is david upset? and does he really have a right to be?

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
MadJedi
Judge!
Judge!

is david upset? and does he really have a right to be?

Post by MadJedi »

not tring to spam but i think this deserves its own thread :)

i read this from features editor on david gilmours music blog:

"You only have to look at how many fansites have helped themselves to our exclusive content to see that people simply don't appreciate that they can't just take whatever they want when they want it. The artwork was leaked. The single was leaked. Now you can download the album before it?s even in the shops. Yet the people responsible for all this throw their toys out of the pram because they don?t feel that David is doing enough for them!"

do you think he is really upset? do you think he has the right to be?

i think he may be upset but suprised no...he had to expect it he is not dumb.
i also really dont think he has the right to be, becouse again he isnt dumb he knows the fanbase he and his supergroup have. by posting any clips he had to know people would capture them to keep for themselves and to share with others. it just goes to show that we as fans want more since it is rare for anything to come from him and his group name, we want all we can get when anything does come out. it is nature. i know alot feel gilmour and floyd dont owe the fans anything but then again alot do, and i think its important for gilmour or any rare performing artist needs to be aware of is that when they have such a large fanbase they should try to please them within REASON, by releasing as much as possible when these rare times do happen. i know for some it still wont be enough but the secretism that they seem to practice from gilmour/floyd doent help any.
back to point though what do you think and please be considerate of others opinions on this as it could be a bitter subject.
Slambient Expressway
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Slambient Expressway »

Albums get leaked all the time.
tea-set
Hammer
Hammer

Post by tea-set »

i myself don't believe in downloading songs and things like that. i have done it in the past to get rare songs. but as someone who would LOVE to be a recording artist/in a band in the near future i like to support the industry by buying albums rather than downloading them.

i have tried my hardest and succeeded in not listening to any songs from on an island from any souce as i want to listen to the album the day it arrives in the post and it all be new and fresh.

just me though ennit... :D
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Good on you. I wanted to avid hearing any of it but temptation got in the way and i've heard near enough every song. Sure you're going to love it though :)
zombywoof
Axe
Axe

Post by zombywoof »

Its cool that with the internet theres a way to get the songs and albums before the release date.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: is david upset? and does he really have a right to be?

Post by Keith Jordan »

Features Editor - davidgilmour.com wrote:"1 - You only have to look at how many fansites have helped themselves to our exclusive content to see that people simply don't appreciate that they can't just take whatever they want when they want it.

2 - The artwork was leaked.

3 - The single was leaked.

4 - Now you can download the album before it?s even in the shops.

5 - Yet the people responsible for all this throw their toys out of the pram because they don?t feel that David is doing enough for them!"
1 - Welcome to the internet. By putting up those freely available videos, it must only be assumed that they are for the fans, that the fans will share them amongst themselves and that some people might think that the server the files are coming from is irrelevant.

2 - Electric Artists (who are officially promoting David's album online made it avilable on their website. I, myself, was contacted by them.

3 - I know sites like PFCO are sharing the single but I am not aware of this being a mass issue. Perhaps they shouldnt sent advance copies of the album to thousands of radio stations all around the world if they do not want it leaking so bad.

4 - Semi moot point as they made it available on iTunes I think so you dont have to go to the shops to buy it! :o :lol:

5 - A wild assertion.

If people like the album, they will buy it and if they send out advance copies of the CD all around the world, expect it to make an appearance on the internet. Additionally, dont send Electric Artists the artwork and have them share it with anyone they like!!!

:roll:
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Well done, Keith.

These days, anyone who puts anything on the internet is practically BEGGING for people to find ways to obtain it and send to as many people as possible.

For Gilmour to think that those video clips and songs would remain exclusively on his site and his site alone supports Polly's notion that he may be slightly autistic.

Or tremendously naive for a guys who's been in the business for forty years.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

mosespa wrote:Well done, Keith.

These days, anyone who puts anything on the internet is practically BEGGING for people to find ways to obtain it and send to as many people as possible.

For Gilmour to think that those video clips and songs would remain exclusively on his site and his site alone supports Polly's notion that he may be slightly autistic.

Or tremendously naive for a guys who's been in the business for forty years.
Or you could look on the bright side and hope he gets mad as hell and says"fuck the buggers if they want to rip me off after my tour I'll go and get Rick and Nick and we'll tour under Pink Floyd to makeup all the money the bastards stole off me".One can only hope he thinks this way. :lol:
Meneer Jansen
Knife
Knife

Post by Meneer Jansen »

Let's all pull the plug out of the Internet and share cassette tapes again! Maybe the music biz forgot that in the eighties the EXACT same discussion was held. The only thing that helped them out was the CD (see the connection with the DVD?). I'm not saying that they do not have an argument, I'm just a bit tired of hearing the same complaint over and over again, as if copiing is someting that the internet generation invented. It's not.

I used to buy the complete Top 40 (cassette tape) on the school yard from the local Drive In Disco DJ.
nova74
Axe
Axe

Post by nova74 »

The album has been up in streaming format on ClearChannel's site now for a week.
I'm sure that was a legal stream.
Did I listen to it? Hell Yeah.
Am I going to buy the album? Hell Yeah!
Make the video clips available on DVD and I'll buy that too.
Ryan
hummingman
Blade
Blade

Post by hummingman »

Where we not supposed to save the videos and audo clips off his site if we wanted to? I we were not, then why were they there? They shouldn't expect to host audio clips or full songs without people wanting to listen to them more then once or away from their computer. And why release the artwork if they didn't want anyone to keep it? What are we supposed to do, look at it and expect not to see it again until the cd is released?

Although having already listened to samples of all the songs online, I'll be buying the CD (and I very rarely buy CD's), and this is regardless of whether I've heard clips online - I'm buying it because it's a David Gilmour album, and his first in 22 years.
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

Meneer Jansen wrote:Let's all pull the plug out of the Internet and share cassette tapes again! Maybe the music biz forgot that in the eighties the EXACT same discussion was held. The only thing that helped them out was the CD (see the connection with the DVD?). I'm not saying that they do not have an argument, I'm just a bit tired of hearing the same complaint over and over again, as if copiing is someting that the internet generation invented. It's not.

I used to buy the complete Top 40 (cassette tape) on the school yard from the local Drive In Disco DJ.
ah ... the memories :lol:

mosespa

Post by mosespa »

The music industry likes to pretend that "piracy" is going to make them fall.

As has been mentioned, cassette taping was once considered the evil scourge that was going to render all the artists destitute.

It didn't.

Neither will CD copies.

You see...our favorite artists only get something like seven cents from every CD sold. They don't make their money off of the albums, they make them from the live performances.

I say PIRATE EVERY ALBUM...just go see all the bands live:)
Norbert Wilkins
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Norbert Wilkins »

Those "home taping is killing music" logos always made me laugh. If anything home taping kept it alive. What they really meant was "home taping is killing record industry profits, and we can't have that kids, so hand over your pocket money right now."

Nothing's changed, just the delivery format, means of distribution and sound quality (marginally.)
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Indeed, if an album is good enough to buy, people will else they will either do without or download it. In the case of the album not being good enough to buy, the people downloading it are not affecting the future of recorded music in any way as they wouldnt have bought the pile of crap to begin with!!!

Downloading music helps people discover new bands in my opinion.

The slight drop in music sales is attributed to the large amount of DVDs being sold and not people downloading! :)