Gilmour Plays Jazz/Fusion?

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
Blue Prism
Blade
Blade

Gilmour Plays Jazz/Fusion?

Post by Blue Prism »

I just picked up a CD from the Christian Mcbride band called Sci-Fi on the Verve label. The reason I bought it was because I was listening to one of the college radio stations over here and a jazz arrangement of Steely Dan's "Aja" came on the air. It was a nice arrangement, and there was a rather colorful guitar solo somewhere in the middle. When the song finished, the DJ came on with the album credit info, and hit me with the news that David Gilmour of Pink Floyd played the solo! This was VERY uncharacteristic of what I usually hear Dave do, so I never saw it coming at all. He only plays two solos on this album, but they are very imaginative, and Dave was obviously making a conscious effort to pick around in unfamiliar territory for Floyd fans, sounding more like Bill Frisell instead :D . His name is mis-spelled Gilmore on the album credits (not the first time that's happened, but his tone is indeed there...just don't expect the solo from "Comfortably Numb" or "Money", or whatever you're most familiar with.

Has anyone else heard this one? I wish Dave had more than two solos, but I highly recommend this fine jazz recording if you come across it.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I'm not sure it's the same Dave. There is a fusion jazz guitarist named David Gilmore (yes, he spells it that way). He has his own album, Ritualism, which came out in 2000. I think it's him that's playing on the McBride album.

I haven't heard the Sci-Fi album, but I have read some very positive things about it though....may just have to check it out.
Blue Prism
Blade
Blade

Post by Blue Prism »

I believe you are correct. I was just reading about fusion guitarist David Gilmore as I got your reply, although I've never heard him play. I guess I got excited hearing something other than minor pentatonics, but you never know. :lol:

Apparently I'm not the only one who got confused, according to some of the reviews I've seen. Gilmore has great tone, and taste...that I would typically attach to the Gilmour name, but yeah, it's quite a departure from the Floyd-type soloing we would expect.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Blue Prism wrote:Apparently I'm not the only one who got confused, according to some of the reviews I've seen.
Hey, could happen to anyone. I once downloaded some tracks by John Anderson thinking I was going to get some tasty solo stuff from the Yes singer, but got country music instead! :lol: But reviewers :shock: they should know better!
pompeii purple
Hammer
Hammer

Post by pompeii purple »

Not your fault. The DJ led you astray.
Blue Prism
Blade
Blade

Post by Blue Prism »

Yeah, sorry about the misleading thread. :?

The good news is that I can still highly recommend Sci-Fi, even though it's not even remotely connected to Pink Floyd.

I wonder if David Gilmore doesn't like being called "Dave" either. :roll:
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

pompeii purple wrote:Not your fault. The DJ led you astray.
Hang the DJ :twisted: