Reactions by floyd members or other musicians

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
astroguato
Embryo
Embryo

Post by astroguato »

From Opeth:
2006-07-12
Our thoughts today goes out to the spirit of the recently deceased Syd Barrett. Shine on....!
WishIwasthere
Hammer
Hammer

Post by WishIwasthere »

During the intro to Wish you were here at his concert in Lucca, Italy, on July 12, Roger makes the following statement :

"We dedicate this whole evening to Syd... My old friend. But particuarly this song."

His voice breaks as he speaks.
Gem
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Gem »

I think photographer Ross Halfin has missed the point somewhat.
Ross Halfin wrote:Read Mick Wall's diary, he got all the who-ha about Syd Barrett spot on. According to The Guardian newspaper Syd was god on earth and a true rock casualty - this is real Pseuds Corner stuff. Even Nick Kent got carried away with the Cult of Syd and he can write. Let's put things into perspective here. He made two good albums with Pink Floyd, two average solo albums and then fully left planet earth. What about real rock casualties like Keith Moon, or Jimi Hendrix. I mean, come on... The Cult of Syd, what next, the Cult of Graham Coxon? Fuck off. Never mind what Graham Coxon thinks - or David Bowie.

Can't wait for Mick's book on Syd - out next Monday...
Ringorocks

Post by Ringorocks »

Mick Rock wrote this:
I'm very sad to learn of Syd's demise. I haven't spent time with Syd for over thrity years but he left his lasting mark on my life on the photos I did with him in the beginning of my career. The images of our encounters pointed the direction which my life has taken creatively. Syd was a fabulous enigma, like the Scarlet Pimpernel he seemed both damned and elusive - and like the pimpernel the last laugh is on the rest of us...
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Gem. wrote:I think photographer Ross Halfin has missed the point somewhat.
Ross Halfin wrote:Read Mick Wall's diary, he got all the who-ha about Syd Barrett spot on. According to The Guardian newspaper Syd was god on earth and a true rock casualty - this is real Pseuds Corner stuff. Even Nick Kent got carried away with the Cult of Syd and he can write. Let's put things into perspective here. He made two good albums with Pink Floyd, two average solo albums and then fully left planet earth. What about real rock casualties like Keith Moon, or Jimi Hendrix. I mean, come on... The Cult of Syd, what next, the Cult of Graham Coxon? Fuck off. Never mind what Graham Coxon thinks - or David Bowie.

Can't wait for Mick's book on Syd - out next Monday...
What a tit!!
cRaB
Knife
Knife

Post by cRaB »

Mention on Tool's web page:

12 July, 2006 (01:49pm)

SYD BARRETT RIP

Lots of you have been emailing about the death of Syd Barrett, cofounder of Pink Floyd, who died on July 7th at his home in England. The Grand Dreaming of a Treasured Eye for Syd at age 60.

http://www.toolband.com/news/index.html
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

henno wrote:I really like those tributes from John Frusciante...... personal and touching...
I don't like RHCP but respect to Frusciante ... that was very nice.
cansarp
Embryo
Embryo

Post by cansarp »

wiped wrote:
henno wrote:I really like those tributes from John Frusciante...... personal and touching...
I don't like RHCP but respect to Frusciante ... that was very nice.
there was a video in youtube where john sings "long gone" but i can't find it now. Whatever, I really like his covers of Syd and thanks for him.

By the way, I saw that Graham Coxon ex-Blur member also mentioned Syd's death in an interview
oldperfume
Blade
Blade

Re: Reactions by floyd members or other musicians

Post by oldperfume »

Who the HELL is Ross Halflin?!?! If you don't think that highly of Syd (as we all do!) that's fine, alot of people don't. (No account ing for people's tastes!!) But we don't need your acerbic vitriol on this site. We ALL FEEL a deep sense of loss with the passing of Syd & this is 3 years after the fact. So screw you!! Don't mess with people I look up to, who's music has gotten me thru some really tough times, who was as original as Van Gogh. Leave us alone please!!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Reactions by floyd members or other musicians

Post by Keith Jordan »

He seems like an idiot. He has even put his shitty watermark for copyright on his site homepage on a picture of himself. How pathetic!

Hey baby. I'm Ross Halfin. Syd was a poo poo head! *Giggle giggle giggle*