Who is carrying the torch?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
ng
Embryo
Embryo

Who is carrying the torch?

Post by ng »

Which band(s) do forum members think is/are keeping alive the spirit of Floyd? I don't think they neccessarily need to sound like or imitate Floyd but rather more importantly make their music with the same qualities, talent etc. :?
AthousandMilesOfMoonlight
Blade
Blade

Post by AthousandMilesOfMoonlight »

BINGOMASTER & THE BREAKDOWNS!!!!!!! :D
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

The Flaming Lips, The Coral, Radiohead and Zwan i feel are keeping the pink floyd spirit alive musically while i would think for sheer musicianship Beck is.
Blade
Blade

I think Zwan are keeping a lot of musical legacies alive not just pink floyd
im thinking of Joy Division/New Order, billy corgan was heavy into those 2
bands(which are almost the same bands apart from poor ian curtis)
What do you think of the new radiohead track?
I think it isnt too bad actually, not as depressing as some of their earlier stuff.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Which new track? Haven't watched a music show in ages although i probably do have it on a bootleg somewhere.

I never really though of Zwan as being like New order/ Joy Division, although now that you mention it they are a bit in places.

Billy Corgan is a very talented guy i feel and as a musician is totally under rated. His stint as dictator of The Smshing Pumpkins reminds me of Roger's for Pink Floyd. He's a tortured musician that felt he was the only true song writer in his band writing concepts and works that many may not appreciate but to him were the slayings of personal demons. The landscaping he could do with his music is also very smiliar, he was truely a Roger for the 90's and i feel Zwan are soon to be the same for this new century, even if their album isn't great the do have Billy and that's as good a reason as any to predict a great future for them.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

Personally, I think U2 comes the closest. Admittedly I'm not familiar with those other bands that have been mentioned other than smashing Pumpkins. Floyd and U2 are similar in the fact that individually I don't think they are stellar musicians but they fit each other well. Also, they both never made music to be trendy or anything. They did what they felt sounded good to them and they never got caught up in trying to sound like the latest and greatest band. They also carry themselves the same way in the studio as far as the meticulous detail that is followed to make sure everything is perfect.
Pyroflam
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Pyroflam »

Dream Theater, with their album "metropolis part II, scene from memories", no ?
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

I feel U2 are quite the opposite from Pink Floyd. IMO U2 are a bunch of popstars. Bono is the classic charismatic rock start type who began his career as an angry young man before he began doing love songs and came big from it.

Compare Sunday Bloody Sunday to songs like Elevation. The very problem U2 have is that hey hit commericial success and now everything they do is so anthemic. They sound less irish now and have began to slither down the slide of sounding like an american pop rock sensation. Bono needs to rethink U2 quickly before e completly sells out the rock ethics.
Blade
Blade

I dont know what you mean by sounding "less Irish" (to temper that opinion i recommend listening to the beginning of Beautiful Day,he sounds
exactly like he always has,apart from being a bit more croaky) BUT i agree with you when you say they need a major rethink about where theyre goin, the last album had a few good tunes but it wasnt as experimental as POP which i thought was a better record
There are a few similarities between the floyd and u2 but not that many,the main one i would put forward is a love of experimentation which both bands Had,pink floyd kind of lost some of the musical experimentation towards the end and i also feel u2 are in the same position now,where can you go with two guitars and Drums?
U2 need to take a step back and do a bit of messin around like they did with the passengers album and see what happens.
In the words of the stranglers "Something better change" :)
eternalechoes
Axe
Axe

Post by eternalechoes »

Although many of today's bands do not necessarily sound like Pink Floyd, they certainly have the musicmanship qualities and talent that Pink Floyd possessed. It's just that some of the good ones are not very popular in this age when simplicity is preferred over talent or innovation in mainstream music.
Pyroflam wrote:Dream Theater, with their album "metropolis part II, scene from memories", no ?
I definately agree to that! Also Tool and Opeth... the other bands I am obsessed with. :P
MoreOrLess
Blade
Blade

Post by MoreOrLess »

Posted: Mon May 19, 2003 6:47 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel U2 are quite the opposite from Pink Floyd. IMO U2 are a bunch of popstars. Bono is the classic charismatic rock start type who began his career as an angry young man before he began doing love songs and came big from it.

Compare Sunday Bloody Sunday to songs like Elevation. The very problem U2 have is that hey hit commericial success and now everything they do is so anthemic. They sound less irish now and have began to slither down the slide of sounding like an american pop rock sensation. Bono needs to rethink U2 quickly before e completly sells out the rock ethics.
If you compair the careers of the two bands as a whole they are very simular. Both started off with a trademark sound that they perfected until they became massive stars(DOSTM for floyd, Joshua Tree for U2) then shifted direction for another massive hit(The Wall for Floyd, Achung Baby for U2) before shifting back to something closer to there orginal sound(2 gimour albums for floyd, last album for U2). Even if you dont like U2 the suggestion that they do what they do for the mass market certainly isnt true for most of there career and there current work is less of a sellout than pink floyd post waters work(not that I think either is THAT mcuh of a sellout).

Back to the orginal question i'd say in the 90's the Verve were the band that kept the spirit of pink floyd alive most espeically on there early singles and first album. Tracks like gravity grave, a man called sun, she's a superstar, blue, slide away and butterfly are all in the spirit of spacerock floyd without merely trying to ape their style.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

The flaming lips and the Dandy Warhols
Blade
Blade

Do you like my new avatar?! i heard he is a really big floyd fan! :D
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

AthousandMilesOfMoonlight wrote:Do you like my new avatar?! i heard he is a really big floyd fan! :D
Is it you? :)
Blade
Blade

No Way!! ha ha, its Ian Paisley, the voice of moderation and goodwill himself!! :lol: