Gilmour was a cocaine addict?

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
The Great Pig In The Sky
Knife
Knife

Gilmour was a cocaine addict?

Post by The Great Pig In The Sky »

fancy
Embryo
Embryo

Post by fancy »

Great article, ty for sharing, would have missed it otherwise. Never heard Dave confess before on Cocain.
grelch
Knife
Knife

Re: Gilmour was a cocaine addict?

Post by grelch »

The Great Pig In The Sky wrote:Interesting interview http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/music/art ... ?version=1
I had a friend who worked for the staging company on the AMLOR tour. They had 3 stages that would leapfrog the tour cities because they would take so long to set up. He swore to me that Gilmour was a coke hound, and I never ever believed him.

I guess I owe him an apology.
MadJedi
Judge!
Judge!

Post by MadJedi »

the 87 tour was touted as the first tour all members were drug free...
growing up through the "break up" all the laundry was aired...the court transcripts are public info right? maybe we should get a copy and post it here...
Zoophobia
Axe
Axe

Post by Zoophobia »

I just posted about this topic on another board. I Mrs. Zoophobia did coke in highschool (everyone did in my circle) only a few times but from the times I tried it I can tell you it is very, very addictive. Really I don't know how I survived high school?

I am really proud of David for talking publicly about his coke habit it shows that anyone can be a victim of drug addiction (we're only human) and thankful for Polly for helping David kick the habit.

Also love the Tom Waits mention in the article. Really 'The old Tom Cats' work is brillant and his wife helped write a lot of it.

If you don't know Tom's work here is a video I have of his that is one of my favorite songs ever. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtQdsyW25E4

Well David my hats off to you for your open honesty.

I also like this quote from David:
"The album is about life death and everything in between, really. It is about mortality. Over the past few years my sister has died, other friends have died. We all end up back merging with the sea. Anyway, there's an emotional depth within an essential feeling of contentment."
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Alternative 4 »

Its funny where he says Polly feels he sometimes neglects the lyrics. Kinda like with Roger huh.
flouncey
Embryo
Embryo

Post by flouncey »

I'm surprised to hear of this but very glad he managed to kick it. I think he's pretty brave to admit it really because I don't think many people knew about it before.
thrill-seeker
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thrill-seeker »

:smt107
WishIwasthere
Hammer
Hammer

Post by WishIwasthere »

That's pretty surprising actually. It just goes to show though that nobody's immune.

I'm glad his wife Polly helped him kick it.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

I miss the times when Pink Floyd and their members where gods without a name or personal life and all that you could hear about them whas MUSIC.
The Great Pig In The Sky
Knife
Knife

Post by The Great Pig In The Sky »

Damn!t wrote:I miss the times when Pink Floyd and their members where gods without a name or personal life and all that you could hear about them whas MUSIC.
They are too old for that now :lol:
ESLAFTK2112

Post by ESLAFTK2112 »

I can disagree without getting degraded behind my back but I have to disagree what The Evening Standard said. I went to wikipedia to see if TES is a credible newspaper, turns out it is somewhat a tabloid. If this were in The London Times or New York Times then OK but a tabloid like TES no way Jose! TES were the same dudes who made a joke about Bon Scott's death when he died. Also, the tabs claimed Neil Peart had cancer and so on.
thrill-seeker
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thrill-seeker »

ESLAFTK2112 wrote:I can disagree without getting degraded behind my back but I have to disagree what The Evening Standard said. I went to wikipedia to see if TES is a credible newspaper, turns out it is somewhat a tabloid. If this were in The London Times or New York Times then OK but a tabloid like TES no way Jose! TES were the same dudes who made a joke about Bon Scott's death when he died. Also, the tabs claimed Neil Peart had cancer and so on.
Well I think David could pretty much sue the paper if this is all bullshit. :lol:
ESLAFTK2112

Post by ESLAFTK2112 »

thrill-seeker wrote:
ESLAFTK2112 wrote:I can disagree without getting degraded behind my back but I have to disagree what The Evening Standard said. I went to wikipedia to see if TES is a credible newspaper, turns out it is somewhat a tabloid. If this were in The London Times or New York Times then OK but a tabloid like TES no way Jose! TES were the same dudes who made a joke about Bon Scott's death when he died. Also, the tabs claimed Neil Peart had cancer and so on.
Well I think David could pretty much sue the paper if this is all bullshit. :lol:
I mean some "credible sources" once said Neil Peart claimed that he had cancer and leukemia. Then that turned out to be a hoax. He didn't sue them although he could because he is not a money-hungry dude. Those who sue tabloids are either losing money late in their careers or just want more money(examples Elton John, Britney, etc). John Deacon of Queen was claimed to have been cheating on his wife with a stripper which we know was not the case. Did he sue the paper that said he did, NO!
At the end of the day, the media and press write stories to make extra money. It is "SHOW BUSINESS". I only go by US radio interviews, TV interviews or reliable media outlets like Reuters not some newspaper. Another example was the Phil Anselmo wishing death upon Dimebag fiasco which he said "I hope Dimebag gets a beating" at the end of an interview as a tongue-in-cheek sort of thing. Then the mag turns it into he wished death upon a former bandmate and the headline of the magazine cover. I haven't bought a magazine in years nor do I read newspapers. The Evening Standard in England to me is like The New York Daily News, a rag which is hot air.
thrill-seeker
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thrill-seeker »

^^
David Gilmour isn't a money-hungry dude either....so far I haven't got that impression but I'm sure if he sued them he would give the money to his favourite charity 'crisis' or something. :)