Dark Side Of The Moon on SACD

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
DrDark
Embryo
Embryo

Dark Side Of The Moon on SACD

Post by DrDark »

Well, what can I say, I bought my SACD player last christmas and I must say there wasn't much out there in this new format that tickled my sphicnter.

My first purchase was Roger Waters In The Flesh. At a whopping 35 bucks American. Well what do you know, same 5.1 mix as the DVD, who knew???

I then bought Herbie Hancocks Headhunter album, and needless to say I was floored by the use of the surround sound.

Yes my next purchase was Dark Side and once again it got me thinking that my purchase of the SACD player was a solid investment. Then my friend sent me this link:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/articl ... id=444&pag

At first I was thinking Alan Parsons was just being a bit jealous by not being involved in the 5.1 mix. But having copies of Dark Side on all 3 formats (stereo, quad, and 5.1) I think I have to agree with him on some points. There are some moments where things were mixed much better in the QUAD format than on the 5.1. Most of which you can read in the above link.

Recently I picked up Mike Oldfields Tubular Bells and Becks Sea Change. Both of these sound amazing. Becks new album is a must own for you SACD owners.

For you new SACD owners...be careful some of these SACD are in stereo only formats. I was freaking out when I saw the entire Stones collection on SACD. Unfortunately they're only stereo mixes, which to defeats the purpose of this format.

I just hope the