My History with the Floyd:Supplemental to the Age Poll

Post by bmet »

Current Age:43

1972 - Discovered Record Players,45's and Top 40 Radio
Notable Discovers - Yes,Grand Funk & Led Zeppelin
1973 - Move Up to Albums,Become a follower of Bands
like Deep Purple & Yes.They will help pave the way
for hard Rock Groups like Zeppelin & Sabbath /
and Prog Rockers Genesis,King Crimson, and ELP.
1974 -Friend brings over an Album with simple Prism on
Cover.(No Band Name).He says it's the Number 1
LP on the charts.Too polished for my heavier tastes
at the time.Like the synthesizer on Track 2.
1975 -The Band is coming to Hamilton in June.Not excited
Alot of Hype (Why Hamilton and not Toronto?! etc.etc)
I Don't go.Not a Fan.......yet
September-WYWH released....I'm now a fan......Why
didn't they put this out 8 Months ago!!!!!?????
1977 -Animals comes out on my Birthday.
They don't come to Hamilton or Toronto.My friends
take a bus to Cleveland to see them.I'm out of luck
No one wants to go to Montreal...Would my Parents
had let me go....too late now!
1980 - Wall Tour only in NY & LA -Tickets go fast..Out of
Luck again!!!!
1994-After holding out in '87,go see 3/4 of Floyd.
1999-See the other 1/4

So What's your story in the Life of You & The Floyd?
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Unfortunately I have no memory, but I'll try to piece together some sort of timeline...

Birth to teens: I listen to The Dark Side Of The Moon on a badly eroded cassette tape. On the other side is the Easy Rider soundtrack. Nice!

16 April 1994: my brother buys The Division Bell for my Mother's 42nd birthday. I like What Do You Want From Me and Poles Apart, but think the rest is boring. Hmm!

Sixteenth birthday: I get the '94 CD reissue of The Dark Side Of The Moon. Yes!

Sixteen and a half to twenty and a half: I get every single Pink Floyd album and blow my mind until I die every time. Hooray!

:)
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

OK, here goes. This is a quickie synopsis. Longer-winded version is here at my personal site:
http://www.ornamentalillness.com/pinkfloyd.shtml

1976-1979 Introduction to Meddle-WYWH-era Floyd on FM radio while in high school (Animals escaped even the AOR-oriented format of the day). I really liked Floyd, but never actually got their albums until

1979 Freshman in college. ABITWpII heavy FM radio play. I buy The Wall either that fall or the following winter 1980.

1980-81 Sophomore in college. Have a friend (a sow, i.e., female Pig) heavily into punk who proclaims DSOTM "The most over-produced record in the history of rock." She shuns The Wall, but claims "Syd Barrett era was good, though." I listen to her. :( I trade in The Wall :oops: to buy The Clash or Joy Division or something "newish". Please don't hate me. :(

1981 I buy Bowie's Pin-Ups and hear "See Emily Play" and wonder heavily about this mysterious "Syd Barrett"-era Floyd.

1982 Sow-friend gone. Start going out with Stan (future husband) who owns everything pre-Wall except the movie albums. We listen to some Floyd one night at his place. Hear "CWTAE" for the first time and the scream freaks me out initially. I enjoy them, but we're going somewhere else at the time.

1983 Stan trades in his Floyd to buy some Siouxsie & The Banshees or The Cure or something gothish. Please don't hate him. :(

1989 We sell back all our vinyl to move x-country. I do not listen to music again for a long tme. :oops: Long story.

1993-1996? At some point Stan buys PATGOD in a used CD store.

1999 I start getting back into 70s music again, but not Floyd yet.

2002 September 15 (How sick am I that I remember the date?) We watch the VH1 Legends on PF. I realize, "hey, I really miss this stuff!" I start to acquire Floyd. Shortly thereafter, like late September, I have a very strange dream involving finding some very old Floyd (like '65-66) in the company of a friend. Later in October, and this is real, we visit that friend and he gives me "Madcap" even though he didn't know I was starting to get into Floyd. Weird.

2002 Late Fall/Winter I realize this is becoming more than just getting some old music I used to like...it's become an obsession!
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Pugs on the Wing wrote:2002 September 15 (How sick am I that I remember the date?)
Well, it is the, er, 27th anniversary of Wish You Were Here! :-s :-k \:D/ :lol:
Pugs on the Wing wrote:2002 Late Fall/Winter I realize this is becoming more than just getting some old music I used to like...it's become an obsession!
:D 8)
bmet
Knife
Knife

So How About You Keith?

Post by bmet »

So How About You Keith!?

