My Rant

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Spirit Catcher
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spirit Catcher »

Meddler wrote:There is some sad movie playing in the background and when I read:
mosespa wrote:Roger is Pink...and Gilmour, Mason and Wright are Floyd.
I felt a tear built up. :cry: I don't know why. Its just this dang movie! ;)
It's great I was just there Good Job [-D-] [-D-]
enigma00
Axe
Axe

Post by enigma00 »

You are correct in the legal definition of the crediting of a song (chord progressions and melody) But you'd have to agree though, mosepa, that Roger did not write ALL the songs. There are they obvious ones, of course, credited to Wright (Great Gig), but becuase Dave sang on "Money" I tend to think he was a big influence in the vocal melody of that song, which, is also legally an important part of the song. So, I think that Money should be "Waters/Gilmour" but thats just me. Remember too, that many songs (before Animals and The Wall) credit all or 3 of them as legally having written the song.

Roger did write the majority of the songs, but from interviews with the other members, starting a little bit with WYWH and continuing to Animals and The Wall, he got a little greedy.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

enigma00 wrote:
Roger did write the majority of the songs, but from interviews with the other members, starting a little bit with WYWH and continuing to Animals and The Wall, he got a little greedy.
You have heard Wet Dream and Gilmour's first solo album, right? Roger was at his creative peak from '77 to '83. Gilmour and Wright, in particular, were not.
MoreOrLess
Blade
Blade

Post by MoreOrLess »

Funny you should say that i'd use just the same example to proove the oposite point, that being that Gilmour had a massive impact on latter period floyd albums that wasnt reflected in the songwritting credits. Gilmours first solo album sounds(musically that is not lyrically) way more like animals than any of the wall to me with the exseption of the tracks co written by him(might I add both run like hell and conforabley numb were written during the sessions for said album). I'm probabley way in the minority but Gilmours first solo album is my favourite release of any kind post 77(floyd and solo stuff). Having said that Waters certainly isnt unique in not giving other people credit, I mean Mick Taylor never got a single songwritting credit in the stones to my knowledge yet he had a massive effect on some of their best stuff.
Neil

Post by Neil »

MoreOrLess wrote:Gilmours first solo album sounds(musically that is not lyrically) way more like animals than any of the wall to me
I think his first solo album is way too laid back to sound anything like Animals IMO. I think it's quite unique actually.. although it does kind of follow on from the Fat Old Sun/Childhoods End sound I think. Although it's more 'bluesy'..
I think Gilmour probably did peak around that period. Between '77 and '79 anyway - 'David Gilmour' is a great record and let's not forget the music to Comfortably Numb, Dogs, Run Like Hell and Young Lust..
enigma00
Axe
Axe

Post by enigma00 »

I don't think that Gilmour's and Wright's contributions can be overlooked.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Gilmour and Wright's contributions should not be overlooked because they were a huge part of the SOUND.

But their contribution to Roger's songs also should not be mistaken as songwriting.

Let me put it this way...does the guy who paints a house deserve the credit for building it?

Or even HELPING build it?

He had no hand in building it...he's just painting it.
MoreOrLess
Blade
Blade

Post by MoreOrLess »

Thats a very poor comparison mosespa. If waters is the architect of the church of floyd then gilmour and wright painted the fresco on the roof ;)
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Right...they were painters.

The implication now is that the church could still stand without the painting...it just wouldn't be as pretty, right?
enigma00
Axe
Axe

Post by enigma00 »

Thats true, however, if Gilmour and Wright were mentoned so often in the credits (Echoes, Dark Side, Shine On) then obviously they helped contribute to the "building of the church" on those songs, and just served as "painters" on the Waters' only songs, such as 'Money', etc...
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

enigma00 wrote:...Gilmour and Wright were mentoned so often in the credits...
They do not have nearly as many credits as Waters.
enigma00
Axe
Axe

Post by enigma00 »

Obviosuly. But look alot of the more important things (Most of Dark Side, Shine On, Echoes, etc) those all have shared credits.
CHR15
Axe
Axe

Post by CHR15 »

enigma00 wrote:He wasn't contributing becuase Roger wouldn't let him contribute. At least, thats what I've read.

But you can really never believe anything anyway, can you? I don't know who is telling the truth and who isn't, or what is false and whats not.
I have heard that too. But I've also heard that he wasn't writing, and they all wanted to get rid of him because he had become dificult to work with. Does anyone know what really happened there? My guess is that it was somewhere in between. I do seem to remember that i've read interviews with him where he admitted he was at a creative low during that period.

I think mosespa put things into perspective really well when talking about the house building and painting.
Last edited by CHR15 on Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
enigma00
Axe
Axe

Post by enigma00 »

I'd have to agree.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Aw, shucks.

You guys are gonna make me blush :D