Dub Side of the Moon

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Comfortably_Floyd
Blade
Blade

Dub Side of the Moon

Post by Comfortably_Floyd »

I bought the Reggae version of Dark side of the moon yesterday for a laugh....but i was disappointed to find that it wasn't funny....it was actually seriously quite well done,
has any other reggae/floyd fans else heard it?
Spirit Catcher
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spirit Catcher »

Garbage
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

trash and ought to be illegal from the sonfgs I have heard from it!
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

There are some things that just shouldn't be done IMO and this is one of them. I imagine that some kind of permission from the band or record Co. was needed to do this, anyone know?
W1P
Blade
Blade

Post by W1P »

quicksilver wrote:There are some things that just shouldn't be done IMO and this is one of them. I imagine that some kind of permission from the band or record Co. was needed to do this, anyone know?
Anyone can record a cover of anyone else's published song by paying a "mechanical royalty" fee (currently .08 cents per copy). The "permission" is automatic. I think Dub Side is very good in spots and disappointing in others. My main complaint is that the leads are way too far down in the mix -- listen to Marley or Steel Pulse, they don't have any problem making the leads very prominent. However, I think Dub Side is very entertaining and a worthwhile purchase.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Sounds interesting, although why anyone would bother making it i really don't know.
Big Kelv
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Big Kelv »

Not heard it but if the Trance Mix of WYWH is anything to go by, rubbish!
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

quicksilver wrote:There are some things that just shouldn't be done IMO and this is one of them. I imagine that some kind of permission from the band or record Co. was needed to do this, anyone know?
From RollingStone.com:

The All-Stars then approached the members of Pink Floyd and eventually received their blessing, though they haven't spoken personally to the band. "Roger Waters sent us a fax," Goldwasser says, "and he said 'I received the CD, I read the liner notes, but it's my policy not to endorse any covers of my material.' He didn't say if he liked it or not, which was kind of weird."

Source: http://www.rollingstone.com/news/newsar ... ?nid=17955
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

I like a couple of the songs off of Dub. But didn't like the water pipe and coughing sounds in Money. Its funny and all, but it hurts me. It hurts me! :x