This might be insensitive but .....

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Ringorocks wrote:
The Gunner's Dream wrote:Now that I have the oppurtunity to say something insensitive, I must say that Syd's death might be another "good cause" for Pink Floyd to reunite. It's a shame that he's dead, but we must be optimistic! :wink:
Bullshit. If Pink Floyd were to reunite for some thing in Syd's memory, it would be yet another one-off thing that will get the hopes of hundreds of fans way up where they should not be. Do we really need more one time concerts? Live8 was the PERFECT ending of the complete Pink Floyd. They overcame their disputes for the greater good, and if done more than once, it gets old. I'd like to remember the last concert Pink Floyd with Wright, Mason, Waters and Gilmour as a noble and charitable one. Syd's death is in no way a "good cause". A silly little concert is not worth a human life.
we need HOPES. Because hopes are like a light in a tunnel, which may actually come to you (=happen) ;)
Ringorocks

Post by Ringorocks »

People with hopes just end up being disappointed.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

If you can't bear some disappointments in life, you might as well just lock yourself into a room and stay there. I kinda did that a while ago, but eventually I found it wasn't doing much good :P
Ringorocks

Post by Ringorocks »

You're absolutely right, Frede. But disappointments can come without a person having any hope what so ever, so why invite even more disappointments by hoping? Am I making any sense? Probably not.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

I see your point, just don't forget that hopes can have positive outcomes as well. In this context, we got Live 8. God knows how many times in life you're gonna get disappointed. But running away from them instead of taking them with the good things will never be the right solution. Well, at least that's what I found.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Whatever doesn't kill you only makes you stranger :twisted:
Zarquon
Blade
Blade

Post by Zarquon »

To be honest if Pink Floyd dont reunite next year now with this sad news that Barrett is passed away I will be surprised.

Live8 may have been 'a romantic end' but to me it wasnt a good end
uwtd
Axe
Axe

Post by uwtd »

Was anyone else disturbed that the news was withheld for days?
Ringorocks

Post by Ringorocks »

I completely agree, Frede. One shouldn't run away from things. But in my opinion, having high hopes to something is opening a door to disappointment. This, to me, is self inflictment of psychological pain. Hoping for a PF reunion of course isn't very severe, but the chance of disappointment in that area has always been bigger than the hopes actually coming true. Hopes are good. Unless one exclusively hopes and doesn't expect the worst. So.. hope for the best and expect the worst, basically.

But I truly don't hope for a reunion. Not a big one, anyway. With lots of new "cool" bands performing at a tribute concert, lots of people who have NO idea who Syd was will exploit the opportunity to see their favourite band and not have Syd in mind at all. If there would be a tribute, I'd prefer to see it in the manner of the George Harrisson tribute (as someone mentioned before) with TRUE friends of Syd performing. Like PF, David Bowie etc. But I think it would be wrong of PF to perform songs that have nothing to do with Syd. If they played something from i.e. Animals, I would think it is an outrage.
Ringorocks

Post by Ringorocks »

uwtd wrote:Was anyone else disturbed that the news was withheld for days?
I think it's great. That way the family could have some time to mourn over the death of Roger Keith Barrett before the world of PF fans go hysterical about Syd's death.
floydboy75
Blade
Blade

Post by floydboy75 »

Ringorocks wrote:
uwtd wrote:Was anyone else disturbed that the news was withheld for days?
I think it's great. That way the family could have some time to mourn over the death of Roger Keith Barrett before the world of PF fans go hysterical about Syd's death.
Absolutely. He had family before he had fans. His family made the right decision.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

We might get a few documentaries. It would be nice if TV archives did some rootling out for unseen footage.

As for telling the fans. We didn't need to know straight away as it changes nothing. Its not like we will be going to the funeral or anything.
reaction in G
Embryo
Embryo

Post by reaction in G »

I have been in a state of quiet reflection since I heard the news of Syd?s death. His music has and still does mean a great deal to me on a very personal level. Although sadly I am not old enough to have witnessed the early Floyd in the flesh I am old enough to remember DSOTM live when the song ?on the run was? no more than a great little choppy guitar piece.

I have an older sister who was very much into the scene and as a kid I had access (luckily I believe) to albums such as Revolver, Sgt Peppers, ?Piper, Saucer, SF Sorrow, Ogden?s etc? etc?. Regardless of passing fads and influences and the fact that my own time was really the punk era, this period of music quite (rightly in my opinion called the Gold age recently by Joe Boyd), has fascinated me all my life.

We have been without Syd Barrett since the early 70?s and have since shared this planet with a troubled individual who has sadly passed on but is hopefully now free of his pain, a man who once was so to speak. Our thoughts and condolences must go out to those who new him as he was for the most part of his life and not for just for the short lived brightly burning star he was as Syd.
We all have something of him anyway and always will with the knowledge that others will grow up and discover his music. - May it mean as much as it does to me.

What I would hate is the whole dead celeb, circus that tends to surround such events and the taking of past events and distorting them to make them more news worthy and the dwelling on the dark side. Some of his music too can be very out of place to the wrong ear and/or environment. There was very often angst, a slightly grey turning darker area to his lyrics and he always found a chord structure to match the mood. Sometimes I find it hard to listen to some of his work it just??????..dunno I can?t explain. At other times though I am filled with joy

Dear Mr Roger Keith Barrett, I hope you have found your peace. Thank you for your gifts of music and I hope we will keep them as we have all these years as cherished curios of a by gone time when everything seemed possible and set the scene for all we have today regardless of that being a good or bad thing.

Syd???????.that cats something I can?t explain.
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

thrill-seeker wrote:I'm just as upset today as you are.
I very highly doubt it, if your words are an honest representation of your point of view.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

Wow, Sabine, you're possibly even more cynical than me!

I'm impressed!

:smt079

:lol: