Isn't this Floyd without Mason?

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
Peter Beasley
Blade
Blade

Isn't this Floyd without Mason?

Post by Peter Beasley »

Whilst I enjoyed listening and watching the BBC Radio 2 performance, I couldn't help thinking that what I was seeing was Pink Floyd without Nick Mason (on a smaller scale of course). If I wanted to be harsh, I could suggest that this is Dave's way of getting rid of Nick, therefore no wonder he doesn't need or desire to relaunch Floyd.

From what I've heard of 'On an Island', it could easily pass as the Floyd follow up to 'The Division Bell'. Dave's first two albums sounded different to the then Floyd because they were written at a time of Roger's dominance.

To distinguish himself from Floyd, I do think Dave should be playing at least a couple of songs from 'D.G.' or 'About Face' if he still values them, even though I'd prefer to hear lesser played Floyd stuff.

The full 'Echoes' though. That alone is worth going.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

I think with the smaller band and the heftier Rick presence
that this new tour is more authentically Floydian than the 87 tour

the lack of Nick means the brandname cannot be used, as he did not even pose for a photo in this album
so far as I know Nick has a 50% share in the brand (since we can never decide if ricks now a member or not)
therefor his Grand Prix gig with Roger could just as legitimately be sold as Pink Floyd, with special guest Roger Waters

troublemaking J Ed
goldeneagle33
Blade
Blade

Post by goldeneagle33 »

It does get confusing, doesn't it? I couldn't be more pleased, since i am a ticketholder for a show, it's like getting floyd at a smalller theater! I guess for the musicians it's an easier tour since there is a lot less baggage to carry around. I would have to say I miss nick's style of drumming though.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

good question but Davids shows do have a floyd vibe about them lightshow etc
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

goldeneagle33 wrote:... it's like getting floyd at a smalller theater!
thats the thang!
seeing Dave and Rick and special guest Phil Manzanera in Massey Hall
is going to be a way more satisfying Floyd experience
than seeing 20 tiny little humanoid blobs that may or may not be Pink Floyd hiding behind technicolour explosions at the far end of Exhibition Place Stadium

EDIT: Dave and Rick AND DICK PARRY
very good Floydvalue this time round
Last edited by J Ed on Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

This is difficult to say. I don't think there IS a Floyd without Mason. He stayed with the band since the original Rog/Rick/Nick lineup, stayed through with Bob Close, Syd, Roger, and Dave. A "Dry Floyd" without Nick leaves just one member from the original lineup who wasn't even there for two albums; Rick. I would not call that Floyd.

I think of this group as David Gilmour and Rick Wright (plus Pratt and everyone else.) Not the Floyd.
And not that it's a bad thing.
monkeyforce
Axe
Axe

Post by monkeyforce »

The Mermaid show felt like being at a DG show, rather than a Floyd show. I was wondering the same things on the way to London - that with David and Rick there, along with Guy Pratt and Jon Carin, that it was almost a fully fledged Floyd show - but it realy didn't feel like one once it got started!
Not that that's a bad thing - it was wonderfull!
goldeneagle33
Blade
Blade

Post by goldeneagle33 »

azza200 wrote:good question but Davids shows do have a floyd vibe about them lightshow etc
What kind of lightshow are they using? Any kind of projector/video? With all the talk about setlist, band members I have read nothing about special effects.
radiowaves

Post by radiowaves »

I think rick is just appearing as a guest artist in this folks. Okay, he is another member of pink floyd, but id dave had have got Brian Ferry as guest backing vocalist, would this be Roxy Music Without Brian Eno, Andy Mackay and Eddie Jobson??????
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

The lightshow is just lights no back film projector or anything just some powerfull lights which make it good
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by J Ed »

goldeneagle33 wrote:
azza200 wrote:good question but Davids shows do have a floyd vibe about them lightshow etc
What kind of lightshow are they using? Any kind of projector/video? With all the talk about setlist, band members I have read nothing about special effects.
the video stream is still available on the BBC2 site
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/events/davidgilmour/
some very pretty lights used during Shine On for example
PFralst
Knife
Knife

Post by PFralst »

David getting rid of Nick? [-X
No, since Rick join David on the OAI tour he knows that it?s impossible for Nick to come along.
Because Gilmour, Wright and Mason together that would be Pink Floyd :P