This might be insensitive but .....

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

This might be insensitive but .....

Post by wiped »

... expect at least a few Syd Barret documentaries to pop up on TV over the coming months ...
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Necessary!! 8) Celebrate his achievement!!!
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

Now that I have the oppurtunity to say something insensitive, I must say that Syd's death might be another "good cause" for Pink Floyd to reunite. It's a shame that he's dead, but we must be optimistic! :wink:
Ringorocks

Post by Ringorocks »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:Now that I have the oppurtunity to say something insensitive, I must say that Syd's death might be another "good cause" for Pink Floyd to reunite. It's a shame that he's dead, but we must be optimistic! :wink:
Bullshit. If Pink Floyd were to reunite for some thing in Syd's memory, it would be yet another one-off thing that will get the hopes of hundreds of fans way up where they should not be. Do we really need more one time concerts? Live8 was the PERFECT ending of the complete Pink Floyd. They overcame their disputes for the greater good, and if done more than once, it gets old. I'd like to remember the last concert Pink Floyd with Wright, Mason, Waters and Gilmour as a noble and charitable one. Syd's death is in no way a "good cause". A silly little concert is not worth a human life.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

Well, if he doesn't get a tribute show like Freddie Mercury did, I'll feel grossly insulted. Imagine the line-up!. Pink Floyd (I'm sure they'd at least do SOYCD), David Bowie, R.E.M, Placebo, Pearl Jam...

I'm sorry if this comes across as inappropriate. Instead of looking at it as me drooling over some yet-to-happen concert, stop and look at those names. These are among the numerous artists that have been inspired by Syd, even though his tenure in the music business was so brief. His mark has been made - he can rest in peace now.

EDIT: I just noticed I'm a judge now. What a weird day...
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Please don't get me wrong, Ringo. I never said another Pink Floyd concert was worth Syd's life. I just think it would be nice to see them up on stage again, specifically for the cause of remembering and honoring Syd.
Last edited by The Gunner's Dream on Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

It would just be nice for some of us who really admired Syd to be able to congregate together somewhere in Cambridge and remember the man and his legacy.
thrill-seeker
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thrill-seeker »

I doubt there would ever be a tribute concert to Syd Barrett like there was with Freddie Mercury. :lol: Good old Freddie was different. There are [i]loads[/i] of "casualties" like Syd's. He is not as big as Freddie Mercury.

Why am I discussing this ? :? I'm bored :lol:
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

Find one artist who can leave such an imprint on the world of music with such a short tenure in the business and so little material, even though it was so many years ago. Just one.

Having trouble yet? :wink:
Last edited by olzen on Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thrill-seeker
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thrill-seeker »

moodyblue wrote:It would just be nice for some of us who really admired Syd to be able to congregate together somewhere in Cambridge and remember the man and his legacy.
Yes, I think that would be great too. Though I don't know if anyone else thinks it'a a good idea. They're not speaking out. I'm going there in the future regardless :)
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

olzen wrote:Find one artist who can leave such an imprint on the world of music with such a short tenure and the business and so little material, even though it was so many years ago. Just one.

Hendrix...but yeah, I see your point
Ringorocks

Post by Ringorocks »

I know what you meant, Gunner. I simply meant that I don't think it would be nice to see them on stage again. I like them just as they are now.
thrill-seeker wrote:I doubt there would ever be a tribute concert to Syd Barrett like there was with Freddie Mercury. :lol: Good old Freddie was different. There are loads of "casualties" like Syd's. He is not as big as Freddie Mercury.
You're absolutely right. Freddie was still very much in touch with media, press, fans and the world, basically, until he died. And to add to it, his death was more "tragic" because he died of AIDS. Most people knew who Freddie was. Unfortunately, not that many people know who Syd is. Especially not the younger generations.
Ringorocks

Post by Ringorocks »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:
olzen wrote:Find one artist who can leave such an imprint on the world of music with such a short tenure and the business and so little material, even though it was so many years ago. Just one.

Hendrix...but yeah, I see your point
The whole 27 club if you ask me. Except Brian Jones. And the time thing automatically excludes Kurt.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

Ringorock wrote:You're absolutely right. Freddie was still very much in touch with media, press, fans and the world, basically, until he died. And to add to it, his death was more "tragic" because he died of AIDS. Most people knew who Freddie was. Unfortunately, not that many people know who Syd is. Especially not the younger generations.
Time to give the chavs a real kick in the butt and teach them just who Syd was, then!
Ringorock wrote:The whole 27 club if you ask me. Except Brian Jones. And the time thing automatically excludes Kurt.
That's true. I stand corrected... somewhat :wink:
Last edited by olzen on Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thrill-seeker
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thrill-seeker »

Actually, with respect, I think all this "Syd's the best" or he out-does the rest by far is only in your own mind and other's here. It's just how you feel and not everyone does and not everyone has heard of him. You can appraoch someone on the street and ask if they've heard of Syd Barrett....most people I think would probably say no. He is not a genius. His songs aren't that different to others in the 60's. He's influencial to an extent. And is NOT world famous for what he has done. Don't misunderstand me...I like the guy but I will not go over the top and say he's a genius. I'm just as upset today as you are.