Polly Samson = Yoko Oh-no?

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
crofloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by crofloyd »

drafsack wrote:Rog never let his wife get involved with any of his records - mind you he was never with any of them long enough for them to contribute :D
he didn't allow his bandmates to contribute, let alone his wife 8)
henno

Post by henno »

do you think she is going to cause Pink Floyd to break up....

NEWSFLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

need i say more.....
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

Aahhhhhhh, the truth at last... Polly made David destroy Pink Floyd cause Roger wouldn't let her write the lyrics when she secretely was Rogers second wife back in the seventies. :lol:
cRaB
Knife
Knife

Post by cRaB »

drafsack wrote:Rog never let his wife get involved with any of his records - mind you he was never with any of them long enough for them to contribute :D
he did worse...

he let one of his ex appearing on an official PF sleeve.... :D
Lurking Fear
Axe
Axe

Post by Lurking Fear »

Um, Dave always has contributors on all his solo albums-
read the credits for the songs on about face. He's the first to admit he's not much of a lyracist.
Randy Floyd
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Randy Floyd »

The only thing I have a problem w/is the album cover. I'm sure the wifey had an influence on this. Anyone else think it looks kind of um, (oh wots the word i'm looking for here)..."gay"?

I'd much rather prefer the same thing, though w/DG standing on that little island, silhouetted w/his guitar. :wink:
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

What exactly is wrong with Yoko Ono?
Any Colour
Blade
Blade

Post by Any Colour »

Don't deny a man a bit of hapiness in his life.
Zoophobia
Axe
Axe

Post by Zoophobia »

David does not give a crap what anyone thinks about his wife or his album. He loves them both dearly.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

Polly really can't be compared to Yoko because Polly had nothing to do with the initial break-up of Pink Floyd in 1983. Are we perhaps mixing up Yoko with Linda Mcartney?
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

This is kind of overreactive. So Dave collaborates with his wife who happens to be a new musician. And by the way, I do think being a songwriter and session musician makes her a musician in her own right.

Yoko never even went that far, except for Sometime In NYC and Double Fantasy/Milk And Honey; and by then she was already an accomplished songwriter, and it wasn't as much a "handout" as it was a collaboration with another musician.
Aside from that, she inspired; but she never had so much as a guest vocal, let alone an instrument or going as far as to write lyrics for John.

I do think Yoko and Polly are totally diffirent. Incidentially, I'm a Yoko fan. (Approximately Infinite Universe has got to be one of the finest albums I've heard in a long time.)
goldeneagle33
Blade
Blade

Post by goldeneagle33 »

Tenniru wrote:This is kind of overreactive. So Dave collaborates with his wife who happens to be a new musician. And by the way, I do think being a songwriter and session musician makes her a musician in her own right.

Yoko never even went that far, except for Sometime In NYC and Double Fantasy/Milk And Honey; and by then she was already an accomplished songwriter, and it wasn't as much a "handout" as it was a collaboration with another musician.
Aside from that, she inspired; but she never had so much as a guest vocal, let alone an instrument or going as far as to write lyrics for John.

I do think Yoko and Polly are totally diffirent. Incidentially, I'm a Yoko fan. (Approximately Infinite Universe has got to be one of the finest albums I've heard in a long time.)
I guess you never watched yoko writhing and wailing on the floor of the rolling stones rock and roll circus video while john and eric clapton were trying to ignore her and keep the music going. But then I guess that does'nt qualify for being a vocal.
I guess I read that Polly is a novelist of some sort, seems like her contribution lyrically is probably better than david could do, but her qualifications as a musician are still unproven. I haven't heard that she has sang on the tour yet, so maybe there is still hope!
goldeneagle33
Blade
Blade

Post by goldeneagle33 »

I thought I would do a little research, I found this review at Amazon, for a book titled Out of the Picture, by Polly Samson:
From Publishers Weekly
A clerk in a London photo agency, 20-something Lizzie is trapped in an unhappy affair with her compulsively philandering married boss. For Lizzie, the likably neurotic heroine of Polly Samson's Out of the Picture, everything that's wrong with her life seems to lead back to her father, who abandoned the family when she was small and continues to obsess her. Samson's debut novel (which follows the story collection Lying in Bed) is a finely crafted diversion, but if there are no wrong notes, there's also not much that sets these characters apart from the distant parents and mournful young women who populate so many post-Mona Simpson coming-of-age novels.
Copyright 2002 Cahners Business Information, Inc.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Tenniru wrote: but she never had so much as a guest vocal
You've OBVIOUSLY never heard The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill from The White Album.

(Whispering like Jack Palance:) Check it out.
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

goldeneagle33 wrote:I guess you never watched yoko writhing and wailing on the floor of the rolling stones rock and roll circus video while john and eric clapton were trying to ignore her and keep the music going. But then I guess that does'nt qualify for being a vocal.
That, and her appearance during the Toronto gig by the Plastic Ono Band, are the most horrific and embarasing moments in the history of rock music. Why on earth did nobody tell her to quit it because she was raping, literally raping, a good piece of music? Didn't John Lennon have the nerve to tell her it was goin nowhere? I really don't get it.

All my very humble opinion, of course...

Or am I simply to naive to understand the deeper meaning of this type of 'avant-garde'...