Polly Samson = Yoko Oh-no?

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
towg

Post by towg »

It's a bit Spinal Tap if you ask me. I reckon she should keep her nose out his business.

She ain't doing him any favours, lyricwise
donholme
Axe
Axe

Post by donholme »

At least she cant split anyone up!!! :D
flouncey
Embryo
Embryo

Post by flouncey »

towg wrote: I reckon she should keep her nose out his business.

Why should she? she's married to him for gods sake.
Ringorocks

Post by Ringorocks »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:Polly really can't be compared to Yoko because Polly had nothing to do with the initial break-up of Pink Floyd in 1983. Are we perhaps mixing up Yoko with Linda Mcartney?
Y.E.S.

The Toronto concert by POB still gives me nightmares. I have the DVD, and I never touch it, solely because of Yoko.
Don't get me wrong though, I really love Yoko for being someone that John loved, and that made him happy.
The Beatles were never going to last forever anyway, and since all human beings need something or someone to blame for everything that goes wrong in their lives, Yoko was absolutely perfect for this purpose with reference to the break-up of the Beatles. But like TGD said, Polly had nothing to do with the initial break-up of PF, thus they can't (IMHO) be compared.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Okay...I've been holding back on this in the hopes that someone else would touch on it.

Yoko Ono DID NOT break up The Beatles.

The Beatles broke up over McCartney and Lennon's inability to agree on who their business manager should be. One of the wanted Alan Klein and the other didn't.

The only thing that Yoko did vis-a-vis The Beatles was to encourage John to push the envelope even further than he already had.
Ringorocks

Post by Ringorocks »

mosespa wrote:Okay...I've been holding back on this in the hopes that someone else would touch on it.

The Beatles broke up over McCartney and Lennon's inability to agree on who their business manager should be. One of the wanted Alan Klein and the other didn't.

The only thing that Yoko did vis-a-vis The Beatles was to encourage John to push the envelope even further than he already had.
Couldn't agree more.
donholme
Axe
Axe

Post by donholme »

Ringorocks wrote:
mosespa wrote:Okay...I've been holding back on this in the hopes that someone else would touch on it.

Couldn't agree more.
If you say so..........
The Gnome
Blade
Blade

Post by The Gnome »

Well, this seems like a lovealbum. A statement of their love, and Gilmour seems to be VERY in love. So whats the problem? Im a bit fed up with this about Yoko, why the heck do people think she is evil? Lennon did what he want, and I think he loved his wife very much. Just leave this b.s. once and for all..
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

mosespa wrote:
Tenniru wrote: but she never had so much as a guest vocal
You've OBVIOUSLY never heard The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill from The White Album.

(Whispering like Jack Palance:) Check it out.
Damn, I forgot that one. Well, aside from that.

Also, I agree that her early "screaming" stuff (e.g. everything from Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band and surrounding singles) was crap. Sadly, it was such crap that her reputation was already drilled far into the ground by the time she started creating good material in '72 (Approximately Infinite Universe on).

Also, I do agree strongly with the sentiment that Yoko didn't break up the Beatles.
Lurking Fear
Axe
Axe

Post by Lurking Fear »

remember "the art of noise"? that was pretty good stuff.
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

The Gnome wrote: Well, this seems like a lovealbum. A statement of their love, and Gilmour seems to be VERY in love. So whats the problem?
No problem what so ever, I like OAI very much and I think the comparison between Polly Samson and Yoko Ono is complete bollocks.
The Gnome wrote:Im a bit fed up with this about Yoko, why the heck do people think she is evil?
Yoko Ono is not evil. But here performances on the Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus and the Plastic Ono Band Toronto Gig are (to me) really awkward. I do not see any value in her contribution and am wondering why on earth nobody suggested her to back off. The music would (in my opinion) have been a lot more interesting and/or pleasant without her.
The Gnome wrote:Lennon did what he want, and I think he loved his wife very much. Just leave this b.s. once and for all..
Yes he did, and I don't doubt his love for Yoko Ono. But love is blind. I think this is proven by the fact that she was allowed to participate on this level in his music. His love for Yoko Ono blinded John Lennon for the fact that the Plastic Ono Band could have been a great project if it would have been the Plastic Lennon Band.

But then again: maybe I am simply too naive to understand the deeper meaning of her 'avant-garde'...
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

ganaffe wrote:But then again: maybe I am simply too naive to understand the deeper meaning of her 'avant-garde'...
The Simpsons "Barbershop Quartet" episode ...

Yoko "Number 8"
Barney "belch"
Yoko "Number 8" :lol:
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

ganaffe wrote:But then again: maybe I am simply too naive to understand the deeper meaning of her 'avant-garde'...
Or maybe you just didn't notice Approximately Infinite Universe, Feeling The Space, and A Story; which were three of the greatest things the Plastic Ono Band put out. Then again, if Pink Floyd is allowed to be represented by a Ummagumma, AMLoR, Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast, and It Would Be So Nice then it's fine to think of Yoko as a few B-Sides and "Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band"!

Oh, wait.
peesea
Knife
Knife

Post by peesea »

She's no Yoko. Yoko was someone who was an artist of some repute prior to her being snagged by a beatle. Her video of crusty hippie bottoms is classic++.

She's no Linda Eastman Either. After all she didn't ask her Daddy to buy her a member of Pink Floyd, try to Shag Roger and then get lumped with Dave.

She is, however, a rather large presence in poor ol Daves life. And furthurmore, if she wants the posts about her being "a Yoko" to stop she better cut off all sexual favours until Dave goes back to Rog, tail between his legs, and begs him to help him construct the next floyd album/tour. :D
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

Obviously Polly is no Yoko