Radio 2 Concert last night - did anyone else here go?

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
gilesfordcrush
Axe
Axe

Radio 2 Concert last night - did anyone else here go?

Post by gilesfordcrush »

Hello all,

I was lucky enough to be at the BBC Radio 2 concert last night - the first time I've seen David. Simply fantastic. I'm going to the Albert Hall later in the year, but this was a really small venue so we were really close, and afterwards I met David and Polly, and got my album signed by both - I don't think it would be possible to have a better evening!

Was anyone else there?

Giles
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

You lucky devil! Did you get any photos or other material you could possibly share with us?
vickyc007
Axe
Axe

Post by vickyc007 »

I went too, it was amazing.

As for photos I saw one person taking some who posts to the PinkFloydz site so but they got stopped by security (who were watching out for it).

They sang

Castellorizon
On an island
The blue
Take a breath
Smile
Shine on you crazy diamond (pts 1-6)
Wearing the inside out

Then DG needed a quick Loo break

High hopes
Comfortably numb
On an island
The blue

He resang the last tow as he wasn't happy with the first attempts.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Take two!! Nothing like a bit of live TV!! :o :D
gilesfordcrush
Axe
Axe

Post by gilesfordcrush »

I loved the venue and the informality of the loo break and re-runs of the two tracks - it made it nice and real - and I loved the friendly banter between David and the audience.

Oh - and we all sang David "Happy Birthday" at the end - not everyone can say they have done that!

Giles
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

WOW what a night that was was a surreal experience seing David Rick Guy Jon in person it was an amazing concert good light show and the sound was top notch.

After the concert i met Polly Samson,David Gilmour,Guy Pratt,Dick Parry and Jon Carin i also shock Davids hand spoke to him for a few seconds i also shock Guy Pratts hand Dick Parrys.

I got my ticket signed by them all all above but i got my latest edition of Mojo magazine signed by the man himself David Gilmour that was a surreal unforgetable night which i wont forget ever. The songs played were amazing the sound of the guitar on certain notes touched your eardrum that powerful.
I heard i think the best Shine On You Crazy Diamond ever, Wearing The Inside Out was great to see and hear live for the first time amazing.
I also have a feeling that i might get on TV when they show it and you might hear my voice as i called out one or songs.

But i cant belive i have met David Gilmour and shock his hand im going to admit i nearly cried when i was there as i couldnt belive it me finally seeing my idol hero.

Thats one night i will never forget
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I am so jealous I might be sick!! :cry:
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Keith Jordan wrote:I am so jealous I might be sick!! :cry:
Tell me about it! :smt010
crofloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by crofloyd »

by the set list it seems that we won't hear hidden floyd gems (green is the colour, cymbaline, a pillow of winds, fearless...) on this tour. Or am I jumping to conclusions a bit too early?

Great to see Wearing the inside out...
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

i also saw what the future might hold in store for the future setlist on the tour ( a backstage guy gave it to me and thrill-seeker) a couple of gems in there one which did catch my eye was *E" but thats all i am saying on that matter sorry to leave you wanting more but i dont wanna spoil anyones hopes if they dont play it. :D
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

Great to hear you had such an amazing night azza... I wish I were you :)
azza200 wrote:a couple of gems in there one which did catch my eye was *E" but thats all i am saying on that matter
Was that cymbalinE ? [-o<

If he's gonna play cymbaline on this tour I will be crying like a baby during the concert...
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

ganaffe wrote:Great to hear you had such an amazing night azza... I wish I were you :)
azza200 wrote:a couple of gems in there one which did catch my eye was *E" but thats all i am saying on that matter

If he's gonna play cymbaline on this tour I will be crying like a baby during the concert...
Sorry to dissapoint you, but Thrillseeker already said it's Echoes :D
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

azza200 wrote: i also shock Davids hand spoke to him for a few seconds i also shock Guy Pratts hand Dick Parrys.
What did you use .... one of these ? ... I can't believe you got away with it ... :lol: :wink:

ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

David Smith wrote:
ganaffe wrote:Great to hear you had such an amazing night azza... I wish I were you :)

Sorry to dissapoint you, but Thrillseeker already said it's Echoes :D
oh well.... Echoes will do fine :D

pitty about cymbaline though, I really had my hopes up for a minute...
monkeyforce
Axe
Axe

Post by monkeyforce »

SWEET ZOMBIE JESUS! That was the best show I have ever seen/heard!!! Sorry I'm late - long journey back to Plymouth!

On an Island
The blue
Smile
Take a Breath
This Heaven
Shine on
High Hopes
Wearing The Inside out
Comfy Numb
Encore - On an Island
The Blue

So, then. I can confirm that all the OAI tracks played sounded absolutely fantastic and work really well live. At the end of the performance for an encore, David wanted to play two of these tracks again, as he wasn't happy with them for broadcast (a total perfectionist)!
David played a reinerpretation of Shine On, that if he plays the same way on the tour WILL BLOW YOU ALL AWAY!!! And watching him play Numb and Hopes at such close proximity was... I have no words for it!!!
There was quite an informal atmosphere in the Mermaid - at one point David ran away to visit the loo, leaving Guy to try and amuse us! I was sat fairly centrally, three rows behind Polly and David's family, and about four seats along from 'Whispering' Bob Harris!!! Which was nice!
And then it was all over, and after singing Happy Birthday to David we were all ushered into the wet London night, our jaws dragging on the floor!
Can't wait for the broadcast. Also, my guest knew the guys who were doing the sound recording (the Beeb farmed it out), so hopefully I can get my hands on an un-edited copy of the tracks with both versions of OAI and Blue! All of you who have tickets are not going to be dissapointed!!! Roll on RAH!!!