The Syd effect

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
PFralst
Knife
Knife

The Syd effect

Post by PFralst »

Pink Floyd has been around for about 40 years and Syd Barrett?s membership in the band lasted only 3-4 years.
In spite of his rather short period he really did have a great influence on their furure. Can we call that 'The Syd effect'?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

If you like...
PFralst
Knife
Knife

Post by PFralst »

.?
Maisie
Axe
Axe

Post by Maisie »

The Syd Effect ...indeed! amazing isn't it- how short a perisod of time he was around and playing- and how much influence he had?...
and there are new "converts" every day.
PFralst
Knife
Knife

Post by PFralst »

!
As far as I know only Peter Gabriel had such a comparable effect on a bands future.
Maybe Brian Winson in The Beach Boys?
Lurking Fear
Axe
Axe

Post by Lurking Fear »

the biggest effect Syd had after leaving was guilt- both Roger and David lament his state to this very day, and Rog wrote whole albums about their experiences (WYWH, The Wall both were heavily influenced by Syd's experiences).
Mustainez
Embryo
Embryo

Re: The Syd effect

Post by Mustainez »

Sure. In a way, it was good for Pink Floyd after Syd left. It gave them a lot of great songs about him, sort of a focus point for the band.
stonehead404
Embryo
Embryo

Re:

Post by stonehead404 »

Lurking Fear wrote:the biggest effect Syd had after leaving was guilt- both Roger and David lament his state to this very day, and Rog wrote whole albums about their experiences (WYWH, The Wall both were heavily influenced by Syd's experiences).
Thats right! I agree, they left him behind! They should feel guilty. The guy starts them off on a successful path then when he runs into trouble no one is able to deal with it so they cut him loose.. bastards. ah well they're all rich now!
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Re:

Post by Duckboy »

stonehead404 wrote:
Lurking Fear wrote:the biggest effect Syd had after leaving was guilt- both Roger and David lament his state to this very day, and Rog wrote whole albums about their experiences (WYWH, The Wall both were heavily influenced by Syd's experiences).
Thats right! I agree, they left him behind! They should feel guilty. The guy starts them off on a successful path then when he runs into trouble no one is able to deal with it so they cut him loose.. bastards. ah well they're all rich now!
aah buuut wouldnt you cut someone loose from your band if they were no longer well enough to play or if they didnt want to, for those who dont believe there was anything wrong with him
The Crow Scare
Axe
Axe

Re: Re:

Post by The Crow Scare »

Duckboy wrote:
stonehead404 wrote: Thats right! I agree, they left him behind! They should feel guilty. The guy starts them off on a successful path then when he runs into trouble no one is able to deal with it so they cut him loose.. bastards. ah well they're all rich now!
aah buuut wouldnt you cut someone loose from your band if they were no longer well enough to play or if they didnt want to, for those who dont believe there was anything wrong with him
But he wasn't just someone was he? He was Syd Barrett!!! and supposed friend of theirs. And they just left him behind. Sad
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

One thought comes to mind right now:

If they valued him and his contributions enough, they would have done the best they could to work with him through his problems and disillusions. There are no two ways about it. True friends are patient and long-suffering.
The Crow Scare
Axe
Axe

Post by The Crow Scare »

Well said!!
[-D-] :D
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

bpmolder wrote:One thought comes to mind right now:

If they valued him and his contributions enough, they would have done the best they could to work with him through his problems and disillusions. There are no two ways about it. True friends are patient and long-suffering.
but they did try to get him help and he just refused it and they didnt kick him outstraight away they were having problems with him for a while building up to something that couldnt be avoided, either syd left or the band stopped playing altogether
Creek
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Creek »

bpmolder wrote: There are no two ways about it. True friends are patient and long-suffering.
I agree with your statement, I feel the same way about my friends. But I would like add this...
David Gilmour looked in on and out for Syd the rest of his life. When Syd was recording his solo albums David was quick to come to his aid, and If I'm not mistaken Roger helped too. It's not fair to say that they completely turned their backs on Syd..
lostplay
Judge!
Judge!

Post by lostplay »

bpmolder wrote:One thought comes to mind right now:

they were young
very young
and syd blew the usa tour
syd would de string his guitar

while on stage .in the middle of a show

while on tour w/ hendrix syd's arm would dangle lifeless
other guitar men from other groups would fill in

please try to see that if all your hopes and dreams were being dashed

would you all be so above it all ??

roger david and nick did a fucked up thing to syd
i would have done the same

life happens