Nashville Skyline

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
NewEarthMud

Nashville Skyline

Post by NewEarthMud »

In the past few weeks I've really been listening to this record a whole lot. David, I know you bought this on reccommendation by me (I think). What's your opinions of it?

My personal opinions are that it is an overlooked and underrated record. It's such a classic.. the duet with Johnny Cash is brilliant and a big moment in history.. not sure if this is the same version that was broadcasted on Johnny Cash' variety show when he and Dylan sang together.. I don't think it is.

On the inside of the cd slip where Johnny Cash speaks of Dylan is just beautiful.

Everything from the legendary duet to Lay Lady Lay to Skyline Rag to I Threw It All Away to Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You.. it's a brilliant record.

Any thoughts? I could understand why some didn't like the "country" Dylan, I personally loved it.
madcap69
Hammer
Hammer

Post by madcap69 »

Its a great album I love it :roll:
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

The album has many of the best lyrics i've heard and opens strong with the duet between Bob & Johnny Cash on the classic "Girl From The North Country". It closes 27 minutes later with "Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You", a song begging for somebody to cover it (Jeff Beck did in '72). No track gets much longer than 3 minutes making it a pleasing album for a short journey or something.

By no means my favourite Dylan album (have to be unoriginal and stick with Highway 61) but not the worst i've heard either. Dylan's voice on it is just great, it sounds so deep unlike a some others where he sounds almost whiney.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

This may be something you guys already are aware of, but Dylan did a live album with The Band called Before The Flood. I really like the live versions of Like A Rolling Stone, Lay Lady Lay and Rainy Day Women 12 & 35 that are on this album.

Of course, The Band also gets to play some of their songs and the versions of The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down and Up On Cripple Creek are outstanding.

Check it out if you don't already have it.