Reactions by floyd members or other musicians

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Reactions by floyd members or other musicians

Post by ganaffe »

We've heard a few words from David Bowie, but do we know of reactions on Syd's passing by any other musicians? in particular by Nick, Rick, Roger or Dave?

It seems strange to me that no one has reacted so far...
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

I would say that's fairly typical of the privacy that these guys like to have but i am sure at some point we will hear their reactions. I wouldn't bet on them turning up to the funeral either although i would have thought given what we know about their relationships with Syd, it would be somewhat surprising.
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

I suppose your right, although I wouldn't have been surprised by some sort of official statement, especially from David or Roger...

But how about other artists? There's loads of them who claim Syd as a major inspirator... but no one besides Bowie has made any comments yet.

I somehow expected the news of Syd's passing to drop like a bomb on the whole 'rock n roll circus', but apparently it didn't. Or maybe it is just too early.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Julian Cope has, but few people here pay attention to him! It's not just Bowie.

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/headguide/?id=105
Brain Damage wrote:Tributes to the man have been flooding in following the announcement yesterday afternoon. A statement from Pink Floyd said: "The band are naturally very upset and sad to learn of Syd Barrett's death. Syd was the guiding light of the early band line-up and leaves a legacy which continues to inspire."

Roger Waters added, "It's very sad. Syd was a lovely guy and a unique talent. He leaves behind a body of work that is both very touching and very deep and which will shine on forever."
pinknewbie
Hammer
Hammer

Post by pinknewbie »

I read that The Red Hot Chilli Peppers opened their most recent concert with Intersteller Overdrive.

Thought that was awesome.
talaandthomas
Embryo
Embryo

Post by talaandthomas »

On David's site it says:

"We are very sad to say that Roger Keith Barrett - Syd - has passed away.

Do find time today to play some of Syd?s songs and to remember him as the Madcap genius who made us all smile with his wonderfully eccentric songs about bikes, gnomes and scarecrows.

His career was painfully short, yet he touched more people than he could ever know.

If you're one of those people, and would like to leave your thoughts, please feel free to do so."

According to the NME, Roger has said:

"It's very sad. Syd was a lovely guy and a unique talent. He leaves behind a body of work that is both very touching and very deep and which will shine on forever."
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

Thanks for the reactions. It's good to read those remarks.
Maybe we could collect them in this thread.

(that's a very nice move by the RHCP, btw. Would love to hear their IO)
thrill-seeker
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thrill-seeker »

Here's what Jon Carin said. From the DG blog.
Hi everyone. I just wanted to write my bit for Syd.

So odd and sad. A dislocated loss. Never having met him, but singing his songs and songs about him my entire adult life has left a permanent mark on me. What would all of our lives have been like if he hadn't done what he'd done? Roger, David, Nick, Rick, Storm, but also countless musicians, engineers, artists, producers, ....

I love his music... the unpredictability... all roads leading to sidestreets, out to an open field under the stars, wandering freely without a rule book, and the balance between vulnerability and splendor of his words.

"Wouldn't you miss me at all ?" I already do and I never got to say "Thank You". I would have liked to.
:)
Craig Marion
Blade
Blade

Post by Craig Marion »

Very nice words from Jon...he's good people.
Salmonberry Compendia
Blade
Blade

Post by Salmonberry Compendia »

pinknewbie wrote:I read that The Red Hot Chilli Peppers opened their most recent concert with Intersteller Overdrive.

Thought that was awesome.
There's that video on youtube on John Frusciante singing Golden Hair at their concert on tuesday night (11th July) in Manchester.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7rLvXt4xYA
(another, better version) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rsXbCLIUMY

EDIT: He did Jugband Blues last night (12th July).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aP5H8gnrSo
Last edited by Salmonberry Compendia on Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

This was quite nice, the Damned's main page.

http://www.officialdamned.com/
pffan1990

Post by pffan1990 »

Craig Marion wrote:Very nice words from Jon...he's good people.
Yes, I agree; it was nice of Jon to say those things. I've always looked up to him as a good person in addition to a good musician.
kriss
Axe
Axe

dave regret?

Post by kriss »

there was a little story from the daily mail yesterday quoting dave saving i paraphrase "i wish i had made that extra effort to see him when I heard he was ill and still around", not sure if true tho...!

I m not a fan of the red hot chilli peppers music but john`s solo tributes to syd are fantasticly moving, esp jugband blues, seem them on utube.

the land in silence stands...............
henno

Post by henno »

I really like those tributes from John Frusciante...... personal and touching...
Stween
Axe
Axe

Post by Stween »

Brian May had the following to say on his blog:
Brian May wrote:**Wed 12 Jul 06**
RIP SYD BARRETT

I'm very sad to hear this. I never met Syd, but "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" will always be one of the most evocative albums of all time for me. It will always bring back images of .....all the things I glimpsed but didn't quite understand as a young teenager, dazzled by the explosive birth of Psychedelia, the mysteries and delicious promises of a quality of spiritual life undreamed of by our parents ... Syd Barrett somehow encapsulated all that in this amazing tapestry of songs ...

Very sad that he is gone. I hope, deep down, he felt the warmth of what he gave us ...

I will go and dream to Interstellar Overdrive ...

RIP Syd. Thank you.

Bri

? brianmay.com