Do You Think Led Zeppelin is Over Rated?

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff

Do you think LZ is over rated?

Yes
41%
No
59%

Total votes: 49

David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Yeah, it's hard to listen to a whole Led Zepplin album except 3 IMO.
Diin Jaffa
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Diin Jaffa »

Yes they are... Sometimes Plants voice sounds like 15 year old boy and lyrics are incredibly bad sometimes... Led Zeppelin III is their masterpiece but II is good/curse. II is inspiration for talentless hair bands.
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Post by JML »

LZ has few good songs but for me it's not that good band. For me there was many better bands in 70's.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Pugs on the Wing wrote:
mosespa wrote:I waited until I was 25 to have my first apple pie...
with or without the crust?

With.
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

Matti wrote:Yes they are... Sometimes Plants voice sounds like 15 year old boy and lyrics are incredibly bad sometimes... Led Zeppelin III is their masterpiece but II is good/curse. II is inspiration for talentless hair bands.
II was revolutionary, picture listening to it in 1969 and never hearing anything like that before. besides, its not led zeppelins fault that the hair bands came out. many good things influence bad things
Diin Jaffa
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Diin Jaffa »

Yeah. I guess so.. I mean Pink Floyds influences bad things are Rush And some Pretentious radiohead albums :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

ive only heard a few Rush songs, but they were beyond terribly awful, so i agree with you there

after pulp fiction came out, everyone thought they could make a movie exactly like it and alot of them sucked
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Yeah, the trick is to be influenced without showing your influences to much otherwise you may make "the poor man's" version of something. For example Tango being the poor man's Fanta.
Diin Jaffa
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Diin Jaffa »

and coldplay is poor mans version of R.E.M.

And about rush. I have 2112 and Presto. openings tracks are good but this is pretty below average stuff
NewEarthMud

Post by NewEarthMud »

Did someone mention 80's hairband when talking about Zeppelin? Are you out of your MIND?

Listen to Zeppelin I and tell me that is a hair band!

When has a hair band ever done a 25 minute epic tune like Dazed and Confused?

When has hair bands like Motley Crue or Poison or Van Halen done tunes like Battle of Evermore, Going to California, or Since I've Been Loving You? To compare Led Zeppelin to a hairband is the most ABSURD thing I've ever heard in my entire LIFE.

For ANYBODY to also state that Zeppelin is overrated is also extremely ridiculous. They are, hands down, the best rock band of all time. You think of "rock n roll band" and Zeppelin fits the image perfectly. Maybe the Beatles are officially the best but at no time did they create anything as interesting as Zeppelin, imho. They weren't the musicians that Zepp were and none of them could sing as good as Plant. Songwriting wise they were probably better but that can be argued as well, I'm sure. I love the Beatles but they weren't nearly as powerful as the almighty Zepp.

What other lead singer was/is as good as Robert Plant in his prime?

What about Jimmy Page?

What about John Paul Jones?

Bonzo?

Anybody who thinks they're overrated should go check out How the West Was Won on cd or the new Led Zeppelin DVD. Comeback to this board and then tell me Zeppelin is overrated.. at that point I'll then tell you you're an idiot.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Looks like you will be pointing at me and calling me an idiot. I saw Zep a couple of times and their shows were like their albums - inconsistent. To many slow/bluesy numbers and pointless chat between the songs. How the West Was Won and the new Led Zeppelin cd/dvd are just "best of's" -
re packaging of the well known songs for punters who only want to listen to the best bits. Songs like Dazed and Confused, although good in places were Zeps attempt to get in with the Prog. movement of the time, If you like a poor mans ELP. So although they were good at times the majority of the time they were second rate and therefore over rated.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

I actually think The Rolling Stones are a better rock 'n' roll band than Led Zepplin. The Stones i feel could do albums better (Exile On Main Street and Sticky Fingers) and definitly have more timeless classic rock tracks like Satisfaction, Sister Morphine and Sympathy For The Devil.

Ok, Robert Plant was a better singer than Mick, granted, Page was also better than Richards, but the Stones were the embodiment of rock'n'roll without the campness of Plant. The Stones also stuck to rock'n'roll more without the pretencious or blues nature of some Zepplin pieces (e.g a lot of their first album) and were purely no sh*t rock'n'roll.

Ok, i gather anyone reading this is going to think i hate Led Zepplin or something, i don't, i love led zepplin, i just feel they're a bit over rated.
Richter_M.
Knife
Knife

Post by Richter_M. »

I'm a bit of a Zeppelin fanboy, so please keep that in mind as you read this.

I think if LZ were any more highly praised, they just might be overrated, but as things are, they deserve all the credit they've received. I have no problem sitting through a single record of theirs - except maybe Physical Graffiti - in fact I find most of them far too short, at about 45 min. apiece. Their music spans many sub-rock genres, from artsy/prog-rock to grunge to blues to folk. But even amid these style changes, they maintain their distinct sound. Like most bands, they have their tunes that I've never been able to get into, such as Hats off to Harper and Moby Dick. My only complaints are Page's often sloppy guitarwork and the oodles of horrid bands they "inspired."

And I think the Stones are highly overrated, but that's just me.
NewEarthMud

Post by NewEarthMud »

drafsack wrote:Looks like you will be pointing at me and calling me an idiot. I saw Zep a couple of times and their shows were like their albums - inconsistent. To many slow/bluesy numbers and pointless chat between the songs. How the West Was Won and the new Led Zeppelin cd/dvd are just "best of's" -
re packaging of the well known songs for punters who only want to listen to the best bits. Songs like Dazed and Confused, although good in places were Zeps attempt to get in with the Prog. movement of the time, If you like a poor mans ELP. So although they were good at times the majority of the time they were second rate and therefore over rated.
ELP??!!! ELP?!!! Oh my.. I thought I had heard it all.

A poor man's ELP. C'mon man, get real.

Dazed and Confused... progressive rock? Have you ever even LISTENED to the song? It's a psychedelic blues number.. not prog rock at all. How could it have been progressive for the band when it was on their first record?

I've got over thirty Led Zeppelin concerts on cd and for sure there were MANY concerts when Plant sounded like shit and the whole band played shitty.. but there are also some absolutely brilliant shows.

Yes the DVD is a best of. It's five plus hours of the best of Led Zeppelin in concert. But it certainly isn't just five hours full of the "popular" Zepp hits or something. Did you expect them to release some footage of when Page was too stoned to hardly even play? Or shall they have released some good footage of Plant's voice being shot and sounding horrendous?

How were their records inconsistent?

Their whole first record was mainly blues.. and they done the blues like nobody had done it before. How could you not want to hear tons of great blues if you saw them in concert?

ELP=poor man's Pink Floyd
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Well, I saw the Knebworth '79 performance of 'Rock And Roll' for the first time this evening on TOTP2, and right now there ain't nobody who can convince me that Led Zeppelin are over-rated. :)

P.S. John Peel once called ELP a waste of electricity. :lol: He probably right. :twisted: