Critic loses his hearing and marbles?

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
ReGen
Embryo
Embryo

Critic loses his hearing and marbles?

Post by ReGen »

This guy is totally hung up on the fact OAI doesn?t sound like classic Pink Floyd. What a plonker!

What I find quite amazing is that, for somebody who must be deaf and slightly lacking in the IQ department, how he actually managed to write a review at all? Maybe we should feel sorry for him?

To quote:
?Castellorizon finds the guitarist emptying his junk drawer of half-baked riffs?
http://www.suntimes.com/output/derogati ... ro051.html
thrill-seeker
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thrill-seeker »

Yeah, if he was expecting a Pink Floyd album then he must be right idiot. The artist is David Gilmour not Pink Floyd

David has said if it were a Pink Floyd album he would be doing things a lot differently. Yes the album has some Floyd feel to it but of course it does...it's coming from the PF guitarist.
Also I don't think that many of the people that have been reviewing tha album are knowledgable at all about PF.
MadJedi
Judge!
Judge!

Post by MadJedi »

thats the biggest thing i have seen, that really must upset gilmour is all the "floyd" expectations placed on this solo album. i love it for what it is, and it does remind me of "floyd sound" circa 1969-70 era very laid back bluesy feel. i think critics need to forget the floyd when reviewing this cd.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

And why do some keep on mentioning what Roger might think of it and they always go back to Live8 for some reason muppets its a solo album from a PF member i dont think some critics know the difference from a solo album and PF album muppets :roll:
Hitch Hiker
Blade
Blade

Post by Hitch Hiker »

jedi with crazy diamonds wrote:thats the biggest thing i have seen, that really must upset gilmour is all the "floyd" expectations placed on this solo album. i love it for what it is, and it does remind me of "floyd sound" circa 1969-70 era very laid back bluesy feel. i think critics need to forget the floyd when reviewing this cd.
I thought the same thing, its very reminiscent of More and Obscured by Clouds.
Demolition Man
Knife
Knife

Post by Demolition Man »

"The Blue" in particular reminds me a LOT of "A Pillow Of Winds." :D
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

If David Gilmour puts a big sticker on his album that says "The Voice and Guitar of Pink Floyd" he should not be surprised that people compare this album with Floyd records. :roll: :roll: If he wants to cash in by using the Floyd name, doh people will compare it to Floyd.
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

Demolition Man wrote:"The Blue" in particular reminds me a LOT of "A Pillow Of Winds." :D
Yeah... and "then I close my eyes" too... I hear the melody from the phrase "sleepy time when I lie, with my love by my side" crop up quite often

The whole album sounds quite like his input to PF to me, but definitely the pre-DSOTM floyd... it reminds me of stuff like Fat Old Sun, the More album, some of the material on Meddle and OBC...

In that sense the album's not really new, but I don't mind. I didn't exactly expect Gilmour to start meddling around with the latest dance and hip-hop developments :lol:
Jascierto
Blade
Blade

Post by Jascierto »

Here's what Rolling Stone thinks (scroll down):
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/ ... er=unknown

David Gilmour On an Island (Columbia)

When Pink Floyd played Live 8 last summer, it was the band's first appearance in more than two decades with Roger Waters, who masterminded Floyd classics like Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall. That show briefly rekindled hopes for a new album from the reunited lineup, but fans will have to settle instead for On an Island, the third solo album -- and the first studio recordings in twelve years -- from Floyd singer-guitarist David Gilmour, who became the group's de facto leader when Waters split in 1985.

On an Island suffers from the tendencies that plague all of Floyd's post-Waters works: It's a crawling headphones record that puts germs of ideas -- leaden riffs, astral soundscapes, hazy psychedelia -- where fully realized songs ought to go. To its credit, it's more inviting than the band's last two studio albums, 1987's A Momentary Lapse of Reason and 1994's song-doctored The Division Bell. Where those records mixed slick adult rock, heavy atmospherics and stodgy ruminations on interpersonal miscommunication and the fall of communism, Island merely feels like the night thoughts of a studio pro. Also, it's warmer: Slow-burners like "The Blue" are bong-ready reveries full of art-house orchestrations and impressionistic patter about moonlight and rippling water. Two sturdy rockers -- "Take a Breath" and the slyly catchy "This Heaven" -- show off Gilmour's still-vital, melodically fluid guitar work, but it's telling that one of On an Island's most arresting moments is also its simplest: the acoustic charmer "Smile," one of the rare songs free of interstellar murk and the omnipresent vocal reverb. The same isn't true of the title track, on which David Crosby and Graham Nash's supporting harmonies are processed into oblivion. Gilmour sounds like his own man here, but you wish he had someone -- anyone -- to push him beyond these new adventures in tedium. (CHRISTIAN HOARD)

I think we'll have to face the fact that OAI isn't a critic's pick.
ReGen
Embryo
Embryo

Post by ReGen »

For every crap one, you can find one that?s good. I guess it?s all down to personal taste and what they?re expecting from David and OAI.

http://www.newswire.co.nz/main/viewstor ... catid=3011

After being exposed to David Gilmour's 'On an Island' in its entirety, we can now confirm that it is the work of art we had hoped it would be.
It consists of a series of 10 beautifully understated songs that flow into each other exquisitely, providing the perfect foil for the return of this pioneering "rock" musician. Dave's guitar work is incomparably crystalline throughout the length of 'On an Island' and the actual solos that flow forth from his fingers are easily some of the best of his career. The production elements of this multi-layered recording are equally lush and you can be assured that the CD sounds outstanding on an appropriate hi-fi setup. Being totally worth the wait, 'On an Island' is a stunningly rousing album that "progressive" music enthusiasts will lap up with deep glee. Think Peter Gabriel, the Alan Parsons Project, some of Phil Manzanera's post Roxy Music stuff, Pink Floyd (of course) + Dave's other "solo" albums and you'll get the idea
-- it's an utterly essential release that we wholeheartedly recommend.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/reviews/ ... 1002115331

Even without having released any new music in more than a decade, David Gilmour remains a towering figure in rock: a guitar hero and master song craftsman whose influence has never waned. Close your eyes, and a host of songs on this solo effort will transport you right back to Pink Floyd's 1970s salad days, from the "Meddle"-ish title cut (with vocals by David Crosby and Graham Nash) to the languid stoner's delight "The Blue" and the elegant "A Pocketful of Stones." Gilmour's guitar work is as memorable as ever, even when he unexpectedly veers off into the straight-up blues of "This Heaven." To be sure, the majority of "Island" could be Pink Floyd in all but name only. Still, the project is a success on its own merits, thanks to its substantial songs rooted in a still-classic sound. ?Jonathan Cohen
danpunch
Axe
Axe

Post by danpunch »

I dig the album. I even enjoyed Smile. Polly sang with him on that track.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »