

On an Island isn't just an album about being isolated on an island, but mostly about love and memories. A way for humans to comfort themselves in times of distress by remembering the good times or creating one during the calamity.