:roll:
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

1973 - start secondary school into glam- Gary Glitter, slade, Trex and mott the hoople.
Best mates dad into pink floyd and playing dark side all the time.
Nag my parents and get dark side for Christmas, by new year every body sick of dark side (except me) because of continued playing. Spend 74 saving up and buying PF records - next was Atom then Meddle then saucerful. Nag parents for ticket to see them in December. Get ticket as early Christmas present and get obscured for crimbo. Spend 75 collecting the rest of the back catalogue and go to knebworth with best mate and his dad. Its my first outdoor concert - not a very good view of stage but still mega. Buy WYWH and play it to death. 76 Play Dark side and wish to death and bore everybody to death about how good PF are. 77 My whole life changed - Animals is released it is so good I don’t play anything else for months. See them at bingley hall - it was brill. buy the body by rog and ron - in shock for the rest of the year. 78 leave school and start working for a living. 79 still working hard and smug as f**k when Another brick gets to #1. 6th aug 1980 its my little brothers birthday so I take him to see The Wall. 1981 See the wall again 3 times. we see the last two nights at earls court and sleep overnight in a lay-by so we don’t have to drive up and back twice. 84 Rog in concert - he has a little strop at someone in the audience for whistling during If and there was no encore. Also saw him in Brum a week later c/w encore. also catch Dave at Hammersmith. 6th Aug 1988 (my brothers birthday again) Wembley sat at the back of the stadium (next to a transsexual) sun directly behind the band so don’t see much of the first half. Also see them in Manchester - see more this time. 89 see them twice in docklands - 3 rows from the front the first time on the side the second. 94 we catch them twice at earls court. the first time is the day after the stand collapses. Frantic day listening to the radio and ringing earls court to see if its going ahead - it does. A fantastic show. Spend the next week ringing up earls court every day to see if there are any returned tickets, manage to get a box close to the stage for ?200 that seats 4. another good show. 2002 Rog at NEC - Brill.
bmet
Knife
Knife

To Drafsack

Post by bmet »

First of all,I'm glad this thread survived the crash!

Secondly, To Drafsack:
You seem to be about the same age as me, albiet maybe a year older.
I must say I envy you.You got into the Floyd at just the right time.
I still say that if WYWH had been released at the beginning of 1975
I would have seen them June 28th in Hamilton, Ontario.Canada.
I heard Knebworth was a bit of a pain,particularly for Rick as
most of his Keyboards went out of tune during the concert!
But it must have been a unique experience due to the fact
you saw and heard Roy Harper sing Have A Cigar that one and only
time.

Cheers, bmet
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

drafsack wrote: 77 My whole life changed - Animals is released it is so good I don?t play anything else for months. See them at bingley hall - it was brill.
I've always been fascinated with the '77 shows; When you find the time could you tell us about it? I remember when they came to Milwaukee in June of '77 but was only 11 and a bit to young to go.
eternalechoes
Axe
Axe

Post by eternalechoes »

Mine's nothing dramatic really. When I was a sophmore in high school, I became friends with a girl who absolutely loved Pink Floyd. I finally took her advice and listened to Wish You Were Here. The first time I heard that album was amazing! I felt that I knew the songs already. They seemed so familiar, even though I haven't heard them before. They just seemed absolutely perfect somehow!

I immediately went out and bought Dark Side of the Moon, the Wall, and Animals within a month. From there on, I worked my way simultaneously back and forward from 70s albums.

I wish I had been old enough to see Pink Floyd in concert! I was only 10 when they toured in 1994! :cry:
Ailbhe
Axe
Axe

Post by Ailbhe »

1998--- hate Abitw on tv
May 1999--- listen to TDB and love it.
July 30, 1999--- buy Animals, give it one listen and shelve it.
September 2, 1999--- buy Delicate sound of Thunder and am amazed by SOYCD
September 8, 1999--- ditto Pulse
November 1999--- buy AMLOR and love it too
December 1999--- mindblown by The Wall and The Final Cut. Almost stop listening to anything else when I find really disturbing connections between Pink and me.
January 2000--- WYWH and DSOTM. Expected reactions.I love them.
September 2000--- buy Relics and OBC . The Syd stuff seems really strange and quirky.
December 2000--- buy Saucerful and Works. I love Embryo.
June 2001--- Piper bought and shelved.
March 2002--- buy Madcap, Barrett and Opel and get fanatical about Syd.
April- June 2002--- buy all the rest of the stuff, including Roger Waters solo albums and become totally Floyd obsessed.

Not particularly interesting, though. :oops:
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

Current Age: 16

2002: started listening to the who around the start of summer, listened to pink floyd at the end

that is all, more to come hopefully
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Charade I am »

i really dont know if what im about to say can be consider a sin.....but i really really really heard and enjoy pink floyd music when i was 21 years old....im 23 now....before that id heard only another brick in the wall and really liked it but i never felt the need to listen to them or find out a little more of their music.....UNTIL......

