This might be insensitive but .....

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

The following "mossification" is brought to you in the full knowledge that it could trigger off a chain reaction that Jambo has predicted...prepare for the universe to implode...
Ringorocks wrote:1. One shouldn't run away from things. But in my opinion, having high hopes to something is opening a door to disappointment.

2. This, to me, is self inflictment of psychological pain.

3. Hoping for a PF reunion of course isn't very severe, but the chance of disappointment in that area has always been bigger than the hopes actually coming true.

4. Hopes are good. Unless one exclusively hopes and doesn't expect the worst. So.. hope for the best and expect the worst, basically.
1. Ah...but if disappointment comes to even those who don't hope, why attempt the futile task of trying to keep disappointment out of your life? Why not just fling open the door? Either it will enter or it won't...keeping the door shut won't keep it out, maybe opening it wide won't guarantee it's entry.

2. Knowingly opening yourself to disappointment is not inflicting psychological pain on oneself, as I see it (but this could just be me,)...the trick is to NOT place too much importance upon what it is that you hope to see.

This may sound insane, but it is possible to appreciate a thing, event, etc. without really forming an attachment to it. It is the attachment that is the source of disappointment when something that one wishes for fails to occur.

So...how does one hope for something without forming an attachment that will leave one open to disappointment?

That takes a little bit of work and I'm afraid I'd have to hold a seminar and charge people money in order to talk about it in further detail :twisted:

However, if you order my nine dvd set now, I'll include a free eggbeater.

3. I agree with this statement since they've been inactive for 12 years now. Oddly enough, this should actually lower one's disappointment when they continue to fail to do anything since we should now be used to the idea that they're not going to do anything.

4. I have always lived by this statement...it seems to be to be the sanest way to live.
thrill-seeker
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thrill-seeker »

SydsMadcapGirl wrote:
thrill-seeker wrote:I'm just as upset today as you are.
I very highly doubt it, if your words are an honest representation of your point of view.
I don't have to sound hysterical and start saying how much of "a genius he was" just to show how that I feel saddened by this. I just don't agree with many people saying he so big and highly famous. So it may "go against" what the majority here says and come across as disliking Syd but all I'm doing is speaking my thoughts. I don't have to suppress them.
Ringorocks

Post by Ringorocks »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:Wow, Sabine, you're possibly even more cynical than me!

I'm impressed!

:smt079

:lol:
Ah, you flatter me. :lol:

Sean:
a)I never said I want to keep disappointment out of my life. I simply meant that I want to minimize it. Big difference.

b)Apparently we see that differently (oooh, mosespa and Ringorocks DISAGREE! Pop the champagne! This must be the first time eva!!!!!!!!111one)

c) I'm glad you agree.

d) Okay

Notice how I answered point d) in true Lama Shenpen style 8)
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Ringorocks wrote:
b)Apparently we see that differently (oooh, mosespa and Ringorocks DISAGREE! Pop the champagne! This must be the first time eva!!!!!!!!111one)
Which part?

Do we disagree that it is possible to look forward to something without forming an attachment to it?

Or that it would take a seminar, 9 dvd set and an admission charge for me to teach how?

Or that I will include an egg beater with each order of the 9 dvd set?

BTW...nice Lama Shenpen reference :D Made me laugh out loud.
Ringorocks

Post by Ringorocks »

mosespa wrote:Knowingly opening yourself to disappointment is not inflicting psychological pain on oneself, as I see it
On this part.
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

thrill-seeker wrote:
SydsMadcapGirl wrote: I very highly doubt it, if your words are an honest representation of your point of view.
I don't have to sound hysterical and start saying how much of "a genius he was" just to show how that I feel saddened by this. I just don't agree with many people saying he so big and highly famous. So it may "go against" what the majority here says and come across as disliking Syd but all I'm doing is speaking my thoughts. I don't have to suppress them.
Whatever. If you don't see his genius, then you obviously haven't appreciated him (or his contributions) as much as those who do see it have. Because, you know, [INSERT SARCASM HERE] his songs sound like everyone else's who were doing psychadelic experimental pop in the 60s...I absolutely LOVE that Jefferson Airplane tune that sounds JUST LIKE "Scream Thy Last Scream". [END SARCASM]

Nobody said you have to "sound hysterical". I have not "sounded hysterical", nor can I necessarily point a finger at anyone else on this forum who has. Syd Barrett has been and always will be a huge influence on my life, and absolutely my most favorite person in music. He has always been especially endeared to me. I don't believe he is "so big and highly famous", as you state those of us who see his genius must think...otherwise he wouldn't be constantly referred to by the media as having "cult status".

