What live material is in the vaults?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
MoreOrLess
Blade
Blade

What live material is in the vaults?

Post by MoreOrLess »

Ok what with the upcoming live led zeppelin releases do you think the floyd have anything simular in their vaults?

Personally they always struct me as a bit more professional than Zep so i'd not be suprized if a larger number of shows were professionally recorded(and by that i dont just mean a soundboard recording I mean a proper multi-track recording). I'v always heard rumours that most of the latter stages of the animals tour in the US was recorded for a possable live release although i'v no idea if any of the shows were filmed. Other than that the only definate stuff I know about are the amsterdam 69 show, the 1970 live promo and the wall shows. I'd guess that there could also be stuff from the following...

1.Complete recordings of the shows used for Ummagumma.
2.Other recordings of the man/the journey(albert hall being the most lightly) from 69 for a possable live album.
3.Recordings of the early darkside 72 gigs for the band to listen to post show, although these could just be soundboards I spose.
4.Recordings of the US 73 tour for a possable live release after the sucess of darkside.
5.Recording of the knedworth 75 show just because most gigs at knedworth seem to be recorded in some form.
MikeWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by MikeWaters »

I don't know but the footage on the DSOM EPK look pretty good!
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

I want everything on a sickeningly expensive DVD box set. Now. :(
Last edited by Feeling Very Pink on Mon May 19, 2003 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Re: What live material is in the vaults?

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

MoreOrLess wrote:Personally they always struct me as a bit more professional than Zep
That's for sure. :twisted: :twisted: Don't throw things at me, please.
MikeWaters wrote:I don't know but the footage on the DSOM EPK look pretty good!
I've examined both the EPK and the BBC Classic album special (which I was fortunate enough to download online) and the footage is rather doctored for the songs. What I mean by that, is that I have seen that footage in the form of CWTAE, STCFTHOTS and an instrumental Breathe on a VOIO, which is also available online for download, and although those performances exist, that footage was heavily edited to make it appear the songs on the DSOTM EPK and BBC special were being performed, but it's just really scraps of footage from other stuff. So actually, there was really no new live performances of DSOTM (as far as my eyes go)...just edited footage to make it look like they're singing those songs.

Nonetheless, the EPK and the BBC special were great, lots of zooming and sweeping of stills (Ken Burns effect) I haven't seen before...great current interviews with them.
bmet
Knife
Knife

Live Stuff

Post by bmet »

The later '77 stuff would probably not be good because Roger was getting
more and more agitated with the crowds by the time he hit NY and Montreal.If there is a European recording avaliable it might be the
best one to be released from '77.
I'm sure they have an ample amount of recordings from all of their
tours and a box set would be snapped up by every fan worldwide.
(once again we look to Roger,out of all members,to find the possible
snag in this "hold back" of this goldmine to a Floyd Fan.)
As for A DVD: I'm sure someone out there could put together an
excellent Anothology ala Beatles & Stones.There may not be as many DVD's in the package like the examples mentioned above,but it definitely could be done.The only snag is :Is there any or enough footage from 1973-1977 to warrant a decent telling of the Pink Floyd Story!?
MikeWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by MikeWaters »

Well If they edited the footage then they did a really good job of it!
MoreOrLess
Blade
Blade

Post by MoreOrLess »

The later '77 stuff would probably not be good because Roger was getting
more and more agitated with the crowds by the time he hit NY and Montreal.If there is a European recording avaliable it might be the
best one to be released from '77.
Whatever his faults Roger doesnt strike me as the sort of person that would strink from releasing footage like that. Personally I think a DVD of the final 77 show where he spits at a fan would make a classic release and would show alot of his motives for creating the wall. It would certainly get alot more media atension than anything else(post syd anyway) and probabley sell better as a result. One of the problems many rock critics have with the band was there facelessness something which such a release would remove.
crofloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by crofloyd »

I want to see Games for May! On a triple DVD, along with studio footage of making TPATGOD, promo films (See Emily Play, Arnold Layne), UFO footage, five men Pink Floyd and everything with Syd and PF until 1968.
MikeWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by MikeWaters »

Pugs on the Wing,

Where is that voio of breathe availible for download? Id very much like to download it!
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

MikeWaters wrote:Pugs on the Wing,

Where is that voio of breathe availible for download? Id very much like to download it!
Go to pinnaclespeakers.com/pete/pfftp.htm and there's information there about their ftp. There's a bunch of stuff there. It takes forever though, so try it some day when you have nothing to do.
MikeWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by MikeWaters »

thanks a bunch!!!
MikeWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by MikeWaters »

Darn, it wont let me get to the folder because ive got a 56k modem! oh well :(
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Re: What live material is in the vaults?

Post by Tommy »

MoreOrLess wrote:Personally they always struct me as a bit more professional than Zep
do you mean in their manner in stuff? i agree, but i dont think its good. led zeppelin is your classic, quintessential rock band. they drugged, sexed, and rock and rolled like no other (except maybe the stones). i think its cool that theres all these myths that surround them and stuff (like the shark) and i think it makes them very exciting and fun. i guess im saying that, while pink floyd is my favorite band, they seem a tad bit dull, but thats ok
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Got to admit i've never liked Pink Floyd as people that much, always seemed to stuck up or something, although i do love their music and albums e.t.c Led Zepplin i definitly feel are more interesting people though for much the same reasons Tommy said.

Got to say though, the people that make the music don't effect the music for me, that is except people like Gary Glitter who i hate and as a result will never listen to the music off. But Pink Floyd as people certainly don't put me off their music. They're very respectible guys, maybe just a little bit dull and arrogant.
FFloyidanFemme
Axe
Axe

Post by FFloyidanFemme »

Feeling Very Pink wrote:I want everything on a sickeningly expensive DVD box set. Now. :(
YES!!!!!!!!!!! :D