Do you think members of Pink Floyd read this forum?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.

Do you think the members of Pink Floyd read this forum?

yes
18%
no
82%

Total votes: 34

pfco

Post by pfco »

Pugs on the Wing wrote:I think they have better things to do. So do I, for that matter. Why am I here? :roll: They're also from a generation that is not all that into computers. Now somewhere I heard on the 'net that Roger uses a Mac (I have no idea if this is true or not) and I am positive that I saw a Macintosh G4 sitting behind David Gilmour in a recent interview (The VH1 Legends one--can you imagine...Roger and David having something in common? :lol: ), so it's not as if they are computer illiterate, but just because you use one doesn't mean you use it in the way that someone 30 years younger does.

Seriously, I really can't see it.
Pardon, but I think you're mistaken here. How can you lump an entire generation into what your personal opinion may be?

For example, my husband and I are in David's, Nick's, Roger's and Rick's generation. We have a website, a chat channel, an auction site, and a fan message forum (as you know)....and, we also visit newsgroups, other boards, etc. we keep our fingers on the pulse of the net at all times. And we are definitely not an exception...we know many people our age who are computer savvy and heavily invested either business-wise or personally. So maybe next time you should state things you are not sure of as opinion :)

Sandy
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

I am willing to wager that baby boomers (and those born during WW II) who are "into computers" (i.e., quite tech savvy) are rather few and far between. With that said, we all realize they are a "net minority."
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

JML wrote: BTW: I have never really understood this "Publius Enigma" -thing, does it have something to do with DSOTM ans Wizard of Oz? I remember that I once read something about this Publius Enigma, but I didn't really get it.
You can just search for Publius Enigma or here is a good quick guide to it:

http://www.pinkfloyd-co.com/unt/unt_eni ... nigma.html

I think the 'Enigma' was for people to communicate better. Talk to each other. And so on... there was a book that was similar to Division Bell that it could of been based off of. Can't think of it off the top of my head which book. But anyway hope that helps ya JML. :D

And I think the members of Pink Floyd are computer savy, more then we think. Because they are so technically inclined and curious. Editing music on computers takes alot of knowledge. Im sure even if they had nothing to do with any of the editing with their modern albums, they atleast watched to make sure. And picked up on some things. If you can understand how to edit sound you can type in a www.
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

It's not just my opinion. I've heard accounts of generational differences in computer use for a decade or more.

Statistics:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0901656.html

"The Harris study showed that younger people who are on the verge of entering their prime spending years are more likely to value their computers, with 57 percent saying it's their most important machine. Among 35- to 49-year-olds, 48 percent said the computer was at the top of their list, and just 44 percent of those over 50 counted computers as their top electronic gadget."

and different ages use computers differently:

"Computer use also varied significantly according to the age group. Many 18- to 34-year-olds said listening to music was the most important activity they performed with their PC; people in the 35 to 49 age range often cited job-related tasks; and people over 50 leaned toward e-mail."

the above from: http://news.com.com/2100-1040-971060.html?tag=cd_mh

My mom uses a computer, but it's only for the occasional email and mostly surfing medical sites. I use mine for my work, but I don't use it nearly as much for social interaction or game playing as someone half my age would. And I'm not anywhere near "under-the-hood" savvy when it comes to the tech workings of computer as younger people are. I have more friends from my general generation who have absolutely nothing to do with computers, either personally or at their jobs, and don't want to have anything to do with them than I do friends like myself who use them for their work *and* for their personal stuff. I do have a friend in her 50s who is learning very quickly about the internet and html, but that was after years and years of not even wanting the internet in her house.

Yes, there will be older and middle-aged people who are quite computer savvy, just as there are young people who don't want to learn computers, but they not representative of their generation as a whole. And that is what I was referring to.
Piper
Knife
Knife

Post by Piper »

I'd like to think at least of em does. Maybe Syd! - he doesnt do much besides paint and mull around at home (well then again probably not given his condition, but its an interesting thought).

btw what is this Nick Mason pie joke? or should I ask?
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Piper wrote:I'd like to think at least of em does. Maybe Syd! - he doesnt do much besides paint and mull around at home (well then again probably not given his condition, but its an interesting thought).

btw what is this Nick Mason pie joke? or should I ask?
Watch Live At Pompeii. :wink:
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

I know this is an old topic but here is an interview I found online from an MSN chat in 2000, confirming at least David uses the net:

MSN- Forgive the gushy intro David :o) You are very welcome online. Do you use the Internet much?

DG- I'm not brilliant at it but I'm using it more and more. I havent yet to try other uses for it. I haven't chatted online before.

So there you have it. That was in 2000. He's had three years to wisen up! ;)

Actually found it from a Polish fan site Rik gave in a past post here is the rest of the interview pretty neat:

http://davegilmour.rockmetal.art.pl/index1.html
Last edited by Meddler on Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diin Jaffa
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Diin Jaffa »

Gabriel wrote:I HAVE MY FIRST TWO HAMMERS ICON!!!! YEAH!!! :twisted:
its just another brick in the wall.
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Charade I am »

not here...not here 8)