Number 1

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
Graham D
Embryo
Embryo

Number 1

Post by Graham D »

Just read on the official site that OAI is number one on the UK album charts. And quite rightly so.
MadJedi
Judge!
Judge!

Post by MadJedi »

[-D-] :D
rightfully so
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

...Wow.

I did NOT expect this at all. I mean, it's so... un-poppy. I'm a bit shocked. It's a great album, but it's not the kind of thing that tops the charts. Wow.

This is the first time a band/musician I like has had a #1 album since... well, since They Might Be Giants dislodged The Joshua Tree in 1989.
Slambient Expressway
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Slambient Expressway »

Wow! I just read this on nme.com. Amazing since that may say Pink Floyd are more relevant today than when he released About Face. People may be appreciating Gilmour and the rest's legacy more now. Or maybe everyone realized somehow that the album is very good.
PFralst
Knife
Knife

Post by PFralst »

Number 1 [-D-]
I?v been waiting many years for that appointment. And for the rest of the non-floyd world to discover what?s been clear to us in many years.

Dave Mustaine in Megadeth said; '"David Gilmour can do more with one note than most guitarists can do with the entire fretboard."
Rambutan
Axe
Axe

Post by Rambutan »

Hooray!

May it last forever!

:D
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

Well done David, you deserve it, it's good that some real artists making real music can still get to number 1.
vickyc007
Axe
Axe

Post by vickyc007 »

Although it is great news, to be fair you don't need that many album sales to get to number one nowadays and given the average DG/Floyd fan will have pre-ordered it in advance, it was always going to be very high in the charts.

If we really want to see how popular he is in a modern musical environment, it will be to see whether the album is still no 1 next week and the week after, as that will show whether the average punter has decided to buy it. Most albums seem to go straight in at number one as the fans buy it from amazon and then drop down the charts the next week as the sales drop off (e.g Corinne Bailey Rae was no 1 and now DG has knocked her off).

Prince's new album comes out next week whilst there are a few big people with albums this week so we will need to see if its just the loyal Floyd fans or the average punter buying it and pushing it up the charts.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I ordered two! lol.
Neil1567/2
Blade
Blade

Post by Neil1567/2 »

Kate Bush's Aerial didn't make it to No 1, so even in today's sales climate I would say that OAI's early success is pretty significant.Number 1 download,too,which suggests even the kids are getting it! As Dave said in the Times last week,he's happy for the record to sell bucketloads-as long as it wasn't viewed as being as "important" as Floyd.Looks like he's got his wish with regard to the first part-we'll see about the second when he starts touring in the States!
radiowaves

Post by radiowaves »

ive just visited the bbc radio 1 chart site, and the page opened with OAI at number one and it brought a tear to my eye. the musical expertise across decades has at last been noticed by the music buying public. it's a feather in the cap of every single pink floyd fan across the globe. well done david...shine on.
ReGen
Embryo
Embryo

Post by ReGen »

This was just posted at davidgilmour.com:

On An Island continues to make waves around the world, adding to its UK Number One position, which it is expected to retain this week.

Here are the latest Charts:

ITALY ? No. 1
NORWAY ? No. 1
GERMANY ? No. 3
AUSTRIA ? No. 2
ICELAND ? No. 2
NETHERLANDS ? No. 3
DENMARK ? No. 4
SWITZERLAND ? No. 4
PORTUGAL ? No. 4
IRELAND ? No. 16 (must try harder!)
FRANCE ? No. 19 (this must be a typo!)

We expect the album to be No. 1 in Sweden, and we should have the US Chart tomorrow. We should also have the chart for Canada, where it is expected to debut at No. 2
P.S. On An Island is still the top-selling music album on iTunes in the UK, and via Amazon mail order in both US & UK.

:D
flouncey
Embryo
Embryo

Post by flouncey »

It's great to see the album at number one not just here but in all those other countries too.
It's nice to know that so many people still enjoy listening to 'proper' music.
AtomHeartMomma
Knife
Knife

Number 1

Post by AtomHeartMomma »

PFralst wrote:Number 1 [-D-]
I?v been waiting many years for that appointment. And for the rest of the non-floyd world to discover what?s been clear to us in many years.

Dave Mustaine in Megadeth said; '"David Gilmour can do more with one note than most guitarists can do with the entire fretboard."
Don't know what the U.S. posting is, but regardless of what it is, David will always be Number 1. :smt039

One has to consider what type of music (?) he is up against, and the mentality of who is buying today's popular music.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Well I'm not supprised as its being plugged constantly on Radio 2 - the nations favourite radio station. Evan the current Mrs Drafsack went and bought a copy - its been plugged that much :D