Look, any death is sad. More specifically the circumstances leading up a person's death. But it is especially sad to those who have been affected by the person who has passed on. You don't want to consider him a genius? Fine. That is your opinion, and this world would obviously be a very boring place if we all agreed (which is very elementary and redundant for me to state).

But please just don't undermine his contributions, or the fact that many others after Mr. Barrett, musicians and fans alike, have been extremely moved and changed because of what he had done. And what he hadn't had the chance to do. One who is NOT considered to be a "genius" by many woud not have made the mark he had, especially because the world was given the gift of his music for such an abbreviated moment in time.
Atom Heart Sun
Blade
Blade

Post by Atom Heart Sun »

Anyone clamouring for a "Pink Floyd reunion" in relation to Syd/Roger's death should bloody well be ashamed of themselves. Get your arses out of this or any other Syd discussion and go indulge your selfishness elsewhere.
Read some interviews from just prior to Roger's death: even Rick has joined Rog and Nick now in saying he'd do something again. If you want it so bad then let it be because they enjoyed playing at Live8 etc but "Pink Floyd Syd Tribute At Wembley and USA Tour Plus Album" or anything like it has no place in this discussion.

Also, any official Floyd performances of WYWH and SOYCD would be utterly tasteless and inappropriate: don't you think these songs have been paying tribute enough already over the decades? It is not at all necessary to do it yet again at this point in time.
Furthermore, these two tracks are more about the other Floyd members' feelings towards their erstwhile bandmate than they are about Syd. For instance, in Shine On Waters paints a picture of Syd to convey his emotion, his love, respect and guilt. Now is NOT the time for Mr Waters to be parading these things about, there has been plenty of time for that and we all already know what Waters had to say with those songs.
It is not the time to think of how beautiful Waters' lyrics are, it is a time to think about Syd/Roger and to be respectful to those who were genuinely close to him (which was NOT YOU, fellow fan).

If there is any kind of official tribute for Syd/Roger it should be an exhibition of his painting work. It's all very nice to have yet another version of Scream Thy Last Scream albeit labelled 'officially released', but we would not learn much more about the artist and very little about the man himself, whereas an art exhibition would definately help us understand him and his motivations and in a respectful manner that is much more akin to what he himself expressed was important to him. Forget that and you know nothing about Barrett.

I believe musical tributes and performances of ANY songs (even WYWH and SOYCD) right now can only be done by the fans and must not be touched by the officialdom unless, for instance, Gilmour is doing a show on his own tour and just decides to express himself with a one-off of something. Anything organised and official would leave a bad taste in the mouth.
I am not saying there should be NO musical tribute at all for Syd (in an official sense), but that it should be done with taste and respect for both Syd's memory and the feelings of his family.
This is an opportunity for us the fans the pay OUR tributes by going out to the bars and dives where we play to 3 men and a dog for beer and little money and do the right thing, play the right tune and turn at least somebody on to the magic that was left behind by a most beautiful artist.

Barrett IS a cult figure, was highly artistic and IS without doubt hugely influencial on not only UK music but also US music ever since '66. This (thankfully) does not place him in a commercial mainstream but look what that Doors film did for Jim Morrison's image here: the average person quite probably now HAS heard of him, even if they don't know much about him or are full of rubbish because of the sort of film it was! Don't forget, a film of Syd has already been more than mentioned and in high quarters.

Finally, along with some respect we also need to have some patience: I'm sure sooner or later something more that is nice and is lasting will come out of this.
thrill-seeker
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thrill-seeker »

SydsMadcapGirl wrote:
thrill-seeker wrote: I don't have to sound hysterical and start saying how much of "a genius he was" just to show how that I feel saddened by this. I just don't agree with many people saying he so big and highly famous. So it may "go against" what the majority here says and come across as disliking Syd but all I'm doing is speaking my thoughts. I don't have to suppress them.
Whatever. If you don't see his genius, then you obviously haven't appreciated him (or his contributions) as much as those who do see it have. Because, you know, [INSERT SARCASM HERE] his songs sound like everyone else's who were doing psychadelic experimental pop in the 60s...I absolutely LOVE that Jefferson Airplane tune that sounds JUST LIKE "Scream Thy Last Scream". [END SARCASM]

But please just don't undermine his contributions, or the fact that many others after Mr. Barrett, musicians and fans alike, have been extremely moved and changed because of what he had done. And what he hadn't had the chance to do. One who is NOT considered to be a "genius" by many woud not have made the mark he had, especially because the world was given the gift of his music for such an abbreviated moment in time.
I have not undermined his contributions. I do appreciate him. I'm a Pink Floyd fan. I know how important Syd is. Any Floyd fan that doesn't is a fool.

