My History with the Floyd:Supplemental to the Age Poll

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Hmmm...please remember that this was a lot of drugs ago...and during...

Somewhere in the mid to latter part of 1979, my best friend and I were listening to his older brother describe a new song that had this great line about teachers leaving kids alone. Not long afterwards, I hear the song played at the local skating rink. I'm intrigued...especially by the yelling I hear at the end of the song. I seek the song out at the local department store, but not having much to go on in the way of actually knowing the group name or song title, I stare at the top twenty singles wondering which one it could be. I take a chance on a single called "Another Brick In The Wall Part Two" by someone called Pink Floyd. I figured this HAD to be the song I'd heard since it was the only song and group I didn't recognize immediately. I was incredibly relieved when I got the record home and learned my hunch had been correct.

Some time after that, another friend of mine obtains a copy of the album The Wall and plays it for me. I am immediately taken with the sudden start of the album and the dive bombing airplanes, crying infants, telephone rings, voices and many other sound effects in the album. Not long afterwards, the same best friend whose older brother turned us on to ABITWP2, introduces me to DSOTM via the 8-track his older brother (same one, I think) has stolen. He immediately puts on this song about a lunatic being in the singers head...and the creepy laugh that follows it hooks me. I have to find out more about this Pink Floyd band.

Unfortunately, my grandparents (who raised me) are among that breed of people who fear what they do not understand. This album with a prism on the cover must be some kind of satanic totem or something. However, in October of 1981, after much begging and pleading, my mother finally buys me a copy of The Wall for my 11th birthday. I become obsessed.

In November of 1982, one of my local movie theaters holds a midnight showing of The Wall...on a school night. Much more begging and pleading results in my grandfather taking me (the last time he ever attended a movie with me as yet :twisted: ) and me being allowed to stay home from school the next day. Memories that stand out are the entire imagery of the film burning itself onto my brain...and my grandfather asking me during the shaving sequence...

Grandpa: You understand this?

Me: Yeah...see the events of his early life...

Grandpa: No...no...just as long as YOU understand this.

And then him looking at me during the facist rally and asking me..."You LIKE this?" and me just kind of nodding my head in awe.

A few months after this, I damaged my ankle and had to spend some time home from school. This was before my grandparents discovered satellite dishes and VCR's (cable is STILL not run where my grandparents live) so the only things to watch were network tv and PBS. Fortunately, PBS happened to be showing some really cool stuff at the time...including this show about the effects of extreme isolation on the psyche...this show deepened my understanding of The Wall profoundly...and further fueled my obsession.

By the time I got to high school, I had obtained a couple of copies of DSOTM, and high school saw me obtaining WYWH, TFC, AMLOR, Live at Pompeii, Delicate Sound Of Thunder (VHS and cassette), Meddle and every book I could find about the band.

1992 saw me buying my first copy of Animals because I was jonsing for some Gilmour guitar work I didn't already have encoded in my DNA.

Sometime during the last three years, I've bought AHM, OBC and More. I believe the only albums I don't currently own are Piper and Saucerful...I'll get them eventually.
FFloyidanFemme
Axe
Axe

Post by FFloyidanFemme »

My first introduction to Pink Floyd was Us and Them. The album, DSOTM, had just been released. The rest is history. Listened to this album constantly, and couldn't wait until a new album was released. In the meantime, heard about Meddle, bought it, listened constantly. Driving neighbors crazy with the loud volume. Next came WYWH and ANIMALS. Finally got to see the Animals '77 concert in Madison Square Garden, in NYC, on July 4, 1977. In addtion to performing Animals, after the intermission, they performed WYWH and DSOTM. My only complaint about the concert was that it ended!!!!!!!!!!!

I have seen every concert in the NY/NJ area since then. Saw Roger Waters perform KAOS in l987, again at Madison Square Garden. Somehow, I missed the Pros and Cons concert :cry: Got to see Roger again in l999 and 2000, the In The Flesh Tours, in NY and NJ.

Happened upon a PINK FLOYD chat room on AOL about 3 years ago,,,that is where I got my education about Syd Barrett. Until then, he was just a name associated with early Floyd. Someone from the chat room sent me a video of Syd and the band performing at the UFO club...watched a l7minute live version of Interstellar Overdrive. All I could say was WOW. Bought many of early CD's with Syd songs.

Most recent purchase was David Gilmour's new DVD. I could go on and on, but I am sure that everyone here has similar feelings. :D
enigma00
Axe
Axe

Post by enigma00 »

Birth-Age of 14: I like the Pink Floyd that I hear on the radio, like Comfortably Numb, Run Like Hell, Young Lust, and Wish You Were Here, but never really delve deep into them.

Then, I turned 15, and after really starting to get into the likes of Rush and Zeppelin, decided to hear and learn more about Floyd.

I'm now 16 and I own almost every Floyd album. They blow me away every time I listen.

Screw the new music of today! (apart from U2 and Matthew Good anyway). I'll take Rush, Floyd and Zep any day!
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by princessDungan74D »

I am 16. Last year I start to listen to it because I got sick(mentaly) and when my mom drove to the hospital the song with on. I felt things were going to get better. They did.
MikeWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by MikeWaters »

Apparently I've liked Pink FLoyd since i was 4! My dad said that Id always go to sleep ,no matter how hyper i was, to SOYCD.

Age 4- I go out and begg my dad to buy the album with the pig on the cover (animals) listened to it a lot but got tired of it. (like most 6 year olds get with anything)

age 5- my dad tells me hes going to see pink floyd in concert- P.U.L.S.E tour... My curiosity grows

age11--- find animals in my dads cd collection(even though it was mine)
listen to it constantly.

current day age 14-- Bought about 11 pink floyd cds(some off ebay) and now im going to bid on the Shine on Box set!