Polly Samson = Yoko Oh-no?

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
dearboy
Blade
Blade

Polly Samson = Yoko Oh-no?

Post by dearboy »

Anyone else notice her creeping tendrils here? What started out with contibuting a few lyrics on one PF album has morphed into something approaching Ono-land. She is a fine photographer. But her contibutions toward this album's lyrics and the overall design leave me cold. She sings on it too. And plays piano. I don't know. I just don't know...
PFralst
Knife
Knife

Post by PFralst »

Your observation had crossed my mind too.
But since David and Polly not yet stayed for a week in a bed in Amsterdam infront of world media there?s no risk for a new John and Yoko syndrome.

It might looks more like a parallel of another member of The Beatles, Paul and Linda McCartney?
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

...or perhaps David just enjoys making music with his wife...
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

Jees......there is a conspiracy theory for every situation going !

Is every singer songwriter that lets his spouse/girlfriend contribute in any way whatsoever musically going to be tagged a Yoko Ono misfit ?

I'm with the above post on this.
Slambient Expressway
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Slambient Expressway »

Massed Gadgets wrote:...or perhaps David just enjoys making music with his wife...
Exactly, give her a break. It's seems pretty sexist that people always assume the worst of a woman whenever she's involved with her famous musician husband. Granted, the lyrics aren't good, but have you seen the crap Dave has written? Why would Polly want to hijack a career of a 60 year old man who wants to make a laid back, safe album? Wer should in fact be thanking her, David could've made another AMLOR in 1994 :o
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Rog never let his wife get involved with any of his records - mind you he was never with any of them long enough for them to contribute :D
dearboy
Blade
Blade

Post by dearboy »

If Polly had been a singer/songwriter in her own right when they met, I would expect them to collaborate. I'd welcome it. It would probably be amazing stuff too. But she wasn't - and it's not.
I agree, David hasn't always delivered brilliant lyrics, but what he has written were his lyrics. His thoughts on paper. I would have prefered more of that this time out. He's obviously been pretty mellow lately. And having her help out with the album would have lightened his load.
Seems to me that this album displays her ambition coupled with his lack of outstanding zeal. Just my opinion of course, but I think the result is pretty weak sauce.
Zoophobia
Axe
Axe

Post by Zoophobia »

Massed Gadgets wrote:...or perhaps David just enjoys making music with his wife...

I agree with you! :wink:
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

This is what I recently said to a friend in regards to the lyrics:

"Polly certainly isn't a Roger Waters. Hell, she's not even a David Gilmour."

I did not lol after I said it, either.

Now, I DO see a plus to it, however.

I'm not certain of exactly how closely the two worked with each other, but if her lyrics were written independently of the music (which I think may be the case...just me, though,) then she certainly challenged Gilmour's ability to find pleasing melodic phrases.

On An Island is kind of growing on me the more I listen to it...but I just don't feel compelled to listen to it much.

That could change...I once felt that way about The Final Cut.

Not saying that there's any comparison, mind you.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

mosespa wrote: That could change...I once felt that way about The Final Cut.

Not saying that there's any comparison, mind you.

Well they are both solo albums :D
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

Just because Polly didn't write lyrics before she got with Dave doesn't even come in to the question.Maybe Dave gets locked into something and she helps break through the problem.I don't see no problem with her helping but to say she is like Yoko Ono is really a reach.She has done none of the stupid and overbearing thing that ONO did.
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

Exactly! God, why does there have to be a negative comment for every good thing happening in the world. Maybe mosespa could explain that to us one more time ;)

oh and btw, now we are talking about you mosespa:
mosespa wrote:On An Island is kind of growing on me the more I listen to it...but I just don't feel compelled to listen to it much.

That could change...I once felt that way about The Final Cut.
It's nice to see this coming from you, cause I didn't really expect you to ever start liking OAI. I have similar thoughts about the album, especially the second half was kind of hard to digest for me the first week (e.g. Pocketful of Stones), but lately I find myself skipping the first 4 or 6 songs more and more often to focus on stuff like Close My Eyes, Pocketful and Where We Start...

Also: seeing Take A Breath performed live changed my opinion about it radically. Initially I thought it was a little meh... but in fact it's an awesome rocker. I think David Gilmour just didn't succeed in capturing the raw power (which it certainly had in Amsterdam) in the studio. Maybe he went a little to far in toning it down to fit in with the lazy, relaxing mood of the rest of the album.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

ganaffe wrote:God, why does there have to be a negative comment for every good thing happening in the world. Maybe mosespa could explain that to us one more time ;)
It's the Unity Of Duality, dude.

Everything's gotta have an opposite or it has no context within which to exist.
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

mosespa wrote:
ganaffe wrote:God, why does there have to be a negative comment for every good thing happening in the world. Maybe mosespa could explain that to us one more time ;)
It's the Unity Of Duality, dude.

Everything's gotta have an opposite or it has no context within which to exist.
you da man. :D
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

ganaffe wrote:
you da man. :D
I know...but it sounds so arrogant when I say it 8)

I think that's the most succinct explanation of it that I've EVER given, lol.