Syd Barrett - A Fish Out Of Water

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Syd Barrett - A Fish Out Of Water

Post by Keith Jordan »

Anyone got a copy of this? How many were made ? I notice they are numbered. Does anyone want to sell me one?? I want one! And I want one today!!!!!!!

tea-set
Hammer
Hammer

Post by tea-set »

i have 2 but they are rrp'ing at

?175,000

or yopu could give me the deed to NPF

mwaaa haaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

You have two? It would only be right for you to sell me one!! I'm not paying ?175,000 though. That is a little steep!! :lol:

Anyone bought from this site: http://eil.com/

They seem to be selling them for ?16.99

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=233631
Frinkium
Blade
Blade

Post by Frinkium »

I got one about 2 years ago from Red Eye Records in Sydney for about AU$35. It's interesting, but nothing amazingly spectacular. It's cool to see some of Syd's artwork in glossy colour, but given the size of the book, they're a bit small (and there's really only a few pieces shown).

I only bought it at the time for the CD, but the interview with Rosemary is an interesting insight into Syd's (or Roger's) life outside Pink Floyd, although the Italian to English translation is a bit quirky in places. I think I've only read it once or twice. I'll have to dig it out again and have a flick through.

:wink:
oldperfume
Blade
Blade

Re: Syd Barrett - A Fish Out Of Water

Post by oldperfume »

Hey Neil! If you're reading this, I know you posted on this thread a LONG time ago & if you still don't have a copy of "Fish out of Water", I have one. It's half English/ Italian & the translation leaves alot to be desired but it is interesting. They talk to Rosemary who sounds a little bit like she's in denial, but it's an interesting read. I joined this site a few months ago, forgive me as I look over old Past threads.You have a great website by the way & it's great to see like-minded Syd fans, since the people I associate with tend to believe th B.S. about him. Happy Holidays!!.......
sonsofthedesert
Embryo
Embryo

Post by sonsofthedesert »

I bought a copy of this in 1996,it was sealed and wasn't numbered and was issued with a mini c.d containing Lucy leave/King Bee(allegedly digitally cleaned up from the acetate) and contains some very rare photos of Syd's artwork,discography and bootleg listing.It is CERTAINLY worth seeking out!

Maybe it has since been reissued thus explaining the discrepancy in price,either way it has some charm about it as a fan produced item and the dodgy translation from Italian to English will certainly amuse :lol:
Also as documented it includes a rare first hand primary source account from Syd's sister Rosemary!
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Is the interview with Rosemary real? In this book, she tells information that seems to contradict other sources.
An example from memory: She's telling Syd is poor because of getting no money from his music. She tells Syd wanted to buy bongo's and he (nor she) didn't have any money for it. She said that maybe Syd does receive money by post addressed to "Syd Barrett" and therefore thrown away unopened.
This means she complains about having little money, while not bothering about Syd possibly throwing his money away! Then I almost wondered if the whole Barrett family is crazy. :)
However, this story doesn't match with Syd being looked after by Gilmour. And somehow I just can't believe the family being so careless about money, not even bothering whether Syd receives it or not. And when Syd died, he was a millionaire. Wasn't he?
Has this matter ever been clarified?
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

Wolfpack wrote:Is the interview with Rosemary real? In this book, she tells information that seems to contradict other sources.
Right so, I´d say the main "problem" is one poorly translated sentence in A Fish Out Of Water, other sources tells a different story, incl. Adam Barrett (Syd's oldest brother) who took care of Syd´s business.
1drunk

Post by 1drunk »

[quote="Wolfpack"]Is the interview with Rosemary real? In this book, she tells information that seems to contradict other sources.
An example from memory: She's telling Syd is poor because of getting no money from his music. She tells Syd wanted to buy bongo's and he (nor she) didn't have any money for it. She said that maybe Syd does receive money by post addressed to "Syd Barrett" and therefore thrown away unopened.
This means she complains about having little money, while not bothering about Syd possibly throwing his money away! Then I almost wondered if the whole Barrett family is crazy. :)
Yes, this is not so hard for me to believe, could easily space out and do that a number of times or out of habit, realise it's wrong one day, mistakenly open 'your own letter' hahaha, and maybe figure out what the shite is for and go cash it at the bank if feeling lucky or bold - or if someone's especially needy loofly give it to the family and ask her to purchase the drums perhaps because it's definitely way to scary to go into any store when you're all freaked out like that. mmmmhmmm.