If you think I didn't shed a tear when I heard he died then you are completley wrong. So don't you dare subtly accuse me of not giving a shit. Syd just didn't affect me in the same way he effected you. Once again I haven't undermined his contributions...I simply don't agree that he was a genius - I see no evidence for that and I cannot just take Rick Wright's (if it was him) word for it when he says he could have been one the worlds greatest song writers..."could have been" is not good enough.

If you think he's a genius then that's just your opinion then !
Atom Heart Sun
Blade
Blade

Post by Atom Heart Sun »

The genius debate is an interesting one. Barrett's stuff is right up there for me (he was my lifetime number 1 hero) but I think the problem is his output is a little short.

There are countless genius classical composers but their so-called genius usually lies in a larger body of a lifetime's work that has an immature phase (upon which little can be based as genius) then a body of mature, master works.
Syd never really got out of the immature phase, although obviously there are masterly moments (Emily, Dominoes etc). Also, rock musicians compared to classical composers just can't compete, however unfair the comparison is: their art is not nearly so complex and doesn't take anything like the study and training that classical music once did.

I believe there are very few people in popular music who really are a genius, even though the word is commonly banded about often as a mutual-backslapping exercise for celebrity egos.
One that I can think of (in my opinion) would be Richard James (Aphex Twin) who has a decent body of work in many diverse styles almost all of which is high quality, he has also been highly influential (Radiohead basically ripped him off).
He has been described as a modern Mozart, whose music has been played by classical musicians in a serious way even though he makes techno(logical) music ie. electronica.
His influence has been great to modern music (he helped invent Drill 'n' Bass in the mid-90's amongst other cult genres) and yet most people reading this probably have never heard of him (he's not sold his soul to celebrity bullshit), but I can assure you that the cutting edge of todays musical movers and shakers have heard of him, and also that you indeed have also heard his stuff though you may not realise, on countless TV documentaries and such like if you live in the UK at least.
Selected Ambient Works Vol II is quite possibly the greatest ambient album of all time, and yes I am aware of Brian Eno (and he's also a fan..) He also turned down Madonna unlike other trivial producers like William Orbit.

Syd was highly talented but sometimes I cannot be sure if his short output can have reached and sustained the high water mark that is true genius.

Think about it: Einstein, Shakespeare, Mozart..

Although my heart says he's blatantly a genius my head disagrees.

[Edits for grammar, typos etc]
oldperfume
Blade
Blade

Re: This might be insensitive but .....

Post by oldperfume »

Great To see so many opinions on Syd: Tribute or no tribute....genius or not & everyone is entitled to their own opinions. NO ONE in these last 4 pages is absolutely right. My opinion: Syd WAS A Genius & I think about all the music that came after he was ill & 99% of them can't hold a candle to him. PERIOD!! 2nd, you all know they did a tribute at the Barbican for him & all 4 Floyd's were there but Waters had to leave early to pick someone up from the airport!?!? SERIOUSLY?!? This is a tribute to a guy you grew up with, supposedly a close friend & you can't get one of your lackies to do an airport run. Then he doesn't play w/ the est of the Floyd & the song he does (only 1 ???) isn't even a Barrett song , but one of his own. To me, extremely distasteful. This is AFTER Live 8, what's the problem Rog? Ego can't fit thru the door or be on stage w/ your old band!?! Dedicate a bench to him in his hometown, or build a statue to the sky of him in all his psychedelic glory; that's what you do. Then, go home throw on the mono mix of "Piper", fire one up & enjoy an album of the likes of which you will NEVER hear again...... But that's me.
30yrsydfan
Axe
Axe

Re: This might be insensitive but .....

Post by 30yrsydfan »

oldperfume wrote:Great To see so many opinions on Syd: Tribute or no tribute....genius or not & everyone is entitled to their own opinions. NO ONE in these last 4 pages is absolutely right. My opinion: Syd WAS A Genius & I think about all the music that came after he was ill & 99% of them can't hold a candle to him. PERIOD!! 2nd, you all know they did a tribute at the Barbican for him & all 4 Floyd's were there but Waters had to leave early to pick someone up from the airport!?!? SERIOUSLY?!? This is a tribute to a guy you grew up with, supposedly a close friend & you can't get one of your lackies to do an airport run. Then he doesn't play w/ the est of the Floyd & the song he does (only 1 ???) isn't even a Barrett song , but one of his own. To me, extremely distasteful. This is AFTER Live 8, what's the problem Rog? Ego can't fit thru the door or be on stage w/ your old band!?! Dedicate a bench to him in his hometown, or build a statue to the sky of him in all his psychedelic glory; that's what you do. Then, go home throw on the mono mix of "Piper", fire one up & enjoy an album of the likes of which you will NEVER hear again...... But that's me.
well said.