Delicate Sound of Thunder

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

The sound on this i think is alot better than 'Pulse' as it seemd to capture the live atmosphere so much better. Most of the concerts were played outdoors if i am not mistaken.
To my ears, 'Pulse' sounds that much more 'raw' than it's predecessor and left alone i believe in terms of studio overdubs and 'repairing'.
WishIwasthere
Hammer
Hammer

Post by WishIwasthere »

I bought the LP when it first came out and wasn't overly impressed by it. Not too exciting.
wietsed
Embryo
Embryo

Post by wietsed »

DSOT was released in the time I discovered Pink Floyd and I absolutely love this album. I also had the VHS once and I loved that one too, but in one of the moves I made, I lost this video.
So I would love to get it on DVD!
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

The audio installation of this isn't much to be in awe of. It really butchers the setlist of the tour, too.

The video is quite diffirent. Something is charming about the combination of lasers, a huge backup crew, million-dollar setlists, and vast stadiums with three men who don't know exactly what they're doing, one of which is afraid to do anything, one who is high on cocaine most of the time, and one who has a moustache and owns a vast collection of hats. (Oh, and the looming threat of one angry man with an army of lawyers and an expert Fonz imitation on the horizon.)

There is one edit too many, Welcome To The Machine, Machine/Frost/Machine, and Yet Another Movie/Round And Round are inexplicably absent, and the "dramatic" faded overlapping of screaming audience members is cheesy... but I rather like it. ESPECIALLY the AMLOR stuff (it really took on a life of it's own surrounded by lasers), and from that especially the Sorrow intro. This also has my favorite-ever take on Money. And this is the only pig footage we get on an official release, too.

If this ever makes DVD, I hope they make the decision to restore more songs, give us a full SOYCD, do a few less rollercoaster-editing and blue-tinting moments, and give us some close shots of Rick's keys and Dave's frets to replace the backup-girl-overdose and Scott-Page-during-non-key-parts bits. Maybe replace the front shot of Guy Pratt singing during Run Like Hell, since he looks like an idiot screaming at the top of his lungs as a microphone that was set too high for him.

Bonus features MUST include the AMLOR promo. That footage from a helicopter of Hospital Bed Beach can't be missed.
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Freddie Mercury »

Yeah even a reviewer of the AMLOR album at the time said the live show puts everything into perspective, and I never really got into songs like Sorrow until I saw DSOT. I just wish it was easier to see everything!

One of the coolest parts of the Atlanta video is at the beginning where one of the droids casually moves across the stage until the two lights shooting down from it perfectly line up with the two keyboard players as Shine On starts. Unfortunately we can't see things like this on DSOT :(

I heard at one time PF were actually embarrassed by DSOT, but I'm nost sure if that's true or if a poster just made that up. Venice is a good video but the way they kept cueing the Mr. Screen films wrong got irritating...maybe they could just release Venice and superimpose the films on the screen correctly like they did DSOT ;) Actually these days we could probably do it ourselves....
Progfrog
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Progfrog »

Wouldn'd mind...... i'd love to see the DSOT as well as the DB tour for real again, and again and again......
Azag_Thoth
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Delicate Sound of Thunder

Post by Azag_Thoth »

I saw both tours at the same venue...(the grand municipal stadium in Cleveland, no longer exists now)and I feel dsot was a better concert,lights were better and they ended up doing 4 oncors. I was 17 and loved floyd my friend and I bought 2 extra tickets to bribe someone(ended up being my friends aunt ex and his new girl) to take us from Cincinnati to Cleveland to see them. we gave them the tickets and bought road sodas and paid gas
we got there late the show was 20min old we ran to the stadium (several blocks away) we had nose bleed tickets even though we camped out all night at sears to get tickets. I was little buzzed and excited and all I could think was this may be my only chance to see my all time favorite brand I so in my head I was getting as close to stage as possible. I snuck past guard while my friend disappeared along with those who brought us.i ended up in row m,for 15 minutes then the true owner of the seats showed with guard and he asked me to see ticket I looked at it and said sorry I read it upside down my seat is row w seat 17 and walked away,he was so overwhelmed with people he let me go. I went to w17 and it was only empty seat in row and I stayed there rest.of concert about 100 feet or so from stage no one bothered me. left at end whealked to car seen my buddy sitting on cement curbe where car was supposed to be. they left,left us in Cleveland at 11pm with no place to stay and $1
75 between us we had to wait for my friends mom to drive 5hrs to pick us up,she got there at 10am next day. there is more to that story,a run in with cops, kicked out of Stofers(spelling?)hotel lounge,almost got to party with floyd who came into lounge just before we got booted. but I got off on a tangent. this was supposed to be a comparison of two concerts...

take two, pulse tour, i was older had my own car and money, had a hotel room and a bunch of friends. got to show early and my legit seats were about exactly in thr same spot as where i ended up at DSOT . the sound system was awesome before the show started they had what sounded like jets flying low over stadium, you could feel it in your chest. show started and it was like listening to a SACD in surround on a high end stereo. the light show was little less especially lasers but still impressive, what was really really awesome was it was open stadium and it started to shower on and off not enough to make you miserable but the rain in the lasers was insane and the clouds over the stadium were low enough that the beams were drawing shaped on the clouds. that really kinda made up any differences in the light shows. all and all both concerts where absolution awesome.
brell
Blade
Blade

Post by brell »

There is a DVD called "Shine On" with the DSOT concert. Released in 2009. I may be able to give more info later.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Its just the original concert version of DSOT ripped to DVD a bootleg not official. i have the cd version of it

https://www.discogs.com/release/3451851 ... ne-On-Live