2001 (21 years old) I HEARD THE ENTIRE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON SYNCHRONIZED WITH THE WIZARD OF OZ MOVIE....I WAS IN SMOKING HAPPINESS...AND THAT JUST MOVED ME...IT WENT TROUGH MY SPINE, SENDING SHIVERS TO IT. I JUST COULDNT BELIEVE THEIR MUSIC...IT WAS SO DEEP AND AMAZING...I COULDNT FORGIVE MYSELF FOR HAVENT LISTENED TO IT BEFORE. SINCE THEN IM A HUGE PINK FLOYD FAN, ITS MY FAVORITE BAND OF ALL TIME....EVEN BETTER THAN THE BEATLES....I WANNA HAVE ALL THEIR RECORDS, EVERYTHING THEY HAVE, OR EVERYTHING THAT IS RELATED TO PINK FLOYD....I HAVE 6 ALBUMS...OF COURSE THE FIRST ONE I BOUGHT WAS DARK SIDE OF THE MOON, THEN I BOUGHT A SPECIAL EDITION OF ANIMALS THAT CAME WITH A SAURCEFUL OF SECRETS SONGS, THEN I GOT THE WALL, I LIKE IT MORE EVERY TIME I HEAR IT, AND THE LAST ALBUM I GOT JUST WEEKS AGO WAS THE DIVISION BELL, LIKE I SAID BEFORE IN OTHER FORUM....THE SOUND OF IT INTRIGUES ME, IT SOUNDS LIKE IF THE PLANET HAD BEEN DESTROYED AND THE ONLY THING ALIVE IS YOU BUT YOU CAN HEAR THE ECHOES OF A DISTANT AND VANISHED PINK FLOYD....THAT ALBUM IS VERY SAD.....THE NEXT THING I WANNA BUY IS THEIR POMPEII DVD
Neil

Post by Neil »

I borrorwed my cousins copy of Delicate Sound of Thunder on its release in 1988 and was immediately hooked.. I then bought the Wall and carried on from there. Saw Pink Floyd in 94 and Roger last year. I still don't feel like I've seen the 100% 'real thing' yet though - and I never will :roll:

Invent me a tardis and take me back to Earls court in 1980 and I'll never ask for anything else ever again.
In The Flesh?
Embryo
Embryo

my history with pink floyd

Post by In The Flesh? »

I am currently 21 years old.

As long as I can remember I always heard the name Pink Floyd, but never knew what songs were theirs. Then when I was I think 17 my best friend picks me up and he tells me his Dad gave him one of his old cassettes to listen to. It was Dark Side of the Moon. The rest is history. With in the next few months, I had purchased every album. No exaggeration. I then purchased Live at Pompeii, Pulse etc. Let's just say that now I have every official release of any kind, except books, I have a lot but there are too many!! I also have a bout 30 live shows on CD, and have seen Roger Waters 6 times, two of those times in London when he was joined by Nick Mason. I am still anxiously waiting for my chance to see Mr. Gilmour and Mr. Wright. I am now known as that crazy Pink Floyd girl who spits out random facts like a machine. I have spent the last few years in my own little world with the Floyd, and like it that way. :D

Dani
dogs_pigs_n_sheep
Knife
Knife

Post by dogs_pigs_n_sheep »

This has been an enjoyable thread to read, and I no longer feel like the old man of the board when I read some of these dates.

I'm 37 and here is the brief (and somewhat inaccurate) history of Floyd and me.

Pre - 79 heard a lot of Dark Side on the radio, and probably other things, but nothing that stuck with me. I listened to a lot of rock and roll radio, but was more of a Rush, Van Halen, and Cheap Trick fan at this point.

1979 I was 14 and in 8th grade. ABITW is a big hit with my age group. I knew for sure who PF was at that point, but still knew no one with an album. At this point in my development I was anti-drug and only "burnouts" listened to that kind of music. Burnouts were the drug user, hippie wanna-be's when I went to school.

1981 and 10th grade would be the first time I would "hear" Pink Floyd. A buddy who was a big fan from way back ("way back" means when he was about 12) took me to see The Wall in the theatre. He lent me his copy of The Wall and I taped it (on cassette) and listen to it over and over. If fit perfect on a 90 minute cassette. It would still be another year before I would recognize any other Pink Floyd music.

1982, 11th grade, I turned 17, and became a burnout. Things change. Many of the "dudes" I started hanging with had complete collections of Floyd. I discovered that TFC had been released just a short time before this. The first album I ever purchased for myself was TFC. That year a friend gave me a second copy of The Wall (I still have that) and a girlfriend went to England and bought me a copy of Animals and WYWH while she was there. Another buddy gave me his copy of More.

83 - 84 I was to graduate high school, but drugs were taking there toll. I didn't go to class much and as a result my principal asked me to stop hanging around the school "smoking area" since I wasn't even going to classes anyway.

84 Roger toured with PaCoHH, but I was, let's say, legally detained in 1984 during that time.

1985 I went back to school and graduated a year late. By this time, I was a full blown PF freak. I still knew little about the band, but had listen to everything from Syd Solo, to early Floyd, to PF with and without Rog.

2000 - after many, many, many years of listening to, and knowing the music of PF, I join a Webboard (was pinkfloyd.com, but the name got bought away from the owner and became pinkfan.com) and finally learn of things I never knew. I start to read books about the band. I start to argue about the who's who issues and the when what happened kind of stuff.

2002 - short stint as moderator on a PF board that was slowly being killed by jerks who didn't seem to care about PF at all, only about being the center of attention. Just prior to this, I found Neptune as well and joined. Took a break from posting to just read and do other things.

Hear I am today.