The Voice of Pink Floyd?

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
Narek
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Narek »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:
Narek wrote:Well actually there is nothing wrong because Pink Floyd is Rick, David and Nick and David is the voice. So nothing wrong there.
Yes, because everybody first thinks of The Division Bell and A Momentary Lapse of Reason, NOT Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall, when people think of "Pink Floyd" and talk about them :roll:

Even if we're just talking about David, Rick and Nick, let's not overlook Rick's vocal contributions to TDB...nor should we forget about Polly's worldclass lyrics :lol:
Yeah depends if you're a true fan who knows more than DSOTM and The Wall or not.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I'm ashamed to admit that it never crossed my mind that the "Voice Of Pink Floyd" thing would rouse R.PITI from his slumber. :lol:

I agree with everyone who says that there is no one "voice" of Pink Floyd. To me, Rick Wright's vocals are just as much a part of the Pink Floyd Sound as David and Roger's.

"Stay" may not be THE quintessential Pink Floyd song, but (IMO) it is A quintessential Pink Floyd song.
dancure
Axe
Axe

Post by dancure »

Well, nobody discusses David being the guitar of Pink Floyd.
What some people are angry about is himself claiming to be "the voice" of Pink Floyd.
If you think that David Gilmour was the one who sang in all of the songs in A Momentary Lapse of Reason and in The Division Bell, he do is the voice of Pink Floyd. At least, the post-Waters Pink Floyd period.
Anyway... I always liked David's voice more than Roger's one. But in the other hand The Wall would be a completely different album if it wasn't Roger Waters who sang. The Wall is, so to say, THE album made and created for Roger's voice.

Well... so what?
When Roger came to chile he claimed to me "The genious creator of Pink Floyd"... he left the door open for anyone else (meaning the other three) to claim to me some other part of the Pink Floyd machine...

Saluts,
Daniel.
FloydCouncil
Hammer
Hammer

Post by FloydCouncil »

I don't think that David Gilmour is the voice of Pink Floyd. To me all three voices are equal, Rick, Dave and Roger. And I don't think The Final Cut would be this enjoyable if it weren't for Roger's voice.

On another note, people who aren't really fans of Pink Floyd do see Dave as the voice, especially those who saw Live 8 without knowing much about them since David clearly seemed 'incharge' of the band there.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

FloydCouncil wrote: On another note, people who aren't really fans of Pink Floyd do see Dave as the voice, especially those who saw Live 8 without knowing much about them since David clearly seemed 'incharge' of the band there.
hmmm.... wasn?t Rog the only one talking to the crowd?
henno

Post by henno »

i agree, david did not come across as any 'leader', yes he may have sang the most but roger did all the interaction and was the mos lively...
Stefanie86
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Stefanie86 »

i agree, david did not come across as any 'leader', yes he may have sang the most but roger did all the interaction and was the mos lively...
I agree, and that has always been the case, for most of Pink Floyd's shows, from 1968 up until the In The Flesh/Animals tour.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Revenge for Roger's sticker on Ca Ira?

Listen, these two are always at it...orchestras (even on Broken China) and stuff, fire crackers at the beginning of celerizon (do you have spell check), reminiscent of the Overature...

How many times do these guys have to use the Echoes ping?

An older friend of mine, who is a serious musician, cannot notice any voice for PF - he's very Pink Who? Are they gay? He doesn't hear anything memorable in PF songs vocally - you know Mick is singing, you know Daltrey is singing, you know Jim Morrison is singing, but unless you are a PF fan, there is no voice of PF...and posibbly no creative genius either...
Jascierto
Blade
Blade

Post by Jascierto »

"It's just marketing bullshit, I doubt David would be so obnoxious or egotistical as to decide that himself."

He has called himself the voice and sound of Pink Floyd in the past. Check out this interview: http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/news/0602061.html
Demolition Man
Knife
Knife

Post by Demolition Man »

nosaj wrote:Revenge for Roger's sticker on Ca Ira?
Didn't the sticker just say "from the writer of Dark Side Of The Moon and The Wall" or something to that effect?
Graham D
Embryo
Embryo

Re: The Voice of Pink Floyd?

Post by Graham D »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:What the hell is that supposed to mean? Roger wrote the vast majority of lyrics for Pink Floyd and actually sang more songs than Gilmour too
That's only true towards the end of that line up on Animals, The Wall and The Final Cut. Go back to the early seventies and to Meddle where Water's only sings one song. The same is true of Obscured by Clouds. Even on Dark Side he only sings two. And to be honest I think the Wall and Final Cut would have benefitted if he'd sang most of those as well.
pompeii purple
Hammer
Hammer

Post by pompeii purple »

nosaj wrote:
An older friend of mine, who is a serious musician, cannot notice any voice for PF - he's very Pink Who? Are they gay? He doesn't hear anything memorable in PF songs vocally
...but unless you are a PF fan, there is no voice of PF...and posibbly no creative genius either...
It's strange how people's perceptions differ - one of the very first things that I noticed about Pink Floyd was the sound of David's voice.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Demolition Man wrote:
nosaj wrote:Revenge for Roger's sticker on Ca Ira?
Didn't the sticker just say "from the writer of Dark Side Of The Moon and The Wall" or something to that effect?
I honestly don't remember the actual words...I thought it was "creative genius behind DSotM & the Wall", but I really don't remember - you could be right - but why would that be on a classical album (most serious classical fans would consider all PF music extremely basic - like my friend who really doesn't know who PF is, even though he is in their age bracket)
pompeii purple
Hammer
Hammer

Post by pompeii purple »

Poor Richard and Nick - what could they possibly slap on their product if they were to release something?

"Not as important as the Big Two in Pink Floyd"

Perhaps Nick's book could have had "I scored with the most chicks on account of being such a love machine" on the cover.

Sigh.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Nick - "The drumming genius behind The Wall & DSotM", "The Two Sticks of PF"

Rick - "Azimuth Coordinator Master for PF"