Do You Think Led Zeppelin is Over Rated?

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff

Do you think LZ is over rated?

Yes
41%
No
59%

Total votes: 49

Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Do You Think Led Zeppelin is Over Rated?

Post by Meddler »

Just curious...
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SomeGhostsStepOut »

I don't think so. They are a really good band.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

No way. They're not as good as Pink Floyd or The Beatles IMO, but they are certainly not underrated. I think they were the second best band of the '70s.
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

Okay... well maybe they are just overrated here in Oklahoma. All I hear is Led Zep this and bla bla I want to scream...
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Useful Idiot »

I like Led Zeppelin, but I had to vote for yes. I think they are good, but I (and I think i'm the only person alive who thinks this) feel that Robert Plant isn't a very good singer. Jimmy Page's stellar guitar work does something to make up for it, but great guitar and bad vocals don't make one of the greatest bands of all-time. Just my opinion though, so don't kill me.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Yet Another Movie wrote: I (and I think i'm the only person alive who thinks this) feel that Robert Plant isn't a very good singer.
I am willing to bet you are one of the few classic rock fans who feels Plant is not a very good singer! Not that there is anything wrong with having that opinion :lol:

I think Plant is one of the greatest vocalists of all-time.
madcap69
Hammer
Hammer

Post by madcap69 »

hell no
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

Yet Another Movie wrote:(and I think i'm the only person alive who thinks this) feel that Robert Plant isn't a very good singer.
No you're not.

Listening to him brings waves of nausea.

Led Zeppelin is totally overrated and the godfathers of all 80s hairbands.

You like them when you're a teen, and a few years later you wake up and think, "why am I listening to this?"

PF, on the other hand, you can listen to eternally. Sorry for the comparison. Feel free to substitute The Beatles or The Who if you wish.

Just my personal opinion, of course.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

You know...I've always felt that Jimmy Page was a better composer than a soloist...just me, though.

I can't really call this one, I suppose. I didn't really start listening to Led Zeppelin until I was 21 (but I also didn't start eating pizza until I was 12 and I waited until I was 25 to have my first apple pie...I'm a bit of a late bloomer, I suppose.)

I like a lot of their music...they covered quite a bit of stylistic ground...in fact, I don't think there's a style of music they DIDN'T cover in some form or another.

Maybe just slightly over rated...they weren't ALL that...but they were a good portion of that.
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

mosespa wrote:I waited until I was 25 to have my first apple pie...
with or without the crust?
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I'd have to say yeah, but here's why.

I love led zepplin, i just want to say that first, but i don't feel they're a great albums band, it's an art few have perfected, to be able to lay down a bunch of tracks and succesfully make an album out of them, Led Zepplin i feel can't. Their album are always slightly uneven with all the best songs being at the start and as such listening to the whole of albums like Physical Graffiti and Led Zepplin 2 can be difficult. Also, at times they songs showed a complete lack of innovation and towards the end of their career i feel they did have a fall.

Still, they're a VERY good band anyway, even if they are a bit over rated almost every band is.
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

no, not at all. if you think yes, then picture yourself in 1969 hearing led zeppelin II for the first time. there was nothing like it, they set the limits for everything to come in the 70s and were probably one of the most influential musicians of all time. they made incredible music and were so versatile, compare II to III and you will see what i mean. they are the greatest rock n roll band of all time imo and deserve all the credit they get. hell, i dont even think stairway to heaven is overrated, its an incredible song
Beatle Neil
Axe
Axe

Post by Beatle Neil »

The Zeppelin could be....blown up a bit, I guess....
but the band are awesome.

Dunno about 'over-rated' - when they were playing Madison Square Garden Black Sabbath were still lugging it round the UK venues......bad management. Something you could never associate Zep with.
Spirit Catcher
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spirit Catcher »

Not Overated
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

They were suposed to be the best heavy rock band in the world but IMO they were not as they played too many bluesy type tracks and their albums were too inconsistent.