the god damn daily mirrors review

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
tea-set
Hammer
Hammer

the god damn daily mirrors review

Post by tea-set »

i think i am going to stop buying this tripe!

link

PINK FRAUD
DAVID GILMOUR

On An Island

Rating: 2/5

For every cultural landmark created by the Britrock gentry, there is a best-forgotten self-indulgent folly. When it comes to the great reckoning, who will remember Mick Jagger's Goddess In The Doorway over Gimme Shelter? McCartney's Standing Stone rather than Eleanor Rigby? Pete Townshend?s All The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes instead of Won?t Get Fooled Again, anyone? You've never even heard of it? Precisely my point.

No doubt Pink Floyd man Gilmour's second solo album was one he just had to make. It highlights the aching arcs of his guitar, the tender reserve of his vocals and, from his circle of pals, an all-star cast of the great, the good - and Jools Holland.

Pundits will be eagerly waiting to see if Roger Waters scoffs or, unlikely this, cheers from the sidelines. That'll be one way of gauging if the Floyd's Live8 reunion has a future. But the harsh words Waters directed at previous Gilmour outings still prove relevant.

Although undoubtedly pleasant and technically brilliant, On An Island is far too bland to bear comparison with any Floyd masterpiece. It is the work of a guy who seems like an all-round good egg, but is far too soft-boiled on this outing.

Without Roger The Demon breathing down his back, Dullmore can only create faux-Floyd settings. The songwriting partnership with his wife Polly Samson is Spinal Tap's David St Hubbins' relationship with Jeanine Pettibone taken to the next level. The lovebird lullaby Smile is the sort of toe-curling sentimentality even Sir Macca would think twice about.

The instrumental Close My Eyes, featuring great Brit jazz-rock stalwart Robert Wyatt on clarinet, is new age trance music that will have listeners nodding off before the close. Naturally, the combined effect is the sort of elegance and taste one expects from a millionaire rock star.

Crosby And Nash contribute their wondrous harmonies to Gilmour's gossamer tones on the title track, while Roxy Music axeman Phil Manzanera adds to the guitar playing class. But where is the grit, the glory, the determination to live up to the legend?

Perhaps it was left hanging in the air at Hyde Park last July.

Now might be a good time to reclaim it.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

i read that yesterday there talking bollocks they say its his 2nd album errrr wrong 3rd you twats shows how much they know besides they dont know there talking about (unts :lol:
thrill-seeker
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thrill-seeker »

:shock: :smt078

This is the type of shit that gives the Arctic Monkeys 5/5 :roll: :evil:
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

you know.... unfortunately some of that is true.
MadJedi
Judge!
Judge!

Post by MadJedi »

its a shame they seem so biased towards roger that they trash this brillant album. that is the press it will get though either really good or absolute shite. its really a shame but then you look at the comparisons to floyd and well...its not a floyd cd its a david gilmour cd he always has leaned away from "floyd sound" with his solos and what comes through as floyd is only a showing of his influence to them.
ps please would you mind removing the god from your title it hurts my eyes to read that :)
monkeyforce
Axe
Axe

Post by monkeyforce »

thrill-seeker wrote::shock: :smt078

This is the type of shit that gives the Arctic Monkeys 5/5 :roll: :evil:
Couldn't have put it better myself! I wouldn't wipe my arse with the Mirror anyway, Guardian all the way for me!
And don't even get me started on the fucking NME! :smt078
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

That Mirror writer has a fair point about the album being "bland". It is meant to be quiet and reflective. Thats what its all about and perhaps the writer missed the point of it. Looks like he threw that piece together in 5 minutes eating a bacon sandwich and drinking a starbucks coffee. Talentless fuckwit.
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

Oh come come.....These fuckwits have to earn a living somehow don't they !
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

I think that my breakfast is behind this review. :o :lol:

Guy is a tosser. Alltho, he is in the right with some of it, but he cant
give 2/5 to David Gilmour for Christs sake...aspecially in todays modern world of pop-rap-shite-fuck-piss music.
You cant allways reflect Davids work with the work of Pink Floyd.
Yes, there are elements of it, but this is something different.
Ahhh... :roll:
Slambient Expressway
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Slambient Expressway »

Damn!t wrote:Guy is a tosser. Alltho, he is in the right with some of it, but he cant give 2/5 to David Gilmour for Christs sake...aspecially in todays modern world of pop-rap-shite-fuck-piss
Oh come on, I've heard tons of crap from "credible" artists that is equally as bad. A lot of people need to forget that it is David Gilmour and just leave their little obsessions and bias towards him alone when listening. David Gilmour is just David Gilmour, get over it all of you.

From what I've heard, the album could be 2/5. Does that mean it's as bad as Madonna? No, but in context to earlier work, it could be 2/5.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

saucerfulofmeddle wrote:
Damn!t wrote:Guy is a tosser. Alltho, he is in the right with some of it, but he cant give 2/5 to David Gilmour for Christs sake...aspecially in todays modern world of pop-rap-shite-fuck-piss
Oh come on ...
Ok, lets leave all this hes DG! aside...

This album DOESENT deserve 2/5. On An Island (objectivly speaking) is a good listening with a brilliant performace from David and his guests.
Stop trying to compare it with the golden Floyd era.
It has very litlle to do with it. And why the hell not???
rot66
Axe
Axe

Post by rot66 »

Yucateco wrote:you know.... unfortunately some of that is true.
Quite a lot of it rings true IMHO. I think it works quite well the first 5 (maybe 6) tunes, then it totally collapses in boring dullness.

'Smile' should never have seen the light of day, its pure crap...

Oh yeah, and I DID really fall a sleep during 'Then I Close My Eyes' on the first listen through of the album :D Even Roger would struggle to write a melody as bad as this one...

Haveing said all that, I love the opening track and the title track. Really one of Gilmours best solos ever.

Tor
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Each to their own, the guy doesn't like it then fair enough. I just don't think we should all be complaining about his review when like 3 of us have actually heard the album
tea-set
Hammer
Hammer

Post by tea-set »

i havnt heard the album but if you saw the review they had, in big red letters above the review, the words "ouch" and "avoid it" thats just wrong, the point of music is that people like what they like. so to tell all the mirror readers to avoid it is a c*ntish thing to do.

plus it pisses me off that in EVERY review i've seen it has

David gilmour (pink floyd) - on an island

it might not bother anyone else but it does me
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

tea-set wrote:i havnt heard the album but if you saw the review they had, in big red letters above the review, the words "ouch" and "avoid it" thats just wrong, the point of music is that people like what they like. so to tell all the mirror readers to avoid it is a c*ntish thing to do.
I saw that, but writer's only bowing down to the house style, it was consistent with the review, and to be honest, i wouldn't think twice if it was a Nickelback review i was reading :?