Do You Think Led Zeppelin is Over Rated?

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff

Do you think LZ is over rated?

Yes
41%
No
59%

Total votes: 49

Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

i have some led zeppelin bootlegs, and they still sound incredible, so dont just think that their new CD is just their best of stuff, because from what ive heard of them live, most of their shows were incredible

also, how can you say jimmy page is a sloppy guitarist? i mean, sure on stage, but think about how ****** up he was on stage all the time, and he seems alot less sloppy

led zeppelin is, as NEM said, the perfect rock and roll band. they had it all, looks, women, drugs, talent.......legends (sharky sharky!!!)
ObscuredEchoes
Judge!
Judge!

Post by ObscuredEchoes »

I can't stand Led Zeppelin! I do respect Page's guitar work, but it's too bad he didn't meet up with a better vocalist/ frontman. I find their lyrics forced, crude, and unnatural. I have never heard ANYTHING by them that I've wanted to hear one more time. Just my opinion...
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

ObscuredEchoes wrote:I can't stand Led Zeppelin! I do respect Page's guitar work, but it's too bad he didn't meet up with a better vocalist/ frontman.
Erm... Robert Plant is the greatest singer in the history of rock music.
Diin Jaffa
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Diin Jaffa »

I think Robert Plant is one of those singers that are either terrible or great. Like Billy Gorgan or THom york (or Roger waters :roll: )
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

ELP??!!! ELP?!!! Oh my.. I thought I had heard it all.

A poor man's ELP. C'mon man, get real.
I have to admit I was taking the P**s when i said that, but they are overrated - a bit like the clash and Nevarna, people like them because they feel they have to to be cool.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Young people these days certainly do at times. Everyone in my school likes Led Zepplin. I get a bit of a slagging for liking Pink Floyd 'cause they're not a cool band any more, but Led Zepplin everyone claims to love. Half the fans don't even own a single album and have only heard the song Whole Lotta Love.
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

Whether you LIKE LZ's music or not is really not the question, LZ defined an era and copied NO ONE. They were truly their own and the fact that they tried so many different styles is truth to their love of Rck n Roll.

Were they over-rated...As one of the most influential bands of all time... definatley not, as to wheather or not their music was good, history speaks for itself. If you don't like it then you are in a minority, which is OK, but you will have to concede that they were truly great.

so there :)
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

David Smith wrote:Young people these days certainly do at times. Everyone in my school likes Led Zepplin. I get a bit of a slagging for liking Pink Floyd 'cause they're not a cool band any more, but Led Zepplin everyone claims to love. Half the fans don't even own a single album and have only heard the song Whole Lotta Love.
figured it would have been stairway to heaven, thats more famous at my school

i never know what to think of people that claim to love classic rock, when they certainly dont seem like it. i hate to sound stupid, but i think everyone here knows what i mean, when a girl is talking to me about how avril lavigne is kinda cool, then i naturally mention led zeppelin, and she says "oh i looove them" i mean, what am i supposed to think?
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Tommy wrote:iwhen a girl is talking to me about how avril lavigne is kinda cool, then i naturally mention led zeppelin, and she says "oh i looove them" i mean, what am i supposed to think?
Yeah, i never understood how anyone could claim to like bands like LZ and also Avril Lavenigne. It's just because LZ are now a fashionable band to like, people presume they inspired Nirvana so that makes them cool and therefore their songs must be tracked down.

I know few genuine LZ fans from scholl, almost everyone says they like them but can't name any tracks other than WLL.
Diin Jaffa
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Diin Jaffa »

BTW, here is the list where LZ stole all of their 'great' songs:
http://www.wiwi.uni-frankfurt.de/~budim ... faq.htm#18

(JML has already seen that ;) )

I still think that they are extremely over-rated and they are EVERYTHING I hate in rock&roll. sorry...
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Post by JML »

Diin Jaffa wrote:BTW, here is the list where LZ stole all of their 'great' songs:
http://www.wiwi.uni-frankfurt.de/~budim ... faq.htm#18

(JML has already seen that ;) )
You have been spying on me when I ask all those stupid questions in sfnet... -groups :oops:

But that doesn't affect to the fact that their records (I, III, Physical Graffiti, How The West Was Won....) are the easiest way to get orgasm without using hands or a partner...
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Charade I am »

mmmm...I?m thinking yes, but at the same time...maybe not

Knife
Knife

Post by Sir. Psychedelic Soul »

Useful Idiot wrote:I like Led Zeppelin, but I had to vote for yes. I think they are good, but I (and I think i'm the only person alive who thinks this) feel that Robert Plant isn't a very good singer. Jimmy Page's stellar guitar work does something to make up for it, but great guitar and bad vocals don't make one of the greatest bands of all-time. Just my opinion though, so don't kill me.
yer not the only one i dislike plant's vox as well...i never found him to be a good singer....in my opnion he is a shite singer....all' she does is maon and keep saying BABY in every song and half the times he just mumbles sounds into the mic....an effective vox style for the music....it works...but as a singer he doesn't stand a candle to singers like john Lennon or Liam Gallagher.
MikeWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by MikeWaters »

Very overrated!
I think they were the second best band of the '70s.
Better than Wings? No way!
Sir. Psychedelic Soul
Knife
Knife

Post by Sir. Psychedelic Soul »

MikeWaters wrote:Very overrated!
I think they were the second best band of the '70s.
Better than Wings? No way!
Led Zepp was the 2nd best of the 70s and thats a fact....the wings were a poor Paul McArtney project....