Most overrated member of Pink Floyd?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.

Who is the most over-rated member of Pink Floyd?

Rick
5%
Dave
24%
Nick
14%
Roger
38%
Syd
19%

Total votes: 37

Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Most overrated member of Pink Floyd?

Post by Tommy »

this outta start up something nice
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

David.

He is undoubtedly one of the preeminent guitarists and vocalists of all-time, but he was NOT "the main man" in Pink Floyd (Please do not ask me to express my feelings on PWPF). Although Gilmour is a fabulous guitarist and vocalist, he is clearly NOT an exceptional songwriter. Give him a solid foundation to work with and he will shine. Have him as the "top guy, " or "main man, " so to speak, and he will be mediocre at best (Even with Bob Ezrin really running the show). I must also state quite frankly that he thought, and probably still thinks, that Pink Floyd is simply his personal moneymaking machine. He obviously has little, if any, true respect for all that is Pink Floyd (See his interviews, what he did with the "trademark, " etc.). I would call him a businessman before I would call him an artist (Not that there is anything wrong with being a businessman).

I adore Gilmour for his superb guitar and vocal work, but he is vastly overrated by numerous Pink Floyd fans. In my mind, he is without question the most overrated member of Pink Floyd.
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

~A PLAGUE ON BOTH YOUR HOUSES! A PLAGUE ON BOTH YOUR HOUSES~

Roger and David are the only two over-rated members... Rick, Nick, and Syd are anything but over rated. I don't consider David or Roger to be over rated, I think they are rated as neccessary. People who are ignorant or have strong feelings towards either one might think otherwise. :) All depends on how you look at the scheme of things.

If I had to choose it would be: Pink. He is way too over-rated and should be shot and hung out to dry.

I think a better topic would be who is the most under-rated member... I think I'll start it up. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
MikeWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by MikeWaters »

lol NICK is the most over-rated member!
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Post by JML »

I think there's no overrated members in the band. And if there is (is there something wich can count it?) I can count Rog and Dave out. They have done most of Pink Floyd -music. Maybe there is overrated bands and movies and music, but there is no overrated bandmembers because there wouldn't be band (as we them remember) without their members... even I didn't get my point.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Firstly, i'd like to say, with this thread we will all be expressing opinions, express your own but don't just argue other people's or someone's going to take this thread down- David's professional side

Now to take part, it has to be Syd. I feel it's wrong that so many people call Syd a genius when he's clearly not. he wrote a set of nice lyrics and i'm sure the concerts would be great e.t.c But i preffered TML to PATGOD. His Pink Floyd output may have been at times great but compare PATGOD to DSOTM or TW. It doesn't compare.

Dave was also a better guitarist imo, althiough this may seem an unfair comparison he even did sound better on SFOS. And while Syd may have had his moments i feel hs songs were mostly just psychadelic pop songs similar in style to Bowie, basically just not a patch on the work Pink Floyd would later do and in a sad way him going insane was the best thing to happen to Pink Floyd.
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

I think Dave's over-rated as a guitarist. He's hardly inventive. All he does is play blues formulas which I don't find all that impressive. I mean, that really is all he does.

On a more personal level, He also uses far too much chorus/flanger or whatever the heck that sickly sweet 'dripping in honey' tone of his is attributed to. Especially in the later albums.
Richter_M.
Knife
Knife

Post by Richter_M. »

I think any time that a member receives credit for being the driving force behind the band, at that time they are being over-rated in the true sense of the term. I apologize for the cliche, but Pink Floyd is greater than the sum of its parts. The band could not have been what it was/is without each members' contributions.

So when somebody says, "Waters/Gilmour/Barrett (or even Wright/Mason) was essentially PF," they are overrating that member. So in that sense, I think Roger, Dave, and Syd are all overrated - but I love 'em all anyway.
AthousandMilesOfMoonlight
Blade
Blade

Post by AthousandMilesOfMoonlight »

[quote]And while Syd may have had his moments i feel hs songs were mostly just psychadelic pop songs similar in style to Bowie, basically just not a patch on the work Pink Floyd would later do and in a sad way him going insane was the best thing to happen to Pink Floyd.[/quote )

The ringing of the division bell has begun! :evil:
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Syd.
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

mosespa wrote:Syd.
Ouch.

I'd only voted so I could see what the results are. Heh. So one of those votes for Nick was by default.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Oh my! :shock:
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

whos voted for roger so far? i didnt, im just curious
Keith Jordan
Site Admin