This might be insensitive but .....

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Floydian Slip
Axe
Axe

Post by Floydian Slip »

Ringorocks wrote:
thrill-seeker wrote:I doubt there would ever be a tribute concert to Syd Barrett like there was with Freddie Mercury. :lol: Good old Freddie was different. There are loads of "casualties" like Syd's. He is not as big as Freddie Mercury.
You're absolutely right. Freddie was still very much in touch with media, press, fans and the world, basically, until he died. And to add to it, his death was more "tragic" because he died of AIDS. Most people knew who Freddie was. Unfortunately, not that many people know who Syd is. Especially not the younger generations.
I personally think that, if a concert were to be played, it would be more fitting if it was a quiet, intimate performance with only those who cared about Syd in the audience. It doesn't matter how many people didn't know about Syd, it's those who did that count.
Ringorocks

Post by Ringorocks »

Floydian Slip wrote: I personally think that, if a concert were to be played, it would be more fitting if it was a quiet, intimate performance with only those who cared about Syd in the audience. It doesn't matter how many people didn't know about Syd, it's those who did that count.
Very well said.
And judging from how Syd lived his life, I think quiet and intimate is the way he would have wanted it as well.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

Syd the musician was different from Syd the person, though. I'm sure the band and the family will find out what's appropriate, really. There are plenty of people out there who'd be willing to pay tribute to Syd, and a whole lot who probably wouldn't mind being brainwashed :wink:
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

Something tells me some money-wanting record company or higher-up is going to try making a buck by releasing something posthumously. I'm actually hoping someone will do that; I still want to see an official Scream Thy Last Scream/Vegetable Man and the other outtakes of the era. The means of the releasers may be bad, but I'm still ready to shell out some money to replace Have You Got It Yet.

Alright, if the promotion is TOO sleazy I MIGHT pirate it. Out of respect for the late Syd's memory.
thrill-seeker
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thrill-seeker »

Tenniru wrote:Something tells me some money-wanting record company or higher-up is going to try making a buck by releasing something posthumously. I'm actually hoping someone will do that; I still want to see an official Scream Thy Last Scream/Vegetable Man and the other outtakes of the era. The means of the releasers may be bad, but I'm still ready to shell out some money to replace Have You Got It Yet.

Alright, if the promotion is TOO sleazy I MIGHT pirate it. Out of respect for the late Syd's memory.
Sound like something Classic Rock would do.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

thrill-seeker wrote:Sound like something Classic Rock would do.
I wouldnt be at all surprised if the next album they picked on was Piper.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Tenniru wrote:Something tells me some money-wanting record company or higher-up is going to try making a buck by releasing something posthumously. I'm actually hoping someone will do that; I still want to see an official Scream Thy Last Scream/Vegetable Man and the other outtakes of the era. The means of the releasers may be bad, but I'm still ready to shell out some money to replace Have You Got It Yet.

hate to say but i bet them bastards at classic cock will cash in on this the scumbags :twisted:
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

I was more hoping EMI and maybe Rosemary herself (I don't know if she'd do that, but she's the only person who can) would open the archives starting now; similar approaches for other just-dead artists have worked. (Remember the John Lennon Collection?)
Maybe a live album of the Games For May event or another show, the sessions with the Floyd on the BBC, Opel II (Living Alone, Millionare, Rhamadan, and the '75 sessions are still out there), a remastered mono Piper and a rarities set (Early Singles + London '66/'67), and something with studio outtakes of the time (uncropped Piper tracks, Sunshine, the Untitled Experiment, Scream Thy Last Scream, Vegetable Man, Millionare, One In A Million).

I'd buy that, but not Cash-In Documentary #151, Piper Is Talked About On DVD, or something.
tea-set
Hammer
Hammer

Post by tea-set »

i feel strange and partly bad for discussing this so soon but i'd be lieing if i said it hadn't popped into my head.

i would be much more interested in seeing a display of his paintings, sure a release of songs would be great but to understand ROGER KEITH BARRETT i think the secret is in the paintings
Ringorocks

Post by Ringorocks »

Reakwon (very old member, Ringo's boyfriend, not remembering if his accounts here exists at all, and nobody knows me anyway):

I don't think there should be a farewell show, tribute show, or you name it... simply because it wouldn't be what Syd would have wanted.. same goes for releasing unreleased stuff..
there was a reason why he shut himself away from the world and especially from Pink Floyd.. he didn't want to have anything to do anymore with Pink Floyd.. so i assume he didn't want to be a part of the "music world" after his attempts on a solo-career..

and back to the tribute thing:
i don't think Dave, Rick, Nick, or Roger would want to play Syds Songs, and i honestly don't think they would be capable of playing or singing WYWH or SOYCD without bursting in tears.. and i also think that many many spectators would just come to see the "famous Pink Floyd" and not paying tribute to the man who made all that possible:

(made that thing a few years ago.. the only grafik that actually looks okay)
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

If they did something along the lines of The Concert for George that Eric Claptain put together in memory of his true friend that would be great.They could sell the dvd-cds and donate the $$$ to diabeties or some mental health group in the memory of Syd.
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

Firstly, i was very sad and shocked to hear about Syd's death, even though we all knew he was in bad health for a while.It is weird so much has happened around the Floyd lately, Steve O'rouke died, Storm was very ill, Live 8 reunion, Gilmour's solo album, Waters opera, UK hall of fame,Nick's book.Pulse finally released, and now Syd.

The idea of celebrating his life is fine, even if it was a short life musically, he made a huge impact, mabye a concert is a good idea, maybe not, i guess it would have to be upto his family really.As for releasing anything, well, ok, but give it a year or 2 please!!!.I would be more happy with some sort of permenant memorial in Cambridge.
henno

Post by henno »

i think syds mourning and his tributes will, fittingly, be all 'underground' and not mainstream......
pinknewbie
Hammer
Hammer

Post by pinknewbie »

Will the band be involved in the funeral in any way?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

pinknewbie wrote:Will the band be involved in the funeral in any way?
IT WILL be, according to those closest to Syd Barrett?s family, ?a private family funeral?.

Presumably that means that an invitation won?t be extended to Roger Waters, Rick Wright and Nick Mason. No reunion, then, for Pink Floyd ? the vehicle with which Barrett gave psychedelia a plummy British accent for the first time.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 09